It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• MRSA & boils

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
    hollydolly852
    (female)

hollydolly852 HB User
    MRSA & boils

My 4 yr old has had boils for quite some time now. We were finally able to get a culture from one & found out that it is MRSA. A Staph infection that is resistant to antibiotics. The pediatrician prescribed Bactroban (miopricin 2% ointment) for use on the boils themselves & also for the whole family to put in our noses to kill the staph which is carried in the nose by someone in the household who is obviously infecting her.
    I read the information leaflet that came with the bactroban & it says not for use in the nose so I asked the pharmacists & she said it was okay.
    I've read so many things on the internet referring to Bactroban nasal which is pre-measured vile type things. This is not what I have. Mine is a tube of ointment that specifically says in the information not for use in mucosal surfaces.
    I am so confused?!? I do not feel comfortable asking my boyfriend & his three children who live with us to put this stuff up their nose if it's not safe.
    Has anyone had this similar issue or possibly used Bactroban ointment in their nostrils before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
    fufu
    Inactive
    (female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User
    Re: MRSA & boils

i always apply bactroban on skin wounds though never used it in the nostrils.
    i would suggest you contact the company and ask them. try to see if there is a phone number on the insert or on the box, if not get it through the internet, they will probably be the one's to answer your question.
    hope this helps you.

Last edited by fufu; 04-01-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
    gardenandcats
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I myself have MRSA in the nose that flairs up a few times a year my doctor gives me the same ointment and I always use it inside my nose..

Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
    Loricakes
    (female)

Loricakes HB User

I have MRSA and had been on 1500 mg of Cipro for 10 days. I thought it was gone but I was wrong. Today is my fifth day without antiobiotics and I am sure its coming back again. My body has already started itching and I feel like my immune system is depleted. While I had MRSA I also had the flu and all those symptoms are coming back again. I have read everybody elses posts and just wonder what it really takes to beat this thing. I am cleaning like a germaphobe. To make matters worse I have been unemployed for 6.5 months. The expense of the countless medications, bodywashes, nasal and skin ointments has been awful.
    I am looking for someone who has conquered this to tell me what they did? Did they work in the meantime? Can you be in the company of family(kids too)? Cause I dont think so. Besides the antiobiotics and tons of different sizes of baidaids, I plan on cleaning things over and over. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it? Thanks in advance!

Lori

Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Arrow Re: MRSA & boils

People have used tea tree oil with success. Essential oils like tea tree oil are often naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. There are other essential oil such as lavendar, bergamot (citrus), eucalyptus, etc. I suggest you also look into natural ways of healing this too.

Closed Thread