It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• MMR and Autism?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
    ShordyB
    (female)

ShordyB HB User
    Question MMR and Autism?

We were discussing this after Oprah today and Im kinda freaked out. My son is due for his shots on 10/1. He will be 2 in October. Todays Oprah had mothers who were talking about how their child developed Autism after having a MMR shot cause of the thimerosol in it. I havent heard of this, and Im not doubting it, but it seams sort of weird how a child can develop something like this after a shot, I thought Autism was something they were born with, not develop. My 2yr old son started preschool 3 weeks ago, and I dont think his preschool will let him stay there w/o the shot, but they did say that its not mandatory in public school. Anyone not get a shot cause of this?? Im so worried! What are your opinions? They say a child is Dx with Autism every 3min and 1 in 94 boys have Autism. I have 4 healthy boys and I know nothing is wrong with them as my sister is in her 5th year teaching Autistic kids and she or the Dr would have seen signs. Im pregnant with my 5th son and am now worried about him. They dont usualy Dx it till after the age of 1, but sometimes as late as 4 and up. So, what are your opinions?

Last edited by ShordyB; 09-18-2007 at 10:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
    Re: MMR and Autism?

Hi Shordy, the medical community has reviewed all of the evidence and they don't think that there is a connection. Almost all children get vaccinated. If vaccines caused autism I would think that many, many children would have autism then. I read that the symptoms of autism start to appear around the times of these shots and that this is why some believe that the shots cause the autism. From what I understand the symptoms of autism do not appear until later, not at birth (or at least the symptoms are not that strong). Also, from what I understand autism is an "interaction disorder" so the signs wouldn't appear until the child is old enough to be interacting with others.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
    baj406
    Veteran
    (female)

baj406 HB User

I have read that research has revealed no link between the vaccine and autism. Even if there were a link though, to me the benefit far outweighs the risk. There's no way I wouldn't vaccinate my son, but everyone is different. Whatever you choose will be right for you.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
    ShordyB
    (female)

ShordyB HB User

This is a quote from the CDC "We simply don't know what causes most cases of autism, but we're doing everything we can to find out. The vast majority of science to date does not support an association between thimerosal in vaccines and autism. But we are currently conducting additional studies to further determine what role, if any, thimerosal in vaccines may play in the development of autism." So Im not sure if they are saying they dont know if its linked or what??? Im a little confused

Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
    sem627
    Veteran
    (female)

sem627 HB User

Are you sure your son hasn't already received MMR? The first one is generally given at the 12 month visit and then a booster at 4 years old.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
    meechieny
    Veteran
    (female)

meechieny HB User

I too saw the show and I am a mother to 3 children, my oldest having autism. I can understand your concern. This is a very controversial topic and the link to immunizations is the biggest in the autism community. They have also had reports that yeast, older fathers, excessive prenatal ultrasounds, television and some other things that I am forgetting about right now are also the cause of autism. Autism is considered a social disorder and with that go along with sensory issues, language, processing problems to say a few. As you know, a child interacts with people as soon as they are born. They do it through eye contact, cooing and facial expressions.

I personally am of the genetic theory. I can see now that my father-in-law, brother-in-law and my husband have tendencies, not to say some kids don't have a enviromental factor or trigger.....I just believe in our case, our son was born with autism and we noticed little things here and there as far back as 6 months old.

My son is also considered very mild. He is seen very typical to peers and their parents. We had him in early intervention at 2 years and I have worked with him constantly.

We have a 3 1/2 year old boy who is developing typically. We also have a 20 month old girl who is showing a language delay (both verbally and non-verbally) who I have a little concern with. Her strenghts are so strong that she doesn't seem to be on the "autistic spectrum," but despite of that we also have her in early intervention.

