It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• My seven year old is sneaking food

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
    busy mom of two
    (female)

busy mom of two HB User
    My seven year old is sneaking food

My seven year old daughter has been sneaking food in the middle of the night. She was last weighed earlier in the year and I am very aware of the weight issue with her. She is over 70 lbs and has a stocky build like myself. I am not a health food junkie, But I am concious of what I feed my family. My husband is hodgkin's disease survivor twice over and my other daughter, whose is her twin, is a type 1 diabetic. the diabetic does not sneak food,(thank God!!) But the other does. There is easily a twenty pound difference between the two girls! I don't want to give her a complex about her weight, but when I confront her about the issue, she cries and says she cant help it...It is never healthy food that she is taking, always the treats that I try unsucessfully to hide from her. She complains that she is always hungry, and i have checked her glucose levels and they are normal. I am not sure what the problem is, we have a happy home, they dont lack for anything, honestly, they are a little spoiled. She has lots of friends at school, (I know this because i work there part time) but I also know that kids can be cruel, and say things when I'm not there. I am certainly not blind to this, being a chunky child myself, the teasing, and snickering. But she never says a word to me about it when I ask. What do I do????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
    hateadhd
    (female)

hateadhd HB User
    Re: My seven year old is sneaking food

All I can think of is get rid of the junk food. Remember using junk as "treats" is sending a bad message anyways. Its hard to gain weight on food like carrot sticks .. its way easier to grab a handful of chips or cookies.
    I am going out on a limb here, but it must be hard to have a twin sister ( or any type of sibling really, ) with a serious health issue like diabetes, I bet it takes alot of your attention,, maybe is just reacting to that by comforting herself,,..
    I would try not to make to big of a deal about it,, and perhaps find a hobby you could get her interested in , JUST FOR her,, not her sister.. a sport( think outside the box, maybe archery or trampolining, not running thats not fun when you are plump, and not a team sport, where other kids may tease her) or something like Brownies.. anything to keep her busy and feeling special about herself. My daughter loved theater and we found a theater group for children when she was 10, she loved it.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
    Smartshief
    (female)

Smartshief HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by busy mom of two View Post
    My seven year old daughter has been sneaking food in the middle of the night. She was last weighed earlier in the year and I am very aware of the weight issue with her. She is over 70 lbs and has a stocky build like myself. I am not a health food junkie, But I am concious of what I feed my family. My husband is hodgkin's disease survivor twice over and my other daughter, whose is her twin, is a type 1 diabetic. the diabetic does not sneak food,(thank God!!) But the other does. There is easily a twenty pound difference between the two girls! I don't want to give her a complex about her weight, but when I confront her about the issue, she cries and says she cant help it...It is never healthy food that she is taking, always the treats that I try unsucessfully to hide from her. She complains that she is always hungry, and i have checked her glucose levels and they are normal. I am not sure what the problem is, we have a happy home, they dont lack for anything, honestly, they are a little spoiled. She has lots of friends at school, (I know this because i work there part time) but I also know that kids can be cruel, and say things when I'm not there. I am certainly not blind to this, being a chunky child myself, the teasing, and snickering. But she never says a word to me about it when I ask. What do I do????
    Good day for you! At first, excuse me for my poor English, so I'm from Moscow in Russia.
    I can understand you what you warry about because I have a similar problem with my dauther. She is about 7 years old. And she is overweight. And she has lots of friends at school, but I also know that some kids say unpleased things about her body. Everything is true for our family too. And every time I ask myself:"What do I do?" And I Have realised what to do with her sneaking food and her weight. I have told to my dauther about her wonderfull future, about her beatifull body and fase, about kind soul. Because our children wery often have coming down self-esteem. And it have woked but not at once. If you want to talk obout it more I'll be very glad. Good luck for you and your prinsess.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
    busy mom of two
    (female)

