It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• Can i be diagnosed while other conditions exist

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
    knotheadsrus
    (female)

knotheadsrus HB User
    Unhappy Can i be diagnosed while other conditions exist

It has been a long time since i first posted on this forum. I finally saw a doctor who actually listened to my symptoms. The first day i was in his office i was a blubbery teary mess ... he listened and said "You have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" I do not know if he has actually "Diagnosed" me with it. I also have have thyroid issues and low vit D. Which go out of whack from time to time.... does that negate an actual diagnosis of CFS?

Can you still get an actual diagnosis of CFS if you have other conditions that could cause fatigue... because this is not just my thyroid or low vit D kicking my butt. I ask now, because my work has decided to change my schedule again....I work 12 hour shifts 7p-7a. We work 3 days and have 4 days off in a row. The last day was a killer, but 4 days off in a row gave me at least a few days to recover and maybe a day to spend with family or friends. That is changing. They are now going to make us do the 12 hour shift (16 when there is overtime) but with rotating days off... which means there are times when we will only get one day off in a row. I will get off at 7am ... either have to stay up 24 hours to spend with family or sleep and then try to sleep again the next morning to go right back in.

I have FMLA but that had to be issued for the "migraines" that go with the chronic fatigue as fatigue itself was not a qualifying issue. I am beside myself trying to figure out how to survive work for the next 2 years until i can retire. I can't retire early and restrictions on overtime would deem me "unfit for duty". My union sucks and has basically said that we have no options ... that they are letting management choose our schedules... not only that... management can change them anytime they see fit as long as they give us 10 days notice. Which means my life can be disrupted every 2 weeks. I have been struggling a lot lately...as i said... i am still semi functional but i am stressing huge because i do not want to get back to the days i had where i couldn't get off the bathroom floor to get back to bed.... or had to nap for hours after getting a shower.

I just need to survive until Sept 2021 but i am not seeing how it is possible right now. So very upset. Thank you for listening. I am sorry to rant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Can i be diagnosed while other conditions exist

Dear knotheadsrus,

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is just a catch all phrase that means you are tired and no one knows exactly why. Nothing more.

My close to retirement age spouse was given a terrible work schedule and he has not been able to be a happy camper. Give yourself a break. Certainly cut back any other activities and get all the rest that you can. Your work schedule seems to be the culprit, as well as thyroid issues and low vit D. None of those are small matters.

Really it is imperative to get your thyroid at optimal level for you. There is no magic thyroid formula or one size fits all. It takes weeks with each dose change to see if it helps. But it is a good thing to work with your doctor and get that figured out.

Give yourself a break. Certainly cut back any other activities and get all the rest that you can. Until you can retire, you might need to cut everything else out of your life except resting inbetween shifts.

And you might want to talk to an attorney about this to find out if you have any recourse. It looks like the job is trying to force you out early.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Can i be diagnosed while other conditions exist

Hi knotheadsrus!

I don't have CFS but I've had a fatiguing condition called Heart Failure for 32 years. In my case, in order to take a load off my heart and off my metabolism, I eat small meals and limit my intake of liquids. The digestion of foods and liquids take a lot of effort, so when someone, like me, gets easily fatigued and tired, eating a small meal diet and limited liquids helps to limit my fatigue.

In order for me to have a small meal diet, and get proper nourishment, I eat six small meals per day totaling about 1600 calories.

I do realize that you have a difficult work schedule and small, frequent small meals might not be possible.

Just thought that you could use this info.

Take care, best of luck and health! Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Reply