My feelings are that my children are probably genetically predisposed. after seeing that tv show.....I am rattled. I am hearing more and more children being diagnosed after 2 years old. Could it be that there are 2 types of autism? One genetic where as kids have signs in infancy and another type where it is a later onset that reacted to a enviromental trigger- like the MMR and developed between 2 and 3 years old. Could it be that parents didn't notice the signs until they were supose to hit those big language milestones?
    When my son was finally diagnosed at 4, we read that the chances of having another child with autism was 10% (I think it was a old book) since then we know a family who has 3 out of their 4 boys on the spectrum. We actually had a sigh or relief when we found out we were having a girl because the incidence of having a girl with autism is so much lower.....since then we met a family who's both girls are on the spectrum.

Check this out on the "autism" board on this site. You will find a lot of opinions there and it may help you with your decision.

My husband and I just discussed this at lunch and decided to delay my daughter's 24 month old shots until she is over 3 years. Our speech therapist told us today that most of children are showing signs between 18 and 28 months. We don't want to take a chance with our history. We have a great doctor who reaaly repects my thoughts and goes along with us.
    Look into your family history. Weigh the pro and cons...... If it is a private preschool they can do whatever they want and ask your son to leave. If you are reallly concerned maybe you can delay immunizations and wait until he is older than 3 to go.

Good luck with your decision. I hope I didn't confuse you more. Any questions just ask

Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

The MMR does not, nor EVER has contained thimerosal. It is a live virus vaccine. The theory is that the use of thimerosal containing vaccines early in life, combined with overuse of antibiotics for early ear infections, etc weaken the body and the MMR live virus delivers the final blow.

It happened to my dd. Five years later, live measles virus could still be detected in high levels in her blood and saliva. There's definitely a connection in genetically vulnerable individuals and unfortunately, you don't know if you are until it's too late.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
    sem627
    Veteran
    (female)

sem627 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brocallie View Post
    The MMR does not, nor EVER has contained thimerosal. It is a live virus vaccine. The theory is that the use of thimerosal containing vaccines early in life, combined with overuse of antibiotics for early ear infections, etc weaken the body and the MMR live virus delivers the final blow.
    I'm confused. If you say thimerosal was never in MMR, why then did the CDC say they are looking into the thimerosal in the MMR shot? On Oprah yesterday she quoted the CDC and it said there that it was in MMR, but their studies don't show it is linked, but they are now looking into it further.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
    ShordyB
    (female)

ShordyB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sem627 View Post
    Are you sure your son hasn't already received MMR? The first one is generally given at the 12 month visit and then a booster at 4 years old.
    Your right, I requested a copy of my sons shot records for me today and he did get one on 4/19/07. Hes doing fine so I guess hes OK, I didnt notice anything since then different. I thought they gave it later on, but It says MMR#1 so Im guessing there are more to come.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
    KeltoKel
    Inactive
    (female)

KeltoKel HB User

Yeah, that was an interesting show. I even had my hubby watch it with me. I, myself, have been thinking about the MMR vaccination and maybe waiting for my son to get it at an older age. However, I read somewhere that more and more parents are choosing NOT to immunize their children, yet, autism has NOT declined. So...I found that very interesting.

I do think the autism boards here have a lot of helpful information. It seems many parents noticed something in their child at a young age - before the MMR shot. Even Jenny mentioned that she noticed the signs in her son before the shot but didn't realize it at the time.

Anyhow, like the show mentioned, go with your gut instinct.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:50 AM   #11
    ShordyB
    (female)

ShordyB HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KeltoKel View Post
    Even Jenny mentioned that she noticed the signs in her son before the shot but didn't realize it at the time.
    She has pictures too! I dont think even the CDC knows enough to show weither or not its something thats harmful. So its not really a yes or no thing! I think before injecting our childern they should be sure its 100% safe!

I thought she spoke very well on the show and had a lot of information!

