It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 22 month old doesn't want to eat!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User
    22 month old doesn't want to eat!

My DS is 22 months old, and we are having the worst time getting him to want to eat. When he first started on solids, he ate so well. And he continued to be an excellent eater till around 5 months ago. But lately, he barely eats. I'm sure it's a phase he's going through, since I can remember my DD did the same around this age, and a friend of mine has a toddler the same age as mine, and she's having the same issues. Anyway, he likes poptarts for breakfast, so I can usually get him to eat one of those in the morning, but he doesn't want his lunch half the time, and he really doesn't want dinner. We sit him down and tell him that it's time to eat dinner, and sometimes he'll eat a little because he know's that we are serious, but man, what a struggle. Anyone have any idea's on how to make sure he's eating? I don't remember what we did with my DD when she did this. I think we just waited it out, and it passed, just like all the other phases do. I worry though that he isn't getting enough to eat. He's not sick or anything either, he's perfectly fine, except when it comes to food. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
    firsttimemom
    (female)

firsttimemom HB User
    Re: 22 month old doesn't want to eat!

I wish I had an answer, I am having the exact same problem with my 20 month old DS. I get so worried that he isn't eating enough and going to bed starving everynight. Everyone keeps telling me that when he is hungry he will eat. I am sure it is just a phase but I know exactly what you are going through.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
    neshee
    Inactive
    (female)

neshee HB User

This is still going on with my 3 year old DD. As bad as it sounds you just have to ride it out. If at appointments with the doc, he is gaining and growing, that is really all you can do. Between the ages of 18 mos and 4 years (I think) children will naturally get to their "genetic" averages. For example, a child who was off the charts weight wise, may not eat as much to become where he/she should be. We want our kids to eat, it is only human and natural, but if they don't, then they are getting enough other times to sustain themselves. The only other thing I can suggest is a daily mulit-vitamin. I try to make sure my DD takes hers every night before bed, and I also make sure she gets plenty of milk (at least 16oz.) a day. I also make sure she drinks 100% juices and get ones that have extra vitamin C. That is about all we can do as moms. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User

Thank goodness I am not the only one with this problem. I figured I wasn't, but it really helps to hear from the other mom's. I too try and make sure that my DS get's plenty of milk and 100% juice during the day. Thankfully that is the one thing he does like to do, drink!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
    LisaFaith
    Veteran
    (female)

LisaFaith HB User

I am having the SAME problem with my DS! He is 27 months old, and only eats a few things. He was a preemie, so with him it started out as a sensory issue- if he didn't like the texture of something in his hand, he wouldn't get it anywhere near his mouth. Now, though, he'll pick stuff up, and look at it, maybe even lick it once, and then hand it to me and say "no mommy." It is so frustrating. I try to give him what I know he will eat (which isn't much) and sometimes he'll just take a few bites. The worst part of it, though, is that he has stopped eating some of the things that he used to love, like corn, peas, and green beans. I hope we get through this soon!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Ugh, we've battled this off and on since DS was a year old. Sometimes he'd go great guns and eat really well, and then he's refuse to eat anything at all. We had weeks of his eating mac & cheese or spagetti for every meal and then refusing to eat that.

The past few weeks have been the "dirty food" days. Claims the food at preschool is dirty, food we give him is dirty --- he doesn't like sauce or dips, etc. Sign. I'm at my wits end. Asked him why his friends eat their lunch and he said "they like eating clean and dirty food". Oh, why do I even bother trying to reason with a toddler.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

If you think about it, when was the last time you saw headlines "TODDLER STARVES TO DEATH!!"? It is amazing what these little engines can run on, I had one who ate nothing but plain toast and grapes for months. He still grew and ran about full-tilt. Meanwhile I had a nervous breakdown.

Last edited by Seraph; 04-24-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
    meechieny
    Veteran
    (female)

meechieny HB User

If he is drinking well you might want to try Pedisure or some other protein drink. Try to have him drink whole milk also. I know that they make a "Flintstone"s First" vitamin for children his age. I think we all seem to go through this with at least one child at some time or another. good luck!

Last edited by meechieny; 04-24-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

Oh, I am so glad to hear this as well. I never really read this board, I have to more often! Ds is going to be 2 soon, and we battle this almost every day. Breakfast and sometimes lunch will be good, but dinner, forget about it. One thing that I have noticed that does often help.....I try to feed him in different places. Like, if he's not eating in his highchair, I'll sit him in a booster seat. It works sometimes, I think he likes that change. I have also tried Pediasure, but it looked gross to me and he didn't like it anyway. I just try to make sure that the small amounts that he does eat,and the most nutritious as a whole, no junk. We do lots of fruit and cheese in different shapes, that way, at least I know that what does make it into him is decent.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
    claflamme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

claflamme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andilyn View Post
    My DS is 22 months old, and we are having the worst time getting him to want to eat. When he first started on solids, he ate so well. And he continued to be an excellent eater till around 5 months ago. But lately, he barely eats. I'm sure it's a phase he's going through, since I can remember my DD did the same around this age, and a friend of mine has a toddler the same age as mine, and she's having the same issues. Anyway, he likes poptarts for breakfast, so I can usually get him to eat one of those in the morning, but he doesn't want his lunch half the time, and he really doesn't want dinner. We sit him down and tell him that it's time to eat dinner, and sometimes he'll eat a little because he know's that we are serious, but man, what a struggle. Anyone have any idea's on how to make sure he's eating? I don't remember what we did with my DD when she did this. I think we just waited it out, and it passed, just like all the other phases do. I worry though that he isn't getting enough to eat. He's not sick or anything either, he's perfectly fine, except when it comes to food. Help!
    This happened with my daughter we found out she had celiac disease, It took us 1 1/2 years before we found out.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
    mkgb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User

My son hated the texture of meat. He would eat everything but meat and goos.. very texture sensitive. We used special milk to supplement his diet. Whole milk with protien shake meal replacement added. This helped us through the rough spots. Now he wants dessert.. well he knows if he does eat his supper lunch and breakfast then he obviously doesn't need dessert.. because he easily filled up on the rest of the stuff.

Toddlers won't starve. We have said eat it or go with out. Haven't had my son miss more than a meal willingingly.

MG

Old 04-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
    andilyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

andilyn HB User

Well I am happy to report that my little guy has decided to start eating more regularly again. At least for today and yesterday...let's hope he keeps it up. Either he is growing out of this phase (I hope) or he's realized that he's kind of hungry and food would be a good thing. Either way, I am glad he's eating better...makes me feel better!

Closed Thread