It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• Blue patch/spot on baby bridge of nose

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
    RGallagher320
    (female)

RGallagher320 HB User
    Blue patch/spot on baby bridge of nose

My son is 4 months old. He was born with a blue spot/patch on the bridge of his nose and is still there. It looks like a bruise. I am just wondering if I should be concerned. My ped hasn't mentioned it at any of his appointments. It's very visible. It's not a straight line, but looks like a patch or bruise. it's not raised and appears to be just under the skin. If I move the skin from his forehead onto it, it disappears.

He is fair-skinned (two Irish parents). Is this some sort of vein (or cluster of veins) or cluster of blood vessels? Is it because his skin is still thin at this age? I'm worried.

And more importantly. will this fade away or disappear when he gains weight/gets fatter?

Any advice would be great.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #2
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: Blue patch/spot on baby bridge of nose

Hi rgallagher, My son & two of my nephews had the same bluish discoloration right at bridge of nose between eyebrows at birth & it would blanch away if slight pressure put on it with fingertip & our pediatrician said it was from a large vein located just under the skin, may be a familial trait, and it would disappear with age & it wasnt anything to be troubled about. All three boys were very blond & fair & the newborn skin wasnt thin but was translucent & my son's grew less & less visible with each passing year & was no longer visible by 4th birthday & my nephews both faded away earlier around age 2 or 3.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
    RGallagher320
    (female)

RGallagher320 HB User
    Re: Blue patch/spot on baby bridge of nose

gmak, thank you for posting back. It's reassuring that it went away for your son and nephews. I'm very worried (first time mom) that it's something that will stick with him forever and I/he will constantly have to explain that it's not a bruise. He goes to the doctor next week but they sort of just brush it off. Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-09-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    baby, blue, bridge of nose, vein