As I said, my sister is a teacher to Autistic kids, she was in school for 6+ yrs and has been teaching for 5. She said her kids are on a glutin free diet that did nothing, and all the studies she has done and the cases she has seen, there was no turn around...its a very interesting and touchy subject. Hopefully one day they will have it all settled!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #12
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KeltoKel View Post
    However, I read somewhere that more and more parents are choosing NOT to immunize their children, yet, autism has NOT declined. So...I found that very interesting.
    another interesting thing to note.... because of all the allegations about thiomersal causing autism, and the lawsuits associated with all that, thiomersal was phased out of vaccines, and to my knowledge is no longer being used as a preservative in vaccines now. but phasing thiomersal out hasn't lowered the incidences of autism either.....

as it was mentioned earlier, the vaccines are blamed for autism because it is around the same time as the shot that symptoms start to show. there are plenty of kids out there who were diagnosed with autism BEFORE getting their MMR vaccinations though, so i'm not sure it's really a valid claim.

as far as some children not being diagnosed until they are older.... a lot of that depends on the parents of the child. in my experience, it's not that a normally developing 4 year old suddenly becomes autistic.... that 4 year old had problems all his life, but perhaps because his symptoms were more mild, he was just later in getting diagnosed. AND, because the rate of development in children varies so much, a lot of parents (and doctors) will wait years before having their child diagnosed, hoping their child is just a late bloomer and will "catch up" with the other children eventually. again, this could be because the child's symptoms are so mild, or it could be that the parents are just in denial about the problem (i've known a few in denial parents and they can be tough to deal with!).

anyway, if you're worried about it, ask your doctor where they get their vaccinations, and if their batch has thiomersal in it. he'll most likely blow off your concerns, and tell you it's all perfectly safe, but as you are paying your doctor to ensure the health of your child, YOU have the final say.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:50 AM   #13
    WarGerbil
    (female)

WarGerbil HB User

A comparison study was done with children who had a vaccine containing thimerosal and children who did not and there was no difference in the rate of autism in one group v. the other group.

One reason for the increase in autism diagnoses since the advent of most of these vaccines is that the diagnostic criteria for autism has changed. More children who would otherwise be diagnosed as "mentally retarded" are now being diagnosed as autistic.

Dairy allergies have also been linked to autism type symptoms, but it's interesting you don't see people panicking about giving their children milk. (Which one could easily argue is dangerous for a number of reasons autism notwithstanding)

You should discuss it with your doctor if you are concerned and see what his/her opinion is.

Last edited by WarGerbil; 09-22-2007 at 06:50 AM.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #14
    islamicgrl
    (female)

islamicgrl HB User

I remember when I first gave birth to my son i was overwhelmed by the thought of the MMR shot. Since I have a nephew who has autism and I saw the changes in him after he recieved the shot it really made me dread the day even more.
    Although I have to say I did notice signs in him way before the shot that he might have some delays or just that something wasnt right. Many parents especially when they have a new baby can be in denial (hope that doesnt upset anyone). You either assume that the kid is too young and everyone has their own pace and they will simply outgrow or catch up.
    After he got the shot he just started showing more signs but then again he was now older and that is usually around the age where kids can communicate more so I think that this is why most kids are not diagnosed with autism until around that age.
    Getting back to my point, I was so terrified when the 2yr mark showed up because now it was time for MMR. I explained my concerns to my doctor and she was very understanding and told me that since my son had a slight cold (runny nose) that she would postpone the shot for 3-4 months. It definetly helped me get over alot of the stress because mentally I was thinking ' he will be older and stronger' (even though it was just a few months). Well he got the shot.. nothing much changed. He does have some delays and he is currently going to early intervention and gets the therapy he needs. These delays were obvious before the shot by the way. Did the mmr have anything to do with some of the delays?? I will never know but I didnt notice a significant change post MMR.
    So, I think if you can ask the doctor if you can postpone the shot for a few months, this will give you alittle more time to do more research, read more parents comments especially parents who have children with autism.
    Good Luck

Closed Thread