It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Head Lice!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User
    Head Lice!!!!!!!!!!!

AND
    PLEASE HELP! My son was sent home with head lice last week (severe infestation). I just did a second application of the medicine and he is STILL loaded. And to top it off I HAVE IT! My hair is long and it was so hard to try and get it out! I am itching like crazy still. His father and him can buzz their heads but what can I do? I am going to try another application before I buzz my sons hair though. Washing all the linens and towels again. The problem is you are supposed to wait a week between applications and it says if you don't get all eggs out you will be re-infested in a month. I can still see eggs in his hair and can't get them out. IT FEELS SO CREEPY AND YUCKY. Any help? Any suggestions? I don't want us to keep re-infecting one another....UUUUUGGGGHHH!
    Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
    meechieny
    Veteran
    (female)

meechieny HB User
    Re: Head Lice!!!!!!!!!!!

Because you are limited on how many times you can apply the medication you may want to look into a "home remedy" for the time in between. You can't post links on this site, but if you were to do a search for "home remedy lice" you can't imagine how many different things you can do.
    Make sure when you are washing the linen you use the hottest water and dryer settings. Put all other items that can't be washed(stuffed amimals, baseball hats etc.) in garbage bags tied tight for one week. Vacum everything including the mattress and couch and then throw out the vacume bag(which most people forget to do.)
    Good luck.....I can feel for you! I'm all itchy just reading and writing this

Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

meechieny-
    THANK YOU! I will search home remedies right now. I am so itchy I can't sleep! I have a bagless vacuum. I have moved the stuffed animals and such in the corner of a room...guess I should tie them up. Can they be on my leather sofa? Didn't vacuum it. I am sleeping on it tonight. My son is is one bedroom my BF in another. His father has it like crazy too. My son is staying with me until this all gets resolved and his father is trying to rid himself too. It feels so creepy. I AM TOTALLY SKEVED OUT!!!!! My body now feels itchy all over.
    Bella

Last edited by tattoogirl; 10-14-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
    sem627
    Veteran
    (female)

sem627 HB User

My daughter had lice a couple years ago. I feel for you; it's terrible! Make sure you are washing and vaccuming EVERYTHING. If it's a comforter and it can't be washed, either bag it or have it dry cleaned. Many people forget to vaccum the car and the backpack. Wash your bathroom rugs, towels, etc. Vaccum the couch, pillows on it, all the floors.

Remind him not to share any hats or jackets at school either. I've heard that using Apple scented shampoo keeps them away after you've got it clean. Don't know if that's true or not though, but it's worth a try.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User

Hey, my daughter had a mild case this summer, so I truely feel for you.

The chemical stuff from the store did not work at all.

This is what I did:

I applied a thick layer of Real Mayo all over her head. I then covered her head with a shower cap and left the mayo on for 2 hours. This is supposed to smother the lice. I then rinsed her hair in the sink with the stopper in so I could see the dead bugs rinse out. After finally getting the mayo rinsed out, I poured white vineager on her head. This helps the eggs to loosen up.

Get in a really bright area so you can see good. The hardest part for me was getting all the eggs.

The best part about doing this was that I could reapply anytime I felt the need and her hair was soft and shiney. I even did mine and I did not have lice.

Also, do what the above posters recommended about washing, drying a va******* everything.

I anow use tea tree oil mixed with her shampoo and blow dry every night. This is supposed to deter them. So far so good.

Good luck!!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 AM   #6
    Geoff B
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Geoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB User

THere is NO REason to wash the linen, pillow cases etc. for head lice. I went to a lecture by an expert at a local entomological society recently and this is one of the things he stressed. That precaution only applies to body lice which are very rare nowadays, except in some communities of homeless people, who sleep huddled together for warmth and can't wash their clothes. Hedlice are a different species to body lice. The expert said pharmacies still sell big bottles of insecticide (to which all headlice are resistant now anyway) to wash clothes in but tests have shown almost no lice, nymphs or eggs on pillows, clothes or in bedding. It's just a money-making exercise. He estimates the average family spend $200 trying to treat the first infestation and most of the insecticidal treatments sold don't work because of evolved resistance to them.
    The best alternative treatments have a high proportion of tea-tree and eucalyptus oil, the volatility of these oils helps kill the lice. A steel-toothed nit comb is the best way to remove the eggs (nits) which are cemented to the hair (not just laid anywhere). Softening with conditioner helps in this process. Cutting the hair short also helps.
    Lice infestations make you feel unwell or lousy. That's where the expression comes from.

Last edited by Geoff B; 10-16-2007 at 06:24 AM.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

THANK TO U BOTH!!!!

Sem- I didn't even think of his backpack...thanks....and car seat (duh on my part). He isn't allowed in school. He missed school since last Wed. and his father tried to bring him in for his 1st grade pictures and they denied him. I have been working so hard to rid him of this and he has been a sport. But I feel really bad he misses his pictures . His dad is taking him to the pediatrician today.

tlhalabama-
    I did the only mayo thing yesterday, combed, and had him shower with T-Gel by Neutrogena. Last night I did the Listerine and Vinegar treatment...boy was that an undertaking and smelly . Ya the eggs are so hard to get out. Guess I have to keep on trying. The infestation was really bad I guess. And IN FRONT OF MY SON the school nurse said it was the worst case she had ever seen... for my son. I thought his itching was due to dry scalp because he was growing his hair out and he has thick/a lot. The nurse said it was hard for her to find them. And my mom (who is a nurse) and dad (who is a doctor) couldn't see them and thought it was just dandruff because I tend to get it a couple times a years. But they only examined in normal light. This totally bits...pun intended.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS! Let u know how it goes. He is just missing so much school it makes me worry he might have to repeat the grade. There are many other traumatic things he has and is facing this year that I really feel for him. In our school district a certain # of days missed...means repeating school year! And it's also kinda a snobby area and the kids get treated kinda crappy when they contract lice. There should be more compassion for young children. And even the school nurse showed little compassion!

Bella

Last edited by tattoogirl; 10-16-2007 at 06:48 AM.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
    Geoff B
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Geoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB UserGeoff B HB User

Don't worry about the backpack of vacuuming! They don’t even go onto hats! A survey done of a classroom where there was heavy infestation found no lice or eggs on the floor or on kids’ hats. They stay on hair and lay eggs only on hair. They transfer only from head to head.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hey GeoffB-
    Thanks for the info. We finally buzzed my sons hair off. I am sitting here right now with Listerine on my head. And then I will comb through with vinegar. I thought conditioner wasn't supposed to be used. Thank GOD it can my hair is totally being ripped out by the combs. I will use conditioner this time. My hair is getting SOOOOOOOO dry. If this doesn't work, I will try the tea tree oil. I am going to get the tea tree oil shampoo anyway too. I am crossing my fingers!
    Bella

Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 AM   #10
    Geoff B
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

You comb the hair while it is wet with conditioner. It helps the hair go through the fine-toothed nit comb (you do have a steel-toothed one?) without snagging and may help dislodge the nits (eggs).

Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

I have the plastic one and the metal one. I have ripped out so much of my hair. I just got the prescription strength medicine because I have tried every thing else. My scalp is so raw and dry. Think I am going to start slathering on the conditioner! My mom did my hair this morning and she could actually see patches of hair missing from the back from when I attempted all those times to do it myself. I really hope this is all over with soon. Thanks!
    Bella

Last edited by tattoogirl; 10-22-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Closed Thread