It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Stomach/abdominal migraines

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
    sarahponari
    (female)

sarahponari HB User
    Stomach/abdominal migraines

hi i took my daughter, who is almost 5, to the doctors today as she has been getting stomach ache for the past year and a half for no apparent reason, i tried taking dairy out of her diet which didnt help, so decided to take her to doctors as i couldnt find a reason for the stomach aches. I suffer from migraines myself, and after finding out all the symptoms etc of my daughters stomach ache she said it looks like it could be stomach migraines(i had never heard of this before today) but i looked on the internet and found there is such thing as it. she never actually diagnosed her but said its very likely and she told me to make a food diary of everythig she eats and write down when she complains of stomach ache to see if any foods are causing it then go back in a couple of months, other than that she did nothing, so i just wondered is there anything she should be taking for this or if it is best to just do this diary for a couple of months. i read somewhere on the internet they should take the same medication as those with normal migraines, does anyone know if thats true? would just like to know more about it all and i would be interested to hear what other people have to say, especially if you have a child with stomach migraines, just for some support, and to answer my questions
    thanks
    sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Stomach/abdominal migraines

i think i would take a good look at the basics here before really thinking about stomach migranes as the cause,tho possible,generally most migranes,when they are inherited,tend to form in females when they hit around puberty,tho it is possible to get them before then,this just could be sooo many other possible things that i would probably list that migrane thing a but lower on the list of possibilitys for now anyway.has she ever had a basic metabolic workup?(labs)or any other sort of actual testing done to try and come up with a possible cause?i have heard of stomach migranes but not really familiar with the overall symptoms with these,could you enlighten me there please?i think the migrane thing tho has vomiting as a symptom,am i wrong there?

what exactly does she present with when she has these stomach aches?any other symptoms present besides just the stomach ache itself?my son used to get alot of stomach aches but we found out it was from a whole other story that i wont even tell you about because this is most likely not the cause.don;t want to scare you with something that is probably a very long shot at best.but we used you use a cold pack on his tummy and he said it did help.just a suggestion for you.as far as actual medication,i dont know if i would go that route just yet,at least not til you have much more proof that this may be it.giving any medication,espescially to a child can have some adverse events that you would not normally see in an adult so you do want to hold off on any actul Rxes til you have no real choice there.any actual Rxes could actually create their own set of problems to deal with.trust me on that one.

i think just getting that full physical with a total metabolic workup including the hepatic and kidney labs really would be the best way to dive into finding a real Dx in her.see what may or may not pop up and go from there.if nothing else,sending her to an actual ped GI doc would also be a great idea,depending on her current peds actual knowledge and experience with this type of problem.going to a ped GI,well,they just know sooo much more about the entire GI tract that most peds or primary docs just do not have that much experience with.they are much more in depth in finding the causes of ped GI problems that this would just be an ideal type of person to see.they know alot,trust me.but you DO really need an actual Dx for your daughter in order to get her the best possible treatments.but start with the basics and go from there.i wish you luck with this and hopefully they can find the cause of the stomach aches soon.please keep me posted on just what you find out,K? marcia

Old 03-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
    luvmy2kids
    (female)

luvmy2kids HB User

My six year old is getting chronic stomach aches and I read your post and thought "what a great idea" about journaling his pain and foods. He has an appointment next week and I'm hoping to get some insight on this. He said it hurts every day - sometimes a lot, sometimes a little bit. I imagine they'll have us eliminate certain foods to try to rule out allergy. I too get migraines though I've never heard of stomach migraines. I agree with feelbad that you should be absolutely CERTAIN that that's what is causing her pain before you put her on medication. Poor baby, I hope she's feeling better!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
    soccermom128
    (female)

soccermom128 HB User

Hi, I'm new here. I have 2 healthy, very active boys ages 8 & 9. My 9 year old was "unofficially" diagonsed with abdominal migraines in February. He has had four episodes in six months that have all been exactly the same...He wakes up between 5 & 6 am complaining of stomach pain & nausea. Within 30 minutes, he startes throwing up. It lasts about an hour and then he gradually starts to feel better. By evening he is perfectly fine, eats dinner and goes to bed.

I took him to the pediatrician after the 3rd episode. The first question his Dr. asked me was if there was a history of migraine in our family. There is a strong maternal history. I have been taking a daily preventative for 4 years and my mom, sister & grandmother have all suffered from them. The Dr. did a blood workup which came back normal. He received a prescription for Imitrex to take when the symptoms present. He woke yesterday with stomach pain and I gave it to him immediately. It didn't make a difference, 30minutes later he started throwing up. He is perfectly healthy in every other respect.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
    KristiePittendr
    (female)

KristiePittendr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarahponari View Post
    hi i took my daughter, who is almost 5, to the doctors today as she has been getting stomach ache for the past year and a half for no apparent reason, i tried taking dairy out of her diet which didnt help, so decided to take her to doctors as i couldnt find a reason for the stomach aches. I suffer from migraines myself, and after finding out all the symptoms etc of my daughters stomach ache she said it looks like it could be stomach migraines(i had never heard of this before today) but i looked on the internet and found there is such thing as it. she never actually diagnosed her but said its very likely and she told me to make a food diary of everythig she eats and write down when she complains of stomach ache to see if any foods are causing it then go back in a couple of months, other than that she did nothing, so i just wondered is there anything she should be taking for this or if it is best to just do this diary for a couple of months. i read somewhere on the internet they should take the same medication as those with normal migraines, does anyone know if thats true? would just like to know more about it all and i would be interested to hear what other people have to say, especially if you have a child with stomach migraines, just for some support, and to answer my questions
    thanks
    sarah
    Hi, my son has been getting bellyaches off & on for the past couple of yrs, they are gradually getting more frequent & lasting longer. Did you ever come up with something that helped?

Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
    KristiePittendr
    (female)

KristiePittendr HB User

Hi, my son is having stomach migraines - did you find anything that helps them?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
    KillerCraz23
    (female)

KillerCraz23 HB User

Hey, I suffer from Stomach migraines. There were so bad that i was rushed to the emergancy room a couple times a month. From experiace i can tell you they are worse then child birth. There said to be usually in small children but ive always had them. There were always really early in the morning and would stop after a couple hours of lying on my bathroom floor sreaming. Or sitting in the emergancy room screaming to where people were constantly rushing into my room. After about the 30th time of being rushed to the ER only to be told i had nothing wrong with me, i had a doctor tell me what they are. Apparantly there are two receptors for migraines, one in your head and one in your stomach. For some reason when i would get a migraine it would trigger my stomach. A doctor presribed me a nasal spray that actually stopped them for a while. While pregnant with my son they stopped completly only to start again the day after i gave birth, while i was still in the hospital. Im started the nasal spray a month ago and they have stopped completly. Im not sure what the nasal spray was called. Ask someone about a nasal spray that helps with the stomah migraines. Hopefully a doctor will know what your talking about. Good luck <3

Closed Thread