It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Allergies and fluid behind eardrums

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User
    Allergies and fluid behind eardrums

Last week I posted about being worried about my 5 year olds morning behavior. Well, I think I know the answer now. She has really bad allergies and is on Singulair and Zyrtec all the time. For several weeks, we have noticed that she was not hearing as well as she used to. We scheduled a hearing test. She has some hearing loss (temporary) because the allergies have caused fluid to collect behind her eardrums. The doctor gave us samples of Nasonex to try for 3 weeks. He is hoping this will dry up the fluid. If it works, I guess we have another med to do every night. If it does not work, he is suggesting tubes to drain the fluid and restore hearing. He is also going to draw blood for allergy testing.

I do not really have a questions. I was just wondering if anyone else had expereinced this before. I had heard that sometimes tubes could cause fluid to back up. I don't want to do something that will cause further problems down the road. She has never had tubes before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User
    Re: Allergies and fluid behind eardrums

The Nasonex seems to be drying up the fluid behind my daughters ears. Her hearing has improved and she has not been suffering all the allergy symptoms as before. She is still taking the Zyrtec and Singulair everynight. I do not know what is the best route to take. Should we continue with Nasonex every night for who knows how long or opt for the tubes? We don't want our daughter to have an unnecessary procedure, but we also do not want her to takes meds all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
    KissAmeGal
    (female)

KissAmeGal HB User

my daughter is now 4. when she was younger she kept getting ear infections, and the fluid build up. We tried ear drops and she is also on Singular, which helps drastically. i couldn't believe the improvement after she started that. She did end up having tubes in her ears about 2 1/2 years ago, and she has NOT had any problems since!!

Good Luck!

she started the Singular after she had the tubes put in, at about the age of 2 1/2

Last edited by KissAmeGal; 03-30-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
    Skinamarinka
    (female)

Skinamarinka HB User

Hi,
    I too have a 5 year old with allergies. We have not wanted to put her on medication so instead have used homeopathics with pretty good success. Boiron and Hylands have allergy tablets that work well. Also, I've been trying to work on the underlying cause for the allergies. I've used probiotics and enzymes with good results. The enzymes I have been using for 1 week and today while at a friend's house with three cats, she was fine. My child has always had allergy shiners, constant itchy runny nose etc. The enzyme product is called Kids Digest by Enzymedica. I give it to her in the morning with 1/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and juice.
    Best wishes.

Closed Thread