It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 3 year old on 1 cap of Miralax and 15 month old with bowel issues.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
    gel2005
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gel2005 HB User
    Question 3 year old on 1 cap of Miralax and 15 month old with bowel issues.

My 3 year old girl has had bowel issues since before she was a year old. Specifically she has had chronic constipation. Her stool have never been normal. Usually small and firm. She has always eaten a lot of veggies and fruits. Broccoli is her favourite! Finally I got to a Dr that didn't brush me off who put my child on Miralax. She started off with 2 teaspoons which actually worked and she was doing great. Eventually she Started holding it in again and we had to up the Miralax dose to half a cap. It got to the point that in order to go her stools had to be very loose to diarrhea consistency and I could not get a Dr to listen to me. She finally got to the point that she would not go at all and I was told once again to up her dose to 1 cap plus give her milk of mag as needed to go. This didn't help. She would still hold it in and we would just have leakage. I made her an appointment with the ped and she did a rectal exam and discovered that she had a large clump of stool pretty far up her colon and told me to continue the Miralax and do one enema every day for 3 days and scheduled an appointment with the GI for the end of June. My daughter is still refusing to go and we ware just having "leakage" I called the ped back and she called the GI and what do you know, they got her in this coming Monday. I have tried almost all of it. Diet changes and all. She ate a ton of corn the other day and nothing. The ped said that clump could still be up there, so I guess that could be our problem. Does anyone else think that it is strange that they haven't done an x-ray on her yet? Can anyone tell me what to expect at the GI on Monday.

I also have a 15 month old that gets bought of diarrhea. Diary and soy were to cause and also I think wheat. He also gets really bad gas and will get really cranky. When he gets diarrhea he instantaneously gets a bad diaper rash. It is also common for him to have mucus and slimy stools with the diarrhea. The Dr did a blood allergy test and he was neg for everything so she is now sending him to a GI too. I just can't help but feel like I am getting passed off here. Should I ask for a skin allergy test. He is a very healthy boy. He weighs 28lbs.

Any feedback on both or either is more then welcomed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: 3 year old on 1 cap of Miralax and 15 month old with bowel issues.

Have either of your children been tested for cystic fibrosis? Or Celiacs Disease?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
    gel2005
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gel2005 HB User

No, neither. However, I have been looking into Celiacs. My Husband has lots of bowel issues and joint pain and wants to be tested for it himself. I have though about Celiacs with my son, but the Ped said that was not likely because he is gaining weight and all. He is not struggling to "thrive". He is in the 75th percentile while my daughter is in the 25th. Neither of my kids have had any tests ran except for the allergy testing on my son. Hopefully the GI can shed some light. My DS has an apt with the GI at the end of June, so I will for sure ask about Celiacs then.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I'd encourage testing for Cystic Fibrosis "to rule it out" as well. Not to scare you but a friend of mine's daughter had constipation issues and when she was 18 months was tested for CF. Other symptoms can include loose bulky, foul smelling, mucusy stools... Digestive issues. Failure to thrive -- though not always...

Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
    gel2005
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gel2005 HB User

I have read the symptoms for that and I really don't feel that it is, but I can always ask the GI Dr about it. Both my kids are completely healthy other then these issues that I mentioned. I am so looking forward to finding out some answer with my daughter on Monday or at least be on that road. You did not scare me at all and I really appreciate you responding to me. For my son, I am leaning towards Celiac, but I am really not sure.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

where i don't have any experience with celiac's, i do have a lot of experience with doctors who say "it's not likely" about certain things. "not likely" means there is a chance, so be firm about getting your kids tested!!! in my family, we always seem to be lucky enough to fall into that tiny little percentage (which if you do the math, isn't really that tiny at all!) that would cover the "not likely" percentage! doctors don't ever want to do tests based on that tiny little percentage, so you really do have to be tough and firm with them!

anyway, good luck and i sure hope you figure things out for your little ones!

