It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• Sick and Tired

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
    texjoann

texjoann HB User
    Sick and Tired

I have had a severe case of fatigue ever since I had back surgery in April. Within a week after surgery I got a strep throat, then a week later had something that seemed like food poisoning that made me throw up for 24 hours, nothing they gave me in ER stopped the vomiting so they admitted me and I was there for 3 days and they still could not find anything to be causing it.

Well since then I have been so tired I can barely get up and walk around. Last month I got a headache that would not go away despite taking imitrex which had always worked on migraines, but this time made me throw up and get worse headache. After being totally bedridden for 2 weeks, I finally made hubby take me to ER, because I got up to go to the bathroom and passed out in the floor. Did not even realize I had passed out until I came to. Have no idea how long I was out because I was here alone.

They did blood and urine tests, because I also felt like I had a kidney infection. Everything was normal they said, then figured the headache was caused by sinus infection and gave me augmentin, Entex, and phenagren.

Now I still have a weird feeling like a low humming type sensation in my head when I get up, sort of like the sound you get when you hold your head under water. Have some sinus related drainage, and sneezing, but my greatest problem is being tired and achy.

I can't go downstairs without getting out of breath and feeling like I am going to faint. I want to sleep all the time, my feet stay cold as ice, but my legs and back are aching from lying in the bed. I have been diagnosed in the past with fibromyalgia and was put on vicodin, but quit taking it a long time ago because it just made me sick. I have had mono three times in my 49 years( last time about 10 yrs ago), I have a kidney disease called glomerulonephritis, migraines, high blood pressure (contolled with meds) but even though I've had all this previously, I have never been this tired and sick. I am nauseated all the time. Sometimes all I can keep down is soup.

Previous to my surgery I took a lot of pain meds, but I stopped all of them several months ago. I thought they might be making me nauseated and tired. All I take for pain now is 2 aspirin when it is the worst.

I just feel like someone who has been run over by a truck or something. I've started taking centrum and also B6 and C since they help with cold and depression symptoms, even though I don't feel depressed. I just feel tired and nauseated.

What kind of Dr can you see? I've seen my primary care Dr. and also was worked up by Internal medicine when I was in the hospital. Since they couldn't figure out what was wrong they sent me home, just saying it could have been a kidney infectin, but didn't show on the tests.

I am really tired of feeling like this. I want to do things, but I can't even get around the house or cook. If I walk to my mailbox a half a block away, I start seeing spots in front of my eyes and panting, sweating, and feeling like I will pass out.

I've lost around 30 pounds in a month due to being nauseated and throwing up. The Dr's have no doubt of me being dehydrated and give me IV's but that's only temporary. And I drink a ton of water because I'm always thristy. I take a gallon of ice water with me to bed at night and drink it all between midnight and 5 a.m. and have to get more in the morning. I've been tested (blood test) for diabetes, so that's out too.

What does anyone suggest to be tested for? I had a bone scan done prior to my surgery and it showed excess calcium in my kidneys, but I got a blood test for that too and I guess it was normal because they didn't say anything else about it.

I did get a rash on my face across my cheeks and nose when I was sick this last time, when I passed out about two weeks ago, and they asked me how long I had it, and I said I didn't even know I had it.

I also had one of those epidurals about two months ago, because they nicked my sciatic nerve when I had the back surgery and had some major pain from that. But I have had bunches of those and never had any probelms from them.

I also have noticed that I am getting these hard lumps under my skin in different places like the fatty area of my upper arms, and my thighs.

My primary care Dr. doesn't really listen to all this, he looks at the computer at what labs and stuff is there, and barely even looks me in the face.

I just wonder if I might have picked up something in addition to the strep throat during my surgery. I felt fine that day and even went home within a few hours of surgery. But after that first week everything has gone downhill.

Now my 5 year old grandaughter who stays with me a lot came down with a sinus infection, and now she throws up all the time and has been having fevers of 104 and wants to lay around all the time for over a week now. Dr gave her antibiotics too, and novahist and said keep giving her tylenol. I wonder if she's getting what I have. I don't think its anything in our house, it is only three years old, we're the first owners, and I didn't get sick like this before, even in our old 30 yer old house.
    I don't smoke or drink alcohol.

Well if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

The following user gives a hug of support to texjoann:
    sthomas822 (04-28-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
    jc4bds

jc4bds HB User
    Arrow Re: Sick and Tired

Hey! I have Fibromyalgia and have had several severe episodes of vomiting,ER visits, and a lot of nausea. After going through several test with my GI MD, my rheumatologist and I discussed it after seeing my GI MD. He told me that a lot of Fibro patients have this and there is no definite cause. I am taking Prilosec BID and Zantac BID by MD order. It has stopped a lot of my nausea and I was also having heartburn and indigestion pretty bad. It gets especially worse if I'm exhausted. I know from researching Fibro that it can flare up after a traumatic experience to your body such as a car accident, child birth, or even surgery. I have the same tiredness that you described especially on a bad day. As far as the rash and lumps, you may want to be checked for Lupus also which has a lot of related symptoms to Fibro. I wish you the best. Please know that I'm praying for you. Keep us updated.

