It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 15 month old having difficult bowel movements

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
    jasonjoshua
    (female)

jasonjoshua HB User
    15 month old having difficult bowel movements

My 15 month old son is having trouble with his bm. He has been to two doctors that both put him on several laxatives. However, they did not work. He actually goes everyday regularly. His problem is when he is actually going. He screams and cries because it hurts so much. I think he needs a stool softener but everyone tells me that infants are not supposed to take them. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
    nicky2005
    (female)

nicky2005 HB User
    Re: 15 month old having difficult bowel movements

Does he eat oatmeal?

Old 12-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Is he a poop holder? DS knows not to poop in the tub, so if he has the urge to go, he holds it in, and weights until I get a diaper on him -- then a couple hours later he usually has a HUGE poo! He used to do this about the same age -- didn't like messy diapers, so he'd hold it until he couldn't do so anymore and he'd have huge horrible poo. Once I swear it was stuck. I was crying, he was crying. We use milk of mag to keep things going when he hasn't gone for awhile, as per doctor instructions.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
    Miranda's Mom

Miranda's Mom HB User

What kind of laxatives have the drs tried? Has he been to a GI yet? My daughter was the same way with the screaming and crying with the bms. Granted, she has other issues as well. She is now on Miralax and it has made our lives so much easier. The Miralax pulls the fluids back into the bowels allowing them to pass easier. Have you tried any of the over the counter stool softners? My daughter takes the Miralax daily (3 tbs) and it works wonders. I hope that something works soon.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:44 AM   #5
    candycandy
    (female)

candycandy HB User

Since you've seen 2 doctors, I assume they suggested prune juice. But I'm gonna suggest it anyway, because it really really helped my daughter!!! It tastes horrid, so mix about one ounce of it with maybe 3 ounces of apple juice. A little goes a long way here... One ounce 1 or 2 times a day should help. And try feeding peaches, even raisins.

AVOID BANANAs!!! Banana turns poo into rocks!

Old 12-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We tried prunes, prune juice, oatmeal, fruit... Nothing worked. THank goodness the doctor suggested milk of mag

Closed Thread