It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• cough & chest congestion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
    anchepettige
    (female)

anchepettige HB User
    cough & chest congestion

Hi moms,

My DS is 3yrs and 3 months old. 2-3 weeks back he had an ear infection in one of his ears and so the doctor gave him a mild antibiotics.
    Now the ears are clear but he has got this cough from 3-4 days.
    Especially when he is sleeping during afternoon and night he coughs so much that he cannot sleep at all.during other times he is not much coughing.
    should I be concerned?

Also he has a lots of chest congestion (phlegm).we tell him to spit but he doesn't do it. is there any other remedy which helps to clear the phlegm?

I want to try everything possible at home before I run to doctor. I don't want to give the antibioitics again .

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
    meechieny
    Veteran
    (female)

meechieny HB User
    Re: cough & chest congestion

We went through this in our house. I was giving the kids a decongestant and a cough suppressent to dry them up and it was actually making them worse at night. It was drying them up too much which was increasing their coughs. I quit that and put a vaporizer/humidifier in their rooms and it worked wonders! Hope this helps you.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
    Re: cough & chest congestion

If he coughs mostly at night maybe his sinuses are filled up. Sinuses drain when you lay down. This happens with my daughter and we just let her sleep on a few pillows and this puts her in a position where her sinuses won't drain at night. Maybe you think he is coughing all of this gunk up from his chest but what it really is is that his sinuses are draining into his throat and he coughs on it. My daughters are allergy queens and this is what the allergist finally convinced me what was going on with their night coughs (my one daughter has sinus problems and my other daughter just coughs when the post nasal drip hits her throat). If he wakes up with a sore throat after a night of coughing like this it is more indicative of sinuses because sinus drainage causes a really sore throat from the drip.

Closed Thread