It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• So what are kids suppose to drink?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
    tabmac2002
    (female)

tabmac2002 HB User
    So what are kids suppose to drink?

THis is a peer board so we can be realistic. Of course docs say give them water to drink and I am not disagreeing, but all of my kids at about 1 yr decide they dont like water anymore and wont drink it. So according to docs they should have like 2 glasses of milk, 1 juice per day. So my question is to other real parents then what? I know soda is bad of course, but in my house there is nothing left but tea and kool aid. I limit my older kids to tea for supper, and soda only when we go out or special occasions ( like when i have a caffeine fit and break down and buy one) lol, so what do yall give your kids to drink. My 15 month old refuses water and throws her cup down when i try that. Too much juice gives her diarrhea, and I know kool aid is to much sugar so what else is there? By the way we are southerners so we drink sweet... tea! THis may not be a big deal, but Im tired of asking the docs and dentist and hearing water when most of us know that is not possible these days. My 4 yr old is already having cavities so I really need to find solution for this. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
    kerree
    (female)

kerree HB User
    Re: So what are kids suppose to drink?

I give my 18 month old water, milk, soymilk, VERY occasionally 100% fruit juice (like once a week), and yogurt smoothies. If you keep offering the water they'll eventually take it. Mine didn't like it for a couple months but now he's always got a sippy of water in his hand sucking it down. It really is best for them.

Old 10-15-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
    jeffreys mom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jeffreys mom HB User

I buy store brand flavored sparkling water and mix it with regular water. It's really quite good. They get the flavor of juice with 0 calories and 0 sugar.

My kids like the white grape flavor. I don't know what supermarkets you have in your area, but I have found it in all of my local stores. I have also found it at walmart. Good Luck

Old 10-15-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
    rouge
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rouge HB User

I mix juice 1/2 way with water, give milk and also water. He will drink the water better if I put ice cubes in it.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

I give my 19 month old juice, water, milk, and decaf soda rarely. he loves soda so I give him a few sips of mine when we go out to eat. But I wouldn't give them iced tea I don't think little kids are supposed to drink that.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
    caliente
    Veteran
    (female)

caliente HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreys mom
    I buy store brand flavored sparkling water and mix it with regular water. It's really quite good. They get the flavor of juice with 0 calories and 0 sugar.

My kids like the white grape flavor. I don't know what supermarkets you have in your area, but I have found it in all of my local stores. I have also found it at walmart. Good Luck
    i also give this to my child. she loves the kiwi lime flavor. she calls it "water pop" since its water but fizzy like pop.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
    off kilter
    Inactive

off kilter HB User

I'm a real Mom 3 boys 28,26,and 7. Since i'm the Mom I tell my kids what they can have and what they can't. If there was kool ade in the house my son would ask for it so I just don't buy . He has to brush his teeth 2x's a day and like his brothers he saw his first dentist for his first birthday and goes every 6 to 12 months. I'm the boss! My son is almost 8 and no cavities. My older boys both have had great teeth. one has had 2 cavities the other at age 26 none.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:19 PM   #8
    brwneyez9
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brwneyez9 HB User

My DD drinks milk she loves it. She is only 13 months though. See i really haven't given her much of anythings else. So she can't really like or want anything else. Sometimes she get juice, water, or kool aid. I water the juice down. Kool aid make a sugar free, caffenie free kool aid. That is what i give her when she gets kool aid. I try not to offer her to much sweet tasting stuff, so that she doesn't want it all the time or won't drink anything else. I can't remember the name of it, but there is also a juice that is made with splenda instead of sugar. Sorry i can't remember the name.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
    shelliam
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

shelliam HB User

I give DS milk first then water, decaf tea and kool aid made with splenda. I give him carbonated flavor waters too the totally unsweetend kind on special occasions. DS can't drink juice it gives him diarreah too.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:02 AM   #10
    worried_mommy
    Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

My lil one drinks mostly water. I agree that if you keep offering it they will eventually drink it. She also drinks milk and 100% real fruit juice mixed 1/2 with water. she is 20 months.

