It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 7 yr old wetting problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2003, 08:29 AM   #1
    willow24

willow24 HB User
    Question 7 yr old wetting problem

my daughter had surgury for reflux (where the urine goes up to the kidneys due to the structure of the ureters) when she was 5 and it was my understanding (from what the doc said) that the reflux caused her wetting. Well, she still wets and the reflux is gone. She has seen a different urologist and they have given her meds that they give older people with incontinence, and a med that decreases the amount of urine produced. We tried these with no results. The next step is a drug that "connects" the brain with the bladder. It seems to me that they just dont know WHAT it is. WHen I initially spoke with the urologist, I brought with me a list of possible conditions she might have that I had researched myself..Apparently this offended him and he told me not to worry-&-"we will take care of it"..At this point he proceeded to prescribe her those drugs. I am reluctant to let them give her a drug that messes with her brain. Does anyone have children that has/had reflux or wetting problems? The poor child wears pullups at night and has been such a trooper.. Just last night she said "Tonight I wont wet!" and didnt wear a pullup This morning her bed was wet I never get upset with her-- I know its not her fault, I can be patient with her- its the doctors giving her and i the runaround that really ticks me off!!
    Any suggestions appreciated THANKS!!

[This message has been edited by willow24 (edited 08-21-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 08:11 PM   #2
    maglib
    (female)

maglib HB User
    Did you try a bed wetting alarm yet? I am thinking about purchasing one for my son who is 5.5 and he still has bed wetting issues. I researched the drugs (they don't give them till child is 7) and I don;t think that I would give them to my son due to the side effects and they really don't solve the problem.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:51 AM   #3
    hobogirl
    (female)

hobogirl HB User
    I have a son that is 14 who still wets the bed sometimes. We did the nasal spray, I believe that it was called DDRP, and it really worked. Bed wetting does run in families and my doctor told me that they do not know why. I know that it is difficult to deal with but please reconsider the medicines, my son had no side effects.

Old 09-07-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
    mydestiny
    Inactive

mydestiny HB User
    I would also suggest the nasal spray if you havent tried it yet. I took it when it first came out, I was in my early teens. It worked wonders. As an adult I wet about 4-5 times a year because I am a very deep sleeper. My DD 5 and 7 also wet about 2x a week. Its no deal to me or for them. I will look into the nasal spray for them when the time comes that I bothers them. Good Luck!

Old 09-16-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
    Pebble2

Pebble2 HB User
    Have a son who wet the bed well into his teens, but not as much after reaching puberty. Most times, could be attributed to a big test in school or some other dramatic occurance. It'll go away. Main thing is not to chastise - only makes it worse. Cut back on liquid intake after 6 or so may help.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:30 AM   #6
    willow24

willow24 HB User
    Thank you for your replies-- I havent checked back here in awhile. I posted this in urology as well and got some responses.
    We have tried the nasal spray already and unfortunately it didnt work. I dont like that these docs are giving her meds just seeing if they will work. They are just experimenting with drugs on her and are not looking for the CAUSE of the problem. I know it could be a number of things but they dont want to take the time to look into it.
    Maglib-- Where can you get the bedwetting alarms? Do you know how much they cost? I will look for info online but if you know of the cheapest or the best brand or what please let me know
    Thanks, all

Old 09-26-2003, 08:11 AM   #7
    sweetpea31

sweetpea31 HB User
    Well I am having the same problem myself, my son is 7 and still wetting and we have tried the nose spray, pills to the point they want him to take 1 am and 4 at night, they work for a few days and quit and I dont him to be taking so much medicine! I thought about trying the alarms too but they are expensive and what if it donr work, I have even took my son to a Chiropracter to try it, I thought it was helping but then my husband said will he have to go for the rest of his life to keep from wetting? We quit buying the pullups and he sleeps even if he is soaked in his underwear, We are wahing clothes and blankets everyday. Once in awhile he will go two days without wetting but I am so disouraged and at my wits end. I dont think my son is Lazy, my nephew had a problem too where his little alarm so to speak tells you to pee was not fully developed so I dont know I just dont know, the doctors want to put him on meds and I feel like they just dont care. Help anyone.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:11 AM   #8
    willow24

willow24 HB User
    Sweetpea--Sounds like we're in the same boat! I have considered taking my daughter to a chiropracter.. what did your chiropracter say about what causes the wetting????. I bought a brand new bed-wetting alarm on ebay for 20.50 including shipping!! I will let you know how it goes since our little ones seem to have the exact same "problem".
    Why did you quit the pullups? We have run out before and I know my daughter is going to wet the bed and sleep in it no matter what-- I know not wearing a pullup isnt going to help the situation .. It only causes extra extra washing for me!

The whole thing wouldnt bother me except like her friends know about her wearing pullups (she has spent the night at thier homes and tells them straight up--she knows she cant control it and tries to explain and be open about it) and kids are not nice when it comes to differences. They make fun of her-- she wears a "diaper". That is what ticks me off- but kids will be kids and I know my girl will just be stronger and I know that this has made her a stronger person already having to deal with it. It is unfortunate but I think it has helped her become a compassionate person!

Anyway~ I will post results from the alarm for anyone interested.. We should be getting it in the next few days

Old 09-30-2003, 11:39 AM   #9
    Kimianne
    Veteran
    (female)

Kimianne HB User
    Hi Willow:

I am sorry that the other kids are being mean about this. It is very hard to accept when someone hurts your child.

What I'd like to say is that if you do not feel comfortable with what the doctor is doing/trying with your daughter- please seek a new one.

From my personal experience there are a lot of doctors out there that just do not listen. Like you said, if you bring in information that you researched they get offended.

