It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Tubes in the ears for a 5 year old

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User
    Tubes in the ears for a 5 year old

Hey everyone. This is a followup from a previous post.

We took our daughter in for the followup hearing test. Her hearing is somewhat worse than 1 month ago. The ENT said the fluid is still building up behind her eardurms and that the Nasonex is not drying it up like he'd hoped. He recommends physically going in and draining the fluid and putting tubes in her ears. He said that this would improve her hearing and keep the fluid from building up again.

I am nervous and thinking about a year from now. Will the fluid build back up as her allergies are what is causing this and I guess she will always be bothered with them?

He will also be blood testing her while she is asleep and we may be talking about allergy treatments. They now do drops under the tongue for small children. This may be what will help the fluid.

Sorry if I am rambling, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing. Everyone I talk to thinks 5 years old is too old for tubes. The ENT said that no matter the age, if hearing loss is the issue, he will always recommend tubes.

Looking forward to hearing any advice or input.

Thank you very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: Tubes in the ears for a 5 year old

Nonsense, I have 2 adult friends who have had grommets, which have worked and relieved a lot of their ENT symptoms. My son was 4 and a half, no question about any cut-off age for this procedure.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
    JenW67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JenW67 HB User

I reacommend tubes. My son had them put in when he was 8 months old. It was a hard decision to make but it stopped the ear infections and made my son much more comfrotable.

He has only had one minor infection since he had them put in and that was mild.

-Jen

Old 04-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
    jillr
    (female)

jillr HB User

My son had 4 sets of tubes put in. He had ear problems from 6 weeks old to 7 yrs old when he finally outgrew the problem. Most children than need tubes have a very short eustatian tube that doesn't allow for proper drainage of ear fluid. The tubes that are inserted by the surgeon allow the proper drainage to take place. I would highly reccomend getting the tubes put in her ears. The surgery is very quick, my son was done within 15 mins each time. The tubes usually stay in for about a year and there are usually no ear infections while they are in. And it's great that they'll do the bloodwork for allergies while your child is asleep. That's less stress for her. My son is 10 now and has no hearing loss. When he was a baby before he got the tubes in he didn't do well on the hearing test that they gave him.
    good luck!!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User

Thank you all for you respones. I feel better now after hearing such good experiences.

We are scheduled for the tubes to be put in May 8. Right now, the most important thing is getting her hearing restored.

Thank you very much!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
    JDgirl
    (female)

JDgirl HB User

My son is 6 and is getting tubes for the 2nd time. He was good for about a year and now the dreaded infections are back every other month. He just has poor drainage, the tubes are a God send. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
    kimberly41
    (female)

kimberly41 HB User

I had to have a tube put in my ear just a month ago (41 yrs.old). It does drain fluid out of the ear. I hope everything goes good for your daughter.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

Five is not too old and ear tubes are great for relieving retained fluid pressure and ear tension. My son is four and a half now he has had ear tubes, an adnoidectomy, and tonsillectomy.

At 2 he had an adniodectomy and tubes inserted to treat chronic ear and sinus infections. The tubes stayed in a year.. they worked well.. no more ear infections until they came out.. they month they came out the hearing loss, ear infections, and fluid retention all came back.

We had a tonsillectomy at 3.5 this helped completely eliminate the ear infections.. however my son has my sinus structure and allergic responses and poor sinus structure do not allow for adequate drainage and result in.. more sinus infections.

Unfortunately other than ear tubes there is no other viable surgical option right now, becuase the sinus cavities are still developing. We are seeing our ENT again to try and get a lingering sinus infection out of my sons head and alleviate the ear retention that is causing a 30% hearing loss at the moment. It is looking like my son may need to go in for a second set of ear tubes if the anti-biotics don;t do there job soon. He has been on antibiotics for almost 2 months now and still no true relief.

I know when he is 16 he is going to get the same surgery as I have had on my sinuses.. I just hope we can handle the remain twelve years until he is old enough.

Sincerely,
    MG

Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User

My daughter had the tubes put in yesterday and all went well. We can already tell improvement in her hearing. The ENT said there was so much fluid.

I just want to thank all of you for responding. You have helped me to feel good about the decision we made to do this precedure.

Now, we pray that all continues to go well. We should get allergy test results within a few days. We will then start allergy treatment and hopeful keep fluid buildup to a minimum.

Thank you all!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #10
    KissAmeGal
    (female)

KissAmeGal HB User

my daughter is now 4. she had tubes put in her ears when she was about a year and 1/2. she had constant ear infections. the procedure didn't take long at all and it's not a traumatic procedureThe tubes fall out and you don't even know it, they are too small to see. She has not had any problems since.

my son, who is now 13, didn't have tubes put in, but at the age of 8 he had his tonsils and adenoids removed.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #11
    lawdhamurcy1
    Inactive
    (female)

lawdhamurcy1 HB User

My daughter had tubes in her ears, first time she was less than a year old. Second time she was a couple years old. She's been doing fine ever since. The second time she also had her adnoids (spelling I have no idea) taken out of her nose.

Now, my son same thing. He was about a year old the first time he had them, they fell out (you dont even notice them) so he had them again, and he's been fine ever since. I totally believe in the tubes as they really help.

Good luck

Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User

Hello everyone. I have an update that will most likely close out this thread.

We went for the followup yesterday. My daughter now has 100% hearing restored and is doing great. We do have to go back for a recheck in 6 months (sooner if there are any problems)

The allergy results indicate that she is allergic to common ragweed. We will contineu with the zytec and singular as needed.

Thank you all for responding and giving me encouragement.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
    pgrant11
    (female)

pgrant11 HB User

Both of my children had cronic ear infections. The youngest received tubes in her ears at the age of 6 mths, and had to have one surgically removed @ 4yrs.

For any parent whose child is suffering ear infections, please look at their diet. I found, too late, that my children had an allergy to milk. Once I stopped providing milk to them the infections stopped. Unfortunatley, they went through years of pain before I found out what was causing it. (There were no other signs of a food allergy.)

I did not elimiate milk products, but I stopped allowing them to have it as a drink. (Thinking it was healthy for them, I encourage them to drink it with every meal...etc.)

Closed Thread