It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board

• 10 year old with brain fog

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
    Louber
    (female)

Louber HB User
    10 year old with brain fog

My 10 year old son has been treated for primary inattentive ADHD for 1 1/2 years. We have been increasing doses every 6 months since he started due to his symptoms getting worse and the medication not lasting as long as it should. He has trouble with following directions and not completing his school work due to this... grades falling. (Medication only lasts an average of 3, pushing 4 hours where it should last 12-14 hours.) There is a strong family history of hyper AND hypothyroid, going back 4 generations on his dad's side. I just have this gutt feeling that maybe my son's problem isn't ADHD, but thyroid instead, so I pushed to have him tested. His results are as follows:

TSH: 2.19 (Range 0.34-4.82)
    FT4: 0.8 (Range 0.7-1.6)

No other thyroid test performed .

His pediatrician has sent a note to an endocrinologist for an opinion due to the lower FT4... although it's within normal range, but just a low normal. We had my son tested... no learning disability, just Primary Inattentive ADD. He has some generalized anxiety.

I would appreciate any thoughts out there.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Louber; 11-03-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: 10 year old with brain fog

Hi, you did not mention what medication you son has been prescribed buy if it is the commonly prescribed medicine Adderall it would explain the problems he is going through. The active ingredient in Adderall is amphetamine which can be problematic because one develops a tolerance towards the drug making less effective as time goes by so one must keep increasing the dosage often times with even less effectiveness. I have always been of the opinion that children should not be prescribed this drug because of both the addictive and tolerance issues. My advice is for you to research "amino acid therapy for ADHD" as it is a way to treat the symptoms using natural ingredients without addiction or tolerance problems. Another good idea is to enroll your son on karate classes which will build up his body and mind and teach him how to focus. A good discipline like the martial arts will give him a lifetime of tools for him to become more self confident and focused. Good luck to you.... .

Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
    Louber
    (female)

Louber HB User

Thank you for your reply. He is taking vyvanse... yes an amphetamine. I don't like these drugs but amphetamines seem to be the o nly thing that helps inattentive ADHD. Prior to vyvanse we tried high doses omega... that helped some, but not enough. Thank you for your alternative suggestion to these meds. I will certainly take a look and research. I would prefer the alternative if it works. I hate the amphetamines, but feel I must help my child any way I can...

so... the thyroid levels couldn't be the problem?

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, even though low, the levels still are within normal range but still a possibility but a low one. Back in the 1950s and 60s when I was growing up, the term ADHD had not been invented yet but still there were many children with ADHD symptoms and there was very little recourse a parent could take to help their children. The difference was children back then were constantly running, playing and were very active and would work out their hyperness. These days for the most part they go home from school and sit around on the computer, TV, and video games so there is little physical outlet for the children expend their energy. This is just my observation but I find it interesting to compare two time periods in America....

Closed Thread

Tags
    hypothyroid question, hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism hashimotos, thyroid blood tests, thyroid disorder