It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Child has chronic bad breath and cloudy urine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
    imaworrier
    (female)

imaworrier HB User
    Child has chronic bad breath and cloudy urine

My daughter, age 5, has had bad breath for about 6 weeks. Brushing really good doesn't help, neither does gum or mints. We took her to the dentist about 4 weeks ago, and he said it's not anything dental, and to wait 4 weeks and if it was still bad, take her to the doctor.

Yesterday we took her to the doctor. She did a urine test to check and make sure she didn't have ketones or sugar in it. It was all fine, except it was cloudy and had a few crystals floating in it. It was nine in the morning, and her second time going in the day. She had cereal and a little water before that. The doctor ruled out anything sinus or in her nose for the smell, but ordered a liver and kidney blood test, CBC, and amino acid problem check of her urine. This is the thing that is worrying me. Chronic bad breath and cloudy urine can be the symptoms of serious problems.

Other than these things my daughter acts and looks totally fine. She doesn't feel bad at all. I'm really worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Child has chronic bad breath and cloudy urine

sounds to me that you are at least in good hands as far as the doc ordering the appropriate tests to check for the possible causes.given the bad breath symptom that is not a dental issue,going to the liver is a good thing.sometimes in certain liver diseases/conditions,bad breath is a very big symptom but there are also other causes of that too,but at least he is trying to rule out the big things and thats what you want done first.also checking out the kidneys as well since some liver and kidney conditions/diseases kind of go hand in hand.

did they culture the urine to see if there was any bacteria present? the cloudy urine could indicate a possible kidney or other UTI infection.not too sure about the crystals tho,i do remeber hearing just what causes that before but for the life of me cannot remeber what that is,sorry.

hopefully these tests will at elast rule in or out whatever her issues are and then possibly getting her treatment and back on track.when are you supposed to find out the results of the bloodwork?if the bloodwork shows nothing amiss then you may want to try an ultrasound of the abdominal area.this would pick up on possible issues within the kidneys liver and other organs.you don't want to have her to undergo a CT if she really doesn't have to at this point since new info is coming out about the affects of radiation caused by CT on younger children.there just not quite as innocuous as once thought.if any further in depth rad testing is needed,ask for and push for an MRI instead.you just really want to limit the rad exposure at her age.since an MRI uses only magnetism it is much safer than CT.the US is also safer than CT.better safe than sorry you know?espescially since you don't know at this point just whats up and trying to limit the non emergent radiation now will be much safer in the long run if at some point in time(not saying there IS going to be another time,but just incase)there may be a much more urgent need for a CT to have to be done for some specific reason.

hopefully this is just some sort of a viral or bacterial infection that can easily be cleared.please keep us posted.good luck,Marcia

Old 08-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
    imaworrier
    (female)

imaworrier HB User

This is going to sound weird, but I bought my daughter a new pair of jeans, and they smell like her breath. I looked online to find out what could be on the jeans, and they apparently use formaldehyde on some clothes to keep them from getting mold or mildew on them. So I guess her breath smells like formaldehyde.

Old 08-19-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

did you wash the jeans before she actually wore them for the very first time??tho the possiblitity is rather remote that she did somehow actually 'take in' some sort of a chemical thru her skin,she should probably have some sort of a tox screen done just to tule out any possibility .you may want to discuss this with her doc.you never know these days,ya know?I would also bring those jeans into the next appt with her doc too.

i forgot to actually ask this before but with regard to the bad bresth? what exactly does it smell like?is it a sweeter type smell,chemical in nature or like sulpherous or like something died in there?is there anything that you can compare it to?anything at all?marcia

Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
    imaworrier
    (female)

imaworrier HB User

I just bought her the jeans last week, and her breath has smelt like this for 7 weeks. I always wash my kids clothes before they wear them. It's a chemical smell, and like I said, smells like the jeans which may have been treated with formaldehyde. So I guess her breath smells like formaldehyde.

The things I've found on line about breath smells are things like rancid butter, bitter almonds and old blood. I don't know what those things smell like! It doesn't smell like fish, nail polish of smelly feet, which are other things I've seen online for breath smells. But it's definately a chemical smell. And brushing her teeth, chewing gum, none of that works.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
    claflamme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

claflamme HB User

Has the dr checked for strep throat? That will make their breath bad. My daughter will spike a fever once then complain of a tummy ache for a short time. One time we didn't know she had it and she got scarlet fever from it. That wasn't fun ,but she didn't get a sore throat or anything.
    I hope you figure it out.

Closed Thread