Just something you might not know (I know I didn't!), tea with a meal will actually inhibit you body from absorbing iron. You should only drink tea between meals, not with them. My Dr just told me this recently because I've been having low iron issues.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #11
    nicky2005
    (female)

nicky2005 HB User

How much fluid is required for a 12 month old? My DS drinks milk and water. I have tried giving him juice mixed with water but he doesnt like it.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
    healthy2b
    (female)

healthy2b HB User

I agree with the one poster that said "I am the mother and my kids drink what I give them"...LOL...but it's true. It's about setting boundaries and allowing special treats once in a while.....all with a balance...

I give my kids:

no more than 16oz. of LF milk a day. They get calcium from other sources, veggies, cheese etc.

Tons of water which was not easy at first. If they are thirsty enough they will drink it.

Green tea sweetend with natural honey and lemon which they love.
    Green tea is loaded with healthy anti oxidants...

No more than 8 oz. tops of fruit juice and only 100% all natural juice, not the all sugar types etc.

Plain seltzer flavored with white grape juice, or fresh squeezed oranges/lemons/limes etc....they love it and feel like they are making their own flavored soda.

When we go out, they are allowed sprite. On occasion, like a family trip, Coca-Cola if it's not at night...

Again, finding that balance...kids should be kids, but it's up to us to offer the proper choices...

Also, fluids can be obtained from other ways such as homemade ice pops etc.

Healthy low sugar yogurt drinks with live, healthy stuff in it is great for them.

I do not believe in aspartame, splenda, sweet n low etc....if you do some research, it's very unhealthy. I'd prefer them have regular limited amounts of sugar than fake stuff...also I am careful with the million products that have high fructose corn syrup and all the other zillion names for sugar (anything ending in lose"...

But again, all balance..
    Kids need to be kids...
    And...these are just my opinions!! LOL...

Old 10-17-2005, 07:03 PM   #13
    chickboo
    (female)

chickboo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tabmac2002
    Im tired of asking the docs and dentist and hearing water when most of us know that is not possible these days.
    Not possible these days? Why ever not? Give her water. If she throws it down, oh well. Give it to her again next time. Throw it down again? Bet you next time she'll take it! Once she figures out that you mean business and that you won't let her manipulate you (give in to her demands), she'll drink it because she's thirsty. Sounds like she's the boss!

Our kids get water, which is about the only thing that TRULY quenches thirst. Sugary drinks only make you more thirsty, compounding the problem. Ever try drinking water after you have a soda or juice? Yuck! Milk isn't a DRINK - it's a FOOD. Our kids know that if they want milk it has to be drank with a meal. It doesn't go thru the body like water - it has to be digested. Our kids view sweet tea & sodas as 'treats' - which they get at the MOST once a week, sometimes only once a month.

The only other drink our kids are allowed to have any time they want are herbal teas (unsweetened). Everyone's favorite is peppermint - we drink it hot in the winter and it warms you up, while in the summer we drink it iced and it really cools you down! AND it's super easy to make. Put a tablespoon or two in the top of a 12 cup coffee machine, fill with water and flick the switch. Lately I've mixed equal parts peppermint & spearmint herb and I tell you what . . . when cool/cold the tea tastes just like DoubleMint gum!

Old 10-26-2005, 01:04 PM   #14
    Teresa882003
    Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User

I have a 16 months old and he drinks...Milk, Water, 100% Juice, and sweet Iced tea every now and again, probably not even once a week. We also just discovered he loves the Yogart smoothies, I will add a little to some milk, and he can't seem to get enough! Good luck, I agree just keep offering her the water, she is testing your limits to see what you will do. My son has never had a soft drink/soda, I have tried to avoid that and Koolaid due to all the sugar, and I don't want to start him on them when he is still taking such healthier liquids.
    Its a Girl 1/12/06

Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #15
    rids

rids HB User

My 4 are all dairy-free. Water, Propel, Clear gatorade, unsweet tea w/ lemon every once in awhile. Milk is a food, as another poster stated- and not a good one at that. It also fills them up-thereby limiting their hunger for good foods such as whole fruit, vegetables, and antibiotic free meats.

Closed Thread