It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 3 1/2 year old having "accidents"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
    paresse
    (female)

paresse HB User
    3 1/2 year old having "accidents"

Hello all,

My 3 1/2 year old daughter who has been toilet trained for over 1 year (day and night) has been peeing in her pants for over 1 month. Some days she has accidents as many as 3 times. The first time it happened, she seemed upset so I told her it was ok then just changed her underwear. Now whenever it happens she says "it's okay, I can just change my underwear". I don't know what to do. I ask her why and she doesn't give me an answer. She can tell I'm getting frustrated. It's also happening at her nursery school.
    I don't think that she has a UTI because I always asks her if it hurts when she pees and she says no.

I would appreciate any feedback to this problem which seems to be worsening by the day. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User
    Re: 3 1/2 year old having "accidents"

Lots of children regress after mastering a new skill... just to see what happens. It sounds to me like your daughter has regressed, and didn't seem phased by your reaction so she has adopted it as her own. There is, of course, a possibility that your DD has some other medical condition that has caused this, or that there is a disruption in some aspect of her life (from her perspective) that is the root. You need to investigate those two things first. Check with her ped to see if he/she has suggestions. If you don't get help there, go to the library and start re-reading those potty training books. Most have sections that deal with just this sort of thing.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
    niknak77
    Veteran
    (female)

niknak77 HB User

My daughter went through this exact same thing. I don't have any brilliant advice we just had to ride it out but I just wanted to say that I understand and that it will get better and she will go back to taking care of business "like a big girl" Maybe try explaining that nursery school is just for big girls who use the potty, and that not using the potty means she can't go, might work?
    Oh, my son also did this briefly (with #2), ignoring him was the only thing that made any difference. He just wanted mom to do it-clean him up. For him it was for attention and being babied. Once he realized that making himself a mess didn't even get a raised eyebrow, the effort of cleaning and changing himself just wasn't worth it and he quit. (thankfully)
    Try to stay patient and calm, it will pass eventually. Good luck.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
    Eeps
    (female)

Eeps HB User

We've been through a few regressions with my son, it's perfectly normal. Things that set it off have been; colds, growth spurts, starting preschool, and loosing his grandmother.

One thing that has helped us get back on track quickly is to make sure he alwayssits on the potty and tries to pee some more after he's had an accident, even if it's just for a minute.

I would get her checked for a UTI even if she isn't complaining of pain. She may not think of the discomfort of a low level infection as "pain."

Closed Thread