Old 05-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
    gel2005
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gel2005 HB User

My daughter has her GI appointment tomorrow. I am looking forward to talking to the Dr about her and seeing what he says. Hopefully I will get some answers and just not the brush off. She hasn't had a decent size bowel movement in over a week. just leakage stuff and that is it.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
    mcr285
    Inactive
    (female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

poor kid.... and poor mom! i know a bit of what you're going through with the constipation thing! my two year old holds it in about once or twice a week. fortunately for us, cooked prunes works wonders for her (i cook and puree' the prunes with strawberries and then mix it with a bit of applesauce and she loves it!), so we haven't had to deal with the doctor for her issues yet! i sure hope the prunes keep working for her! it can be so frustrating when you're like "if you'd just poop the first time, we wouldn't be in this mess now!!!" i just hate seeing her in pain when there is really nothing i can do to help her!

anyway, hang in there! hopefully all goes well at the doctor tomorrow and they can figure things out for you and your little ones!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
    WaytoGo14
    (female)

WaytoGo14 HB User

If she really has a big obstruction it would be easy for you to feel it. Put her on her back and slowly walk you fingers over her belly, starting on the left side (you left, her right) under her belly button, up and across just above her belly button and then down toward her pubic bone. A lump big enough to cause leakage you should be able to feel (and she will say it hurts...).

She is young, please get this sorted out before she develops something like megacolon (kids with encopresis, or chronic constipation develop this after having a big obstruction that has not been taken care of...).
    Also - just my two cents - get her tested for celiac and hypothyroidism (both are real easy to test for). Better to know it isn't that!

If your GI brushes you off, find another one, maybe a pediatric one?
    My daughter has encopresis and it took us forever to find a helpful GI.

Hope this helps,

L.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
    gel2005
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gel2005 HB User

Today the GI did a physical exam and a rectal exam and said that both of those were normal. He then took an x-ray and that sowed that she was impacted on the left side. I was happy that someone finally did an x-ray and the Dr was happy that he did it too, because now he knows how aggressively we need to treat this. He upped her Miralax dose from 1 cap ful(adult dose) to 2 cap fulls. For now we are to give her an enema tonight and tomorrow and 1 square of ex-lax today, tomorrow and Wednesday and on Friday and Saturdays until further notice. We are also to mix 8 caps of Miralax with 64 oz of juice and she is to drink that in the next 48 hours. We are to keep her BMs the consistency of pudding. OK, so I won't be having any of that any time soon. We have another follow up on June 26th. She has an enlarged colon due to the constipation, but that will shrink back down when she is going regularly. Basically what we have to do know is to train her to have BMS and lat/make herself go. Hopefully once we get this impaction taken care of it will be easier for her to go. She has been having tummy pains and not eating well and this is why.

WaytoGo14 - The Dr doesn't think that she exhibits the symptoms of hypothyroidism. She is very hyper active and doesn't complain of the cold. He thinks that the constipation is more of a mental thing and I really think that is the case here. We will see how the next few weeks turn out.

Thank you for all your support, I really do appreciated it. This is so hard to deal with. I just hate seeing my little giral have to go through this, and I hate giving her all these meds.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
    WaytoGo14
    (female)

WaytoGo14 HB User

Hi Gel,

Just FYI: it can take up to 6 months (sometimes even longer) for the colon to shrink back to normal size. And with the amount of miralax you are dealing with I don't think you will see pudding (sorry), I think you will see watery stools, and a lot of them (sorry again).

L.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
    gel2005
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gel2005 HB User

Thanks WaytoGo. I ended up calling the GI back and we had to get a little more aggressive, but she finally went yesterday, 4 substantial times and 4 again today. I am so happy! It is like half set pudding right now. She is happier and eating better too. I am just glad that she is going. We have a follow up apt the end of June. The GI told me that I may have to adjust the Maralx a little to get it to the right constancy. For Now, I am going to leave it as is.

Thank you for all the support!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
    kersey275
    (female)

kersey275 HB User

Just letting you know; Hirshprungs disease(chronic megacolon) is a genetic disorder.In the mothers womb, nerve endings in the colon do not grow. Nobody caused it; Only surgery can fix it. A biopsy of the colon is used to confirm it. No nerves,no peristalis, no excreting fecal matter.Much care...

Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
    WaytoGo14
    (female)

WaytoGo14 HB User

Gel, how are things?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
    gel2005
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gel2005 HB User

She is actually doing a lot better. Still on teh miralax, but going everyday on the potty! It has been a long hard road, but we are fianally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My sons issues have cleared up and he can now have dairy. Yay! I have been very blessed.

Closed Thread