busy mom of two HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hateadhd View Post
    All I can think of is get rid of the junk food. Remember using junk as "treats" is sending a bad message anyways. Its hard to gain weight on food like carrot sticks .. its way easier to grab a handful of chips or cookies.
    I am going out on a limb here, but it must be hard to have a twin sister ( or any type of sibling really, ) with a serious health issue like diabetes, I bet it takes alot of your attention,, maybe is just reacting to that by comforting herself,,..
    I would try not to make to big of a deal about it,, and perhaps find a hobby you could get her interested in , JUST FOR her,, not her sister.. a sport( think outside the box, maybe archery or trampolining, not running thats not fun when you are plump, and not a team sport, where other kids may tease her) or something like Brownies.. anything to keep her busy and feeling special about herself. My daughter loved theater and we found a theater group for children when she was 10, she loved it.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
    busy mom of two
    (female)

busy mom of two HB User

Hi! Thanks so much for your feedback on this, i have taken her to the doctor to shed some light on this and he suggested setting out a specific food for just her to eat, such as her favorite fruit or veggie, and taking her shopping for said snacks so she can choose the ones she wants. Then putting the snacks in a designated area for her to eat when she chooses, but at the dining room table, not in bed or in front of the tv. So far this has been working great! My stache of Oreos on top of the refridgerator hasn't been touched! I really hope that this sticks with her, but the activity thing is a great idea, and the doctor did mention that she might be trying to comfort herself with food as a result of our attention to her sister's health issues. She is going to be enrolling in Brownies next year. She tried ballet through our local rec dept last year and loved it until the other kids and (Lord help us) the PARENTS commented on her weight. I gotta admit, I had some choice words with those parents in private, believe me! But she's been a little insecure since all of that. I wonder if that's what did it??

Old 01-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
    busy mom of two
    (female)

busy mom of two HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smartshief View Post
    Good day for you! At first, excuse me for my poor English, so I'm from Moscow in Russia.
    I can understand you what you warry about because I have a similar problem with my dauther. She is about 7 years old. And she is overweight. And she has lots of friends at school, but I also know that some kids say unpleased things about her body. Everything is true for our family too. And every time I ask myself:"What do I do?" And I Have realised what to do with her sneaking food and her weight. I have told to my dauther about her wonderfull future, about her beatifull body and fase, about kind soul. Because our children wery often have coming down self-esteem. And it have woked but not at once. If you want to talk obout it more I'll be very glad. Good luck for you and your prinsess.
    Your English was just fine!! I did take her to a doctor and have been trying some new things that are working very well! We go shopping together and she picks her favorite fruits and veggies and we set them out for her in a designated spot for her to eat when she chooses, but only at the dining room table with the tv off. My stache of Oreos on top of the refridgerator hasn't been touched since. She is a beautiful little girl and smart as a whip as I'm sure your daughter is as well, and to me she is perfect in every way. I was more concerned with her health and well being, and as I said and you as well, people are cruel and very judgemental when it comes to appearance. She is really into this girl called Hannah Montana here in the States. I'm not sure if she's popular in Russia or not, but she is a sensation with little girls here, and she's the typical skinny teenager, with a clothing line, and all of it is too small for my daughter. It's heartbreaking to not be able to get her the trendy clothes and have to buy her husky jeans. Hopefully we can get her healthy again so she can feel good about herself. Thanks so much for your feedback, hope some of it helps your daughter. Im interested to see if this works for someone else and maybe make your little one happy. Good Luck to you! Let me know if it helps!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Busy Mom,
    I can relate to this because my middle son did the same thing when he was young. He would take cookies to bed and hide them under his pillow. I would find crumbs the next morning when I was making the bed. He was a chunky youngster too. I think it's a self esteem issue and food gives comfort. Been there myself When stressed I become a "chocoholic". It might be less tempting if you just got rid of the stash of Oreos. No one needs them anyway, right? I now buy sugar free pudding cups and fruit cups packed in water to satisfy my sweet tooth. Every once in a while, I treat myself with a piece of dark chocolate. Anyway, my son is now a grown man and quite the health nut. Goes to the gym everyday and eats healthy. So it will all work out, I'm sure ..Take care.

Closed Thread