It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 5 yr old bed wetting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2005, 06:20 AM   #1
    sickofit778
    Veteran

sickofit778 HB User
    5 yr old bed wetting

My five year old son has been wetting the bed consistently every night. He potty trained kind of late - about three and a half - and did great for a while. He has no accidents during the day and hasn't since the very beginning of training. He was doing really well with nighttime as well. Then he started waking up wet a few nights a week. I asked the doctor who suggested waking him up before we go to bed to use the bathroom. The worked for awhile, but is a huge pain in the butt. So we decided, along with the suggestion from my mom and daycare provider, to try pullups for awhile. Well I discovered the other night after he was just kind of playing around in his room and not sleeping that he went pee in his pullup!! He was awake when he went!!! He obviously was just being lazy. So I decided to forget pullups and for the past 5 nights he has woken up wet. The first few nights I even woke him up before I went to bed. So this morning I asked him what we were going to do. Basically running through the options - trying to figure out why he's not waking up - and he tells me that he went last night in his bed, in his underwear while he was awake!!! I don't know what to do. He would rather fall asleep wet rather than get up and go? Anyone have ANY suggestions or gone through something similar? I feel like we've tried everything! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
    MandyAnne26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
    Re: 5 yr old bed wetting

As he gets older make him help you change his sheets, change his clothes, don't simply do it for him and tuck him into bed. While getting him up to use the washroom is a pain you have to do it. Right now his brain isn't making the connection between needing to use the washroom and waking up. We have had this problem with my son.
    There are a few things you can try. Wake him up, the last parent awake had to go into his room to wake him up to go to the washroom. Limit fluids after supper (if you eat late than nothing to drink after supper), if he is drinking a ton than you are setting him up for failure. Set up a reward system....make a chart, for nights he stays dry he gets a sticker or stamp, for nights he wets he gets none (also none if he wets himself while awake). Agree on a reward when he gets so many stickers (you can get some inexpensive toys at the dollar store and let him pick a toy out, buy him at treat at the store ect, you decide). The only warning i give with this is that if he's not into it right away than it's best to give it up, if this is something that he truly cannot control all a chart will do is remind him of his failure and won't help.
    You also need to look at what is going on in his life, is he geting enough good attention? has there been any major changes that occured around the time that the bed wetting started?
    It is common for kids his age to wet the bed, it can be due to emotional or physical problems, so you need to try and pinpoint which it is.
    As a final option there is a bedwetting alarm you can get, it's pricy (the one the doctors recomend is around 100 canadian, not sure how much it would be american). It's got a sensor that attaches to his underwear and wakes him up and soon as it gets wet. This helps kids to learn to make the connection between needing the bathroom and waking up.
    Generaly punishing doesn't work because the way i look at it is that the child wouldn't do it if they could help it. Although i think he needs to know that wetting himself while awake is not acceptable...i'm going to assume that he's not wetting himself all day long and it's just a nighttime problem.
    most kids outgrow this, bring it up to his doctor at his next checkup to see what his doctor thinks. I know bedwetting at 5 generaly isn't considered a problem, especially if they are not having any problems durring the day.
    It's something that does take effort to stop, so maybe just take turns waking him up. Make sure he's getting lots of attention durring the day to ensure its not an attention getting issue (wetting while awake suggests it may be) and see what happens. Sometimes it's just something you need to deal with untill he gets older and starts to grow out of it.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
    sickofit778
    Veteran

sickofit778 HB User

We have tried waking him up, limiting what he drinks after dinner, and I do make him help me change the sheets and undress/redress himself. I don't berate him or get mad at him, but I do tell him and remind him that it's something that we need to work on and that's he's a big boy now. I think I will give the rewards chart a try. We used that with potty training in general when he was three and that seemed to work great. Also I don't think it's an attention getting thing. He currently is an only child (we are expecting our second child) so he gets PLENTY of good, positive attention. Although it has occured to me that maybe he's a little jealous of the fact that soon he will have a sibling. Also we bought a new house this year and he also started kindergarten this year. So I know those changes could all be contributing. I am just so frustrated!

Old 11-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
    MandyAnne26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I've got 3 kids, 11, 7 and 3, the two oldest still occasionaly wet the bed and up untill recently the 11 year old would wet every night. it's extremly fustrating, and irritating to wake up to the smell of stale pee (he wouldn't wake up at all to get changed or change his sheets), the 7 year old has pretty much grown out of it, but if she falls asleep without going she tends to wet the bed. The 3 year old has never wet the bed. I understand about fustration, i have been dealing with it since my 11 was 3-4, it's gotten worse, better ect but it's never completly gone. So i understand completly what you are going through. It sounds like it could just be all the change in his life right now causing a bit of stress on him, hopefully that is all it is and soon he will settle down and the problem will go away. But just keep in mind that it is a very common problem in kids his age, so as hard as it is (and it is hard) be patient with him.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
    stcmom2
    (female)

stcmom2 HB User

Let's see, you've just gotten a new house and you're expecting a new baby... Major events in his little life, doncha think? His urine is just one area where he has a little control and can exercise it, consciously or not. Have patience, mom. He's just testing you to see if you still love him and will still love him even if he gives you grief. He's feeling a little insecure, perhaps, and unhappy. Reassure him and positive rewards are the key here.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
    TerryB
    Veteran
    (female)

TerryB HB User

Try an underwear alarm. It worked great for us and have him help change the bedding when it is wet not as a punishment just as a responsibility for him. You'll earn back the cost of the alarm in pullup-savings.

Closed Thread