It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

anyone with CFS tried antivirals or thyroxine?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
sleepyguy
(male)

sleepyguy HB User
anyone with CFS tried antivirals or thyroxine?

HI

Has anyone with CFS tried antivirals> If so did it help? ALso has anyone tried thyroxine T4 or T3 or both? Any help? Did it help your brainfog too>

Martin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 AM   #2
kiya
(female)

kiya HB User
Re: anyone with CFS tried antivirals or thyroxine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyguy
HI

Has anyone with CFS tried antivirals> If so did it help? ALso has anyone tried thyroxine T4 or T3 or both? Any help? Did it help your brainfog too>

Martin
I'm sorry to say I haven't. But then usually when doctors diagnose CFS they just prescribe antidepressants. I too would like to know if anyone has though and if there were of any help.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:01 AM   #3
peregrine
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
HI

Martin
One shouldn't take thyroid meds if they do not have thyroid problems, i.e. hyper or hypothyroid or have Hashimotos! However, many people with CFIDS are also hypo, but I would get the diagnosis first, which is easily done.

Last edited by peregrine; 01-07-2005 at 04:01 AM.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
sleepyguy
(male)

sleepyguy HB User

Yes but the point is that Dr Skinner has said that the results for thyroid tests are unpredictable. And TSH has got nothing to do with thyroid levels I read somewhere. There may also be a proble with thyroid receptors in CFS I read also (medical hypothesises De Meirleir et al).
There was a double blind placebo trial done on CFS patients with thyroxine which showed no improvement but they only used T4 and it was for 6 weeks only and I think maximum 100mcg

Skiiner did an open trial and his showed improvement apparently but his dosing was up to 300mcg a day.

Martin

Old 01-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
peregrine
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Yes but the point is that Dr Skinner has said that the results for thyroid tests are unpredictable. And TSH has got nothing to do with thyroid levels I read somewhere. There may also be a proble with thyroid receptors in CFS I read also (medical hypothesises De Meirleir et al).
There was a double blind placebo trial done on CFS patients with thyroxine which showed no improvement but they only used T4 and it was for 6 weeks only and I think maximum 100mcg

Skiiner did an open trial and his showed improvement apparently but his dosing was up to 300mcg a day.

Martin
I still maintain that you need to first determine if, indeed, you have a thyroid problem. The Thyroid gland is nothing to mess around with (nor thyroid meds). Check out the Thyroid board here for good information about thyroid tests and which ones to get.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
amgoingtoheal
(female)

amgoingtoheal HB User

I did antivirals and antibiotics at the same time for a month, and after the first week of hell, I felt terrific! It was like all the infections died off the first week, and after that somehow they detoxed out of my body (I also was eating no sugar, low carbs, and lots and lots of fruit & veggies at the time to help with detox). I definitely have to do that again, because I felt like it helped the most. I also was on different trials of thryoid meds, but I think I have a resistance to T4 or T3/T4, because too much and I sweat all the time, too little and Im a mummy. I'm still working out the details, need to find a good doc. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
amgoingtoheal
(female)

amgoingtoheal HB User

Sleepyguy-
Have you thought of seeing a doctor for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Also, get some tests done for Lyme Disease (labs have to be done at IgeneX in Northern California (from what Ive been told this is the only reputable place for real results).
Try taking a month of antivirals & antibilitics, I think you might have some infections going on..
Also, I know many people including myself have found incredible releif from brain fog, with ginsing. Go to your local Whole Foods Market, Wild Oats or health food store, and ask someone to help you pick out the best for your symptoms. It sure helps me get through the day. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
woozyguy
Inactive
(male)

woozyguy HB User

hi
Yeh thanks. I will get tested for Lyme then. I am feeling a bit better since taking this T3 for a few weeks now. I can actually get through a day's work now. If I exert myself too much though I feel the brain start to go funny though, but it is working better now than a few weeks ago. It can still go funny though on exertion and then when I rest it kind of dies down. It's strange I just dont get it. May be its a metabolic thing.
Martin

Old 04-23-2005, 05:22 AM   #9
MEMystery
(male)

MEMystery HB User
Smile Re: anyone with CFS tried antivirals or thyroxine?

