It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

ingesting mold

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: FL USA
Posts: 117
marcine26 HB User
ingesting mold

I am actually a little embarrased asking this and I dont know why.

my son 4 1/2 years old ingesting mold that was on his window sill. I am not sure how much but he came out of his room and had it all over his hands from sneaking a peak out his window while he was supposed to be sleeping. He came out asking to wash his hands and after some back and forth tug of war, he told me the black on his hands was from his window. I went in and noticed the dark mold on the bottom of the window. While I was cleaning his hands I noticed the black on his lips and told him to open his mouth and there was all kinds of black in there.

This all happened about a week ago with no least nothing out of the ordinary.

SHould I be concerned, what symptoms should I watch out for?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
esker's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 482
esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: ingesting mold

You wouldn't think so, but this is probably a good thing because now your child's immune system will recognize mold as a normal part of the environment and ignore it instead of developing allergies to it. When we try to isolate children from their environment and try to be super clean, the immune system does not know what is normal and then becomes hypersensitive later in life. Scientists call this the "hygiene hypothesis".

Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 5,191
tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: ingesting mold

there is mold in a lot of our food. practically any kind of cheese has a mold, which gives it its distinctive flavor.
it is a little peculiar that the child ate the mold. I would consider having him tested for pica at the next doctor visit. I ate sand as a child. it was a potassium deficiency. if I had had a banana, I wouldn't have craved the sand.

Last edited by tommy124; 01-28-2009 at 07:41 AM.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Mold related illness sharewithme Environmental Disorders 20 10-20-2011 09:14 PM
Does my apartment have any symptoms of mold? bignosycat Environmental Disorders 11 02-13-2009 08:59 AM
Mold is making us sick??? karicontreras Environmental Disorders 6 07-18-2008 12:24 AM
Lyme/Mold Combo luckeeluke Lyme Disease 9 06-21-2008 09:26 AM
shed mold spoonse Environmental Disorders 7 01-29-2008 08:34 AM
Mold problems suggi Environmental Disorders 67 12-16-2007 02:58 PM
very sick...toxic mold???? klj700 Environmental Disorders 11 10-17-2007 08:02 PM
Mold Poisoning Am I Dieing? jennyVee Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD 15 12-29-2005 03:49 PM
toxic mold lil'missdiagnosis Environmental Disorders 54 10-23-2005 02:33 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Site owned and operated by™
© 1998-2018™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!