Last edited by jc4bds; 10-21-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
    Re: Sick and Tired

I also am tired and hurt all the time. I use to have trouble sleeping, now I can sleep for 10 hours and go right back to bed. I can't concentrate on even paying my bills because I'm in such a fog that it is an effort to even write out checks. I've been to doctor after doctor. One says I have Fibro another says I don't. They keep trying anti-depressants on me which make me more spacey. I refuse to take them anymore. My legs are in chronic pain, almost like a toothache pain. Yet so far, all my blood tests come up normal. VICADIN also made my stomach sick so I started taking Tramadol which seems to help quite a bit. This is supose to be a syntheic non narcotic form
    of codine, which does no upset your stomach. What gets me is these doctors do not want to give me anything for pain. I had a script for tramadol but then doctor did not want to refill it. I found it on the internet and have been buying it that way. Also I would not take any asprin. that is the wort thing you can do if you have stomach problems.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by texjoann
    I have had a severe case of fatigue ever since I had back surgery in April. Within a week after surgery I got a strep throat, then a week later had something that seemed like food poisoning that made me throw up for 24 hours, nothing they gave me in ER stopped the vomiting so they admitted me and I was there for 3 days and they still could not find anything to be causing it.

Well since then I have been so tired I can barely get up and walk around. Last month I got a headache that would not go away despite taking imitrex which had always worked on migraines, but this time made me throw up and get worse headache. After being totally bedridden for 2 weeks, I finally made hubby take me to ER, because I got up to go to the bathroom and passed out in the floor. Did not even realize I had passed out until I came to. Have no idea how long I was out because I was here alone.

They did blood and urine tests, because I also felt like I had a kidney infection. Everything was normal they said, then figured the headache was caused by sinus infection and gave me augmentin, Entex, and phenagren.

Now I still have a weird feeling like a low humming type sensation in my head when I get up, sort of like the sound you get when you hold your head under water. Have some sinus related drainage, and sneezing, but my greatest problem is being tired and achy.

I can't go downstairs without getting out of breath and feeling like I am going to faint. I want to sleep all the time, my feet stay cold as ice, but my legs and back are aching from lying in the bed. I have been diagnosed in the past with fibromyalgia and was put on vicodin, but quit taking it a long time ago because it just made me sick. I have had mono three times in my 49 years( last time about 10 yrs ago), I have a kidney disease called glomerulonephritis, migraines, high blood pressure (contolled with meds) but even though I've had all this previously, I have never been this tired and sick. I am nauseated all the time. Sometimes all I can keep down is soup.

Previous to my surgery I took a lot of pain meds, but I stopped all of them several months ago. I thought they might be making me nauseated and tired. All I take for pain now is 2 aspirin when it is the worst.

I just feel like someone who has been run over by a truck or something. I've started taking centrum and also B6 and C since they help with cold and depression symptoms, even though I don't feel depressed. I just feel tired and nauseated.

What kind of Dr can you see? I've seen my primary care Dr. and also was worked up by Internal medicine when I was in the hospital. Since they couldn't figure out what was wrong they sent me home, just saying it could have been a kidney infectin, but didn't show on the tests.

I am really tired of feeling like this. I want to do things, but I can't even get around the house or cook. If I walk to my mailbox a half a block away, I start seeing spots in front of my eyes and panting, sweating, and feeling like I will pass out.

I've lost around 30 pounds in a month due to being nauseated and throwing up. The Dr's have no doubt of me being dehydrated and give me IV's but that's only temporary. And I drink a ton of water because I'm always thristy. I take a gallon of ice water with me to bed at night and drink it all between midnight and 5 a.m. and have to get more in the morning. I've been tested (blood test) for diabetes, so that's out too.

What does anyone suggest to be tested for? I had a bone scan done prior to my surgery and it showed excess calcium in my kidneys, but I got a blood test for that too and I guess it was normal because they didn't say anything else about it.

I did get a rash on my face across my cheeks and nose when I was sick this last time, when I passed out about two weeks ago, and they asked me how long I had it, and I said I didn't even know I had it.

I also had one of those epidurals about two months ago, because they nicked my sciatic nerve when I had the back surgery and had some major pain from that. But I have had bunches of those and never had any probelms from them.

I also have noticed that I am getting these hard lumps under my skin in different places like the fatty area of my upper arms, and my thighs.

My primary care Dr. doesn't really listen to all this, he looks at the computer at what labs and stuff is there, and barely even looks me in the face.

I just wonder if I might have picked up something in addition to the strep throat during my surgery. I felt fine that day and even went home within a few hours of surgery. But after that first week everything has gone downhill.

Now my 5 year old grandaughter who stays with me a lot came down with a sinus infection, and now she throws up all the time and has been having fevers of 104 and wants to lay around all the time for over a week now. Dr gave her antibiotics too, and novahist and said keep giving her tylenol. I wonder if she's getting what I have. I don't think its anything in our house, it is only three years old, we're the first owners, and I didn't get sick like this before, even in our old 30 yer old house.
    I don't smoke or drink alcohol.

Well if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Sick and Tired

texjoann, I am sorry you have been so sick. I know it is frustrating trying to find out what is wrong. I suggest that you consider Lyme disease as a possible diagnosis. Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. It can cause many different symptomsl. It is the second fastest growing infectious disease in the US after AIDS, so it is very prevalent. Besides Lyme, ticks can tramsmit several co-infections. To me your symptoms sound like Lyme and possibly a co-infection.

Often a person may be infected for some time and their body is able to keep the infection at bay until their immune system becomes stressed in some way (accident, illness, divorce, etc). Then symptoms may emerge. When tickborne illnesses are a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. No test is completely reliable. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. There are only a handful of knowledgeable doctors in the country. Are you in TX?

For more information on Lyme disease and tickborne illnesses (including a symptom list) please read the "Lyme Disease Information" post on the Lyme disease board at this site.

Keep searching, you will find out what is wrong.

Closed Thread