It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Anal burning and itching

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2003, 09:51 PM   #1
    tagger
    Veteran
    (female)

tagger HB User
    Post Anal burning and itching

My poor 8 yr old boy has really run the gammut lately. 6 days ago he was diagnosed with an ear infection and was put on Amoxicillin. Then he contracted an eye infection from me (I really did try to wash my hands a lot!) Yesterday he complained of an "itchy, sore bum". I established that it was in his anal area.
    I am using Anusol and frequent baths to try to help him cope with this.
    My question. Can a male catch a yeast infection from an antibiotic? I know that anytime I've been on an antibiotic I have suffered from this.
    Could it be entirely coincidental and maybe be a parasite? We haven't done the "flashlight at night" thing yet. Maybe I should get a requisition for a stool sample?
    I felt so bad for him today. He is having trouble coping with all these problems and was in tears at one point. He says he's not constipated nor does he have diarrhea. (though his diet is not high in fibre..picky eater) The doc seemed to think hemmoroids (sp?). At such a young age?
    Any advice appreciated...Tagger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #2
    OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime HB User
    The deal with yeast infections is that the antibiotic kills the good bacteria in the intestinal tract allowing the yeast to run rampant in the intestine. You see, the good bacteria keeps the normal yeast population in check. Without the good bacteria, the yeast grows out of control.

So, yes, a male can contract a yeast infection.

The first thing to try might be to feed him yogurt several times a day while he is on the antibiotic and for at least a week following.

You could also give him acidophilus milk. You would need to check with you Doc to see if he is too young for Acidophilus suppliments if he has diary allergy issues. I have given them to my 6 yo, so I believe they are alright but you probably want to talk to your Doc.

Tucks Medicated Pads helps relieve itching and burning, too, but the package says under age 12 consult with Doc.

Good luck.

Bec

Old 07-10-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
    tagger
    Veteran
    (female)

tagger HB User
    The doc mentioned Tucks so I guess they should be OK for him. Feeding him yogurt would be great, I have done the same for myself when on antibiotics. Unfortunately for him I might as well be feeding him snakes eyes..LOL!!. When I said picky eater I wasn't kidding!
    Would the yeast infection not be apparent, redness, excretions etc?
    I'm going out tomorrow for the Tucks pads anyway. Sounds better than Anusol for him.
    Thanks for the info...Tagger

Old 07-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #4
    OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime HB User
    Ahhh, picky eaters are so much fun, aren't they?! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

You might try the acidophilus supplements then. The deal with yogurt is it has the acidophilus good bacteria that the GI tract needs to get the yeast in check.

Good acidophilus supplements will require refrigeration since they are live.

The Tucks pads are great to relieve the itching and burning but won't resupply the GI with acidophilus. Can he swallow the gel caps? If not, you can open it up and sprinkle it into something else he will eat. You really can't taste it. I hid meds in my kids food all the time.

Good luck.

Bec

Old 07-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #5
    tagger
    Veteran
    (female)

tagger HB User
    Thanks for the help. The itching has subsided so I think it may have been hemmoroids (sp?) as the doc said. He likes raw veggies and dip or some salads so I'll keep serving them. (I like casually placing them on the table when I know the kids will be hungry, after school etc)...Tagger

Closed Thread