It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
MagnumPI
(female)

MagnumPI HB User
Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome?

I have had a "fever of unknown origin" for 2.5 months now. The last time I was at work was before Christmas (I am on leave right now).

This all kicked off with the worst sickness of my life. I thought I had a really bad case of the flu as I got sick right after flying. I can tell you the exact date and time I became sick (December 18th). After the new year, I went to the doctor because I felt like I'd been on the verge of death for over two weeks at this point. Got put on a zpack, which cleared up some sinus pressure I was having but the fever and major fatigue remained. I also lost about 10 pounds the first month I was sick because I had NO appetite. My appetite is now normal, but this fever remains... Iím also having a lot of cold sores since getting sick last year, despite being on a daily Valtrex prescription for it for the past two years, which previously controlled them very well.

The fever is low grade (between 99-100 F). I have had tons of bloodwork done to no avail. My CRP is mildly elevated (.54 with a normal range of 0 to .29) and my IgM immunoglobulin is low, but IgG and IgA are normal. I tested positive for past EBV (had it ten years ago) and CMV, but no current infections. Many negative lyme tests. Negative for all kinds of hepatitis, HIV, etc. Had a CT scan that turned up nothing but a thyroid nodule. I've been told we can monitor the thyroid nodule, but all my thyroid lab work is normal so that's apparently not the issue. My CBC is normal. Normal ANA and rheumatoid factor.

After seeing infectious disease, cardiology (normal echocardiogram and holter monitors), and endocrinology, I was sent to rheumatology. She seemed frustrated I was there, and told me "I have no idea why they sent you to me, this isn't a rheumatology issue". I don't know where to turn next. I am sick, and no one can find a reason.

People are starting to throw around the term "post viral syndrome". Apparently you can have low grade fevers with PVFS according to some of the doctors I've seen. When you punch PVFS into google, you get articles on CFS - although I'm not convinced this is the same, and I have not been ill long enough to have a CFS diagnosis. I'm a 28 year old female who was healthy before this...

I guess I'm just here looking for support. Is this really what could be causing my problems? I'm afraid that despite this extremely expensive and thorough workup that we've missed something else dangerous. Meanwhile, my life has ground to a halt... I was supposed to move in July to start a new job, and I'm afraid I won't be able to if things continue like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome?

When medical doctors have checked for everything they can think of and can't find anything, that's when I suspect it might be diet related. The reason I say this is because diet, to a large extent, has an effect on your immune system. And you need your immune system functioning at its best in order to fight whatever it is that is causing your illness.

There are so many things that can have an adverse effect on your immune system. For example, your weight. Are you at the high end of normal with a BMI of 23 or 24? Or perhaps you are overweight. That that would have an impact on your immune system.

When you're not feeling well, do you tend to double down on comfort foods?
Do you drink soft drinks? Do you eat lots of baked goods? Processed convenience-foods? All of these thing matter.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Reply Reply