It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Baby not pooping!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User
    Baby not pooping!

My son is 4 weeks old and breast feeding. The first few weeks were no problem, and now all of a sudden, he will only poop when I take the diaper off. He's not constipated, but he pushes and grunts all day. I feel so bad for him, I have no idea what could be wrong. Has anyone ever had a problem like this with a baby that isn't constipated? I've tried different diapers, just in case he actually had a preferance, but it didn't matter. I also tried putting a tiny bit of a lubricated q-tip up there, at the advise of my mother in law, and that didn't stimulate anything. Any ideas or advise would be really appreciated!
    Carrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
    Re: Baby not pooping!

Hi there! Congrats on your baby! A breastfed baby's bowel habits can change at around 3 or 4 weeks. It is perfectly normal for a baby to go less often, sometimes a week or more without a bowel movement. As long as the stool when he does have a bowel movement is of normal consistancy he is fine. Does he have plenty of wet diapers per day? I do find it strange that he will poop if you take his diaper off. That I can't explain! Let him nurse as often as he wants for however long he wants and I'm sure he will go eventually.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
    siren1024
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

siren1024 HB User

Ditto! Both of mine have done this. My DD usually only goes every 3-4 days, my DS could go up to a week. Breast milk has almost no solid waste, so that's why they don't need to go.

I was told it didn't matter how often they pooped when they were breastfed. Anywhere from 8 times a day to once a week or even less can be normal, as long as the poop looks normal when it comes out.

Warning: all babies look like they are having a hard time pooping when they are having a large BM. The muscles are still trying to figure out what to do. So it may LOOK like the baby is constipated (DD even cries) but as long the poop is softer than play dough and yellowish, they aren't constipated. We just went through this last week because my DD was crying with every BM. Apparently she just doesn't like the pooping sensation. Poor thing! She also grunts and strains all day on the day she poops.

My mom said I would also only poop when you took my diaper off. Does he go when you lift his legs up after taking his diaper off? That may be why. It helps immature muscles push that stuff out. LOL. My DD also does this.
    DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 05-28-2005 at 05:59 PM.

Old 05-30-2005, 04:01 AM   #4
    Kiera1595
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiera1595 HB User

DD was the same way too. She just stopped pooping one day. But I took a trick from the animal world. My daughter would poop if I wiped her rectum with wipes. It stimulated things. Mommy animals will lick their newborns there to get them to go. I've raised quite a few kittens and I was always wiping their bums with warm washcloths. You could give that a try. But yah, DD went like 4-5 days without pooping for about a month. Now at 3 months she's back to going everyday...strange!

Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
    confuzeled
    (female)

confuzeled HB User

I was told BF babies might not poop as often because they use the breast milk more efficiently and may not have as much waste.

It's normal and your baby is unlikely to be constipated. It just may be uncomfortable.

Just a warning, if it's been a few days without a poop, put your baby in clothes you don't care about and wait it out. You might have a blow out poop Up the back, down the legs, etc. You can either chuck the mess or wash it, but sometimes there are stains which is why I recommend old clothes.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
    GloryGurl
    (female)

GloryGurl HB User

HI There, The safest product i have found to help stimulate the little ones to have a bowel movement are Infant Glycerin Suppositories. Most generally they will work immediately but could take up to 15 minutes.

Good Luck,
    GloryGurl

Closed Thread