It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• One year old Teeth Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
    Platinum33
    Veteran
    (female)

Platinum33 HB User
    Question One year old Teeth Problems

My daughter is 13 months old and has six teeth (four at the top, two at the bottom) with two more growing in at the bottom. After I she started getting more teeth, eating more solid foods, and losing her baby breath, I got her that orajel toothpaste with the little finger brush. I'd brush her teeth every morning, but the little finger brush wasn't helping enough to remove the plaque from her teeth, so I bought her a child's toothbrush, and since those bristles were too hard, I bought a different one which is softer. She doesn't like having her teeth brushed at all, so I normally have to hold her down while I do it. I brush gently but her gums still bleed at the top. Are babies' and children's teeth like adult teeth in that if you dont brush them enough, or the right way, their gums will bleed a little???
    I just feel bad doing it because she cries each time. I'm not sure, but something might be wrong with her gums at the top. At her inner lip, where that little ligament in the middle connects to the gum wall, there isn't as much space there as I'm used to seeing, and she knocked herself in the same area by breaking open a drawer last week, and it started bleeding and got swollen....so it doesnt look any better. Is this just because she's a baby and her mouth hasn't grown yet??? or should I have her checked out by a dentist???

If any of you have any advise or previous experience with this, I'd be glad to hear from you.
    Baby Girl born June 4th @ 9:41pm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User
    Re: One year old Teeth Problems

That little ligament thing should more than likely be healed by now. Take a good look at where the blood is coming from.

If it is reddened and inflamed at the tooth/gumline, then she may have gingivitis or some other problem. You'd have to take her to the dentist.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
    Platinum33
    Veteran
    (female)

Platinum33 HB User

The ligament wasnt swollen, but the inner lip, just where that ligament is, was swollen, and the bleeding was coming from her gums, but it stopped a few minutes after she hit it...but the bleeding when brushing her teeth has been going on before the accident.
    Baby Girl born June 4th @ 9:41pm

Old 07-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User

Then I would definately take her to the dentist.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
    fouradss
    (female)

fouradss HB User

I have heard such conflicting opinions when it comes to brushing a little ones teeth. I also bought the orajel finger brush and paste, but find it easier to use warm water on a soft bristled brush. (the warm water makes it even softer) I have heard use the childrens toothpaste, I have also heard don't use any because they all have sugar in them. I tend to rotate between paste and just water. If you are concerned ask your daughter's dr, he/she should be able to help you also.

I would try many methods to get her involved so she doesn't completely hate brushing. My DH's mom used to hold him down and brush his teeth when he was little, and he still hates doing it. Even if he hears somebody else brushing he gets goosebumbs (kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard) LOL

I know how hard it is my daughter is 14 months, but keep up the good work.

Sorry it's so long

Alicia

Closed Thread