I saw (depending on how your insurance works) start interviewing them for your care. You have every right. You are paying them.

Please let us know how you make out.

God bless you.

------------------
    Kimi
    Life is a gift. Your loved ones are the benefits.
    Respect them both and you will reap the rewards.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:33 PM   #10
    willow24

willow24 HB User
    Kim- thank you for your advice. I am honestly fed up with doctors, but if the wetting alarm doesnt work, I will be probably be "doctor-shopping".

I wanted to share with you all an article I just read that is very interesting. It is copyrighted, so I cant put the whole thing-- but I'll explain it...

It says that there has been studies linking bedwetting to breathing problems. A doc in Sydney Australia believes breathing problems are caused by a narrow palate. He has found that 8 out of 10 children referred to him for bedwetting problems have this condition. If the roof of the mouth is narrow, the tongue is pushed back and can partially block the airway during sleep. no one is sure why an obstructed airway may lead to bedwetting. One theory is that breathing problems create pressure in the abdomen that stimulates urination. Another is that breathing problems lead to low blood oxygen concentrations that could affect hormones involved in urine production.
    There is also a theory that since some children stop wetting the bed immediately after the removal of swollen tonsils or adenoids, hormones play a part in bedwetting.

Interesting, eh?

Old 10-13-2003, 08:13 PM   #11
    natureguy

natureguy HB User
    Question

I don't have children yet, but I read two different things that parents can try to help the problem.
    First one is raising the foot board slightly higher that the head board. The second one is taping a cotton ball to the lower back of the child. This prevents them from laying on their back and wetting. These are in no way harmful unless your child has breathing problems like asthma. You can check with your dr for additional ideas.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:06 PM   #12
    CDA
    (female)

CDA HB User
    Hi, My Brother and I both wet the bed when we were younger, me until about 14 him until about 16.. we just grew out of it... I have a four year old who toilet trained HERSELF at 2 and has never wet the bed once or worn pullups from day one, but at first I used to get up every couple of hours through the night to check on her and also woke her to take her to the toilet. You could try checking on her in the night and you may find that she does it at a certain time every night and then you can wake her before that time and take her to the toilet.. maybe worth a try. I know how she feels.....

Old 10-21-2003, 03:18 PM   #13
    kelplus2

kelplus2 HB User
    Hi eveyone!

I too, have a boy that is turning 11 today and still wets. I'm blessed in the fact that his good friends know about the problem and don't tease him. He doesn't tell anyone about it until he knows they are his true friends.

We have tried it all, short of the nasal spray...is it called DDAVP??? We tried these pills, they don't work, I buy pullups until I'm crazy, I've taken him to the dr more times than I can count (I'm going broke paying for copays). I have tried the potty pager which he hated because it was heavy and uncomfortable on his underwear. I bought a pad that is an alarm that goes off when he wets, he would wake up enough to unplug the thing and then go back to sleep. He is a very deep sleeper, so when I go in to wake him up in the night (usually when I get up to pee) he won't wake up. I've limited liquids after 6,5,4, the kid's going to dehydrate. I'm totally at a loss.

His dad did this until he was 12, my dad did until he was 12 or 13 and his uncle did until he was 16!! The poor guy didn't have a chance of not doing this.

I'm almost to the point of just letting it go. I hate it...even with the pullups, I'm washing sheets and comforters at least 3 times a week (he does it religiously every night). I know that kids don't go to college wetting the bed, but it is hard on their little psychies...and I feel so bad that I can't fix it and make it go away, because that's what we mom's do.

I have a friend who's son is 12 and still wetting, but has allergies. He is now seeing an allergist and recieving allergy shots weekly and has stopped significantly, so if any of your kiddos have any type of allergy, that might be a path to try. I've thought about it for my son, he hasn't shown any signs of allergies, but I've heard that this can cause a lot of issues with kids...the primary being ADD. It's worth a thought.

Good luck to you and and to my boy. There has to be something we can do for these kids!!!

Old 10-21-2003, 03:21 PM   #14
    kelplus2

kelplus2 HB User
    Hi eveyone!

I too, have a boy that is turning 11 today and still wets. I'm blessed in the fact that his good friends know about the problem and don't tease him. He doesn't tell anyone about it until he knows they are his true friends.

We have tried it all, short of the nasal spray...is it called DDAVP??? We tried these pills, they don't work, I buy pullups until I'm crazy, I've taken him to the dr more times than I can count (I'm going broke paying for copays). I have tried the potty pager which he hated because it was heavy and uncomfortable on his underwear. I bought a pad that is an alarm that goes off when he wets, he would wake up enough to unplug the thing and then go back to sleep. He is a very deep sleeper, so when I go in to wake him up in the night (usually when I get up to pee) he won't wake up. I've limited liquids after 6,5,4, the kid's going to dehydrate. I'm totally at a loss.

His dad did this until he was 12, my dad did until he was 12 or 13 and his uncle did until he was 16!! The poor guy didn't have a chance of not doing this.

I'm almost to the point of just letting it go. I hate it...even with the pullups, I'm washing sheets and comforters at least 3 times a week (he does it religiously every night). I know that kids don't go to college wetting the bed, but it is hard on their little psychies...and I feel so bad that I can't fix it and make it go away, because that's what we mom's do.

I have a friend who's son is 12 and still wetting, but has allergies. He is now seeing an allergist and recieving allergy shots weekly and has stopped significantly, so if any of your kiddos have any type of allergy, that might be a path to try. I've thought about it for my son, he hasn't shown any signs of allergies, but I've heard that this can cause a lot of issues with kids...the primary being ADD. It's worth a thought.

Good luck to you and and to my boy. There has to be something we can do for these kids!!!

Closed Thread