Hello

I have had CFS/ME for a very long time but it was diagnosed only 3 years' ago. In October I started treatment under Dr Skinner and I can honestely say that the thyroid replacement therapy has helped. Symptoms of food intolerance, carpal tunnel syndrome, insomnia, IBS have all reduced drammatically and in the most part disappeared. I was taking thyroxine on its own for a while, 25 Ugms, then 50, up to 100 daily and then I read that a combination of thyroxine and Armour could be helpful (perhaps for ME patients). I have now been on a combination of 50Ugms Thyroxine and 1/2 grain of Armour since early January and one thing I have particularly noticed is a drop in fatigue but even more noticeably an ability to recover rapidy when I reach a severe fatigue level (due to severe exertion). I still have ME and the worst symptom is changing sight - I have a lot of difficulty focussing (both eyes) and my sight seems to change up and down daily so it is difficult to make any progress with sight tests.

It would be interesting to hear from folks who may have had similar experiences.

Ron

Old 04-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #10
peregrine
Inactive

peregrine HB User

So Ron,

Were you diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and/or Hashimotos? If not, you mean you were prescribed these drugs for CFIDS? I have both Hypo and Hashi and have taken Armour (for years) for those conditions. It addressed the Thyroid problems, but not my CFID symptoms. They are different. Maybe you could clarify.

Last edited by peregrine; 04-23-2005 at 06:22 AM.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #11
Jordi
(female)

Jordi HB User
Thumbs up Re: anyone with CFS tried antivirals or thyroxine?

HI Martin,
I am fairly new to this board, but I am interested in your topic. I just started seeing a doctor at the Fibro and Fatigue Clinic, and he is the first one to put me on Valtrex, which is for these viruses that lie dormant and crop up years later, causing symptoms that seemingly have no related illness. It has been a month, and I am starting to see improvement. This is my third 'good day' in a row and I think my last run of three or more was last summer. I was diagnosed 18+ months ago with Epstien-Barr, but treatment was limited to fighting the symptoms only until I found the Fatigue Clinic.
I do have a thyroid condition and was diagnosed with it over 6 years ago. My Synthroid (levo-thyroxine) has been adjusted several times, but I still tend to test in the low-normal range.

I am also on several types of supplements, but the doc says he will be taking me off the synthroid and replacing it with a "bio-identical" thryroid medication.
the synthroid just doesn't work for all people with this condition.

I can't say for sure what has caused me to be on my feet for a few days, and I'm not relying too heavily on my 'better-ness' since I've had a runs of good days in the past only to come crashing back down. I am hoping and praying for some permanent changes though, and I go back to the Fatigue Center next week for follow-up. It is a 4-hour drive, so I can only go once a month.
Jordi

Last edited by Administrator; 05-12-2005 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Commercial websites may not be posted.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
peregrine
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Suzette,

This is very interesting information. But why do they think CFIDS is related to a heart condition? I have had numerous EKG's and my heart is in A-one condition. Is this something that affects the heart but isn't testable? I will try to find the web site and read further.

I just perused the web site. Apparently the trials were done on only a small sample of patients, so are relatively inconslusive. I am still trying to research the case for mycoplasmas that can cause viral infections and that may be in the blood of CFIDS patients and thus possibly responsible for our symptoms.

Last edited by peregrine; 04-29-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
woozyguy
Inactive
(male)

woozyguy HB User

I also have been under Dr Skinner and have been on just T3. I think it helped my brain because I ran out of pills last week and I have been feeling more strange feelings again in my head. I dont know though. I tried a month of antibiotics from another doctor but stopped those as I didnt want to keep taking abx. Noone really knows what ME is still. Do you get brain symptoms MEMystery? Has the thyroxine helped those symptoms too or just the fatigue? I read a paper by Dr Meirleir in medical hypothesises where he says that people with ME have enough thyroxine being made but the thyroid receptors are blocked for some reason and so the thyroid hormone cant get through to the cells. Anyway I am getting some more T3 this week from Dr S coz he called me today about it. But then I also wonder whether ME has got anything to do with the thyrois as results are usually normal. There is apparently proof now that there is a vasculitis going on in ME and also oxidative stress.
Martin

Old 05-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
greyzak
(female)

greyzak HB User

Hi Peregrine,
Re: the studies being small. He has been doing studies for over 10 years. He has numerous studies showing the same thing, and they are all peer-reviewed and replicated. He also biopsied the hearts of the study participants. It showed viral infection in 100% of the cases, over and over again.

Just recently, Dr. Paul Cheney, considered the top CFIDS investigator in the world of CFIDS, has come out with the same information. He will be officially presenting his findings on June 18 at the National CFIDS conference.

I understand the hesitancy to believe that this affects an organ as important as our hearts, but it is treatable. As for the tests, I had EKGs, stress EKGs, etc and all was supposedly well. All the while, I was noticing symptoms that I kept attributing to anxiety. Just little things, like shortness of breath, a little pinch feeling near my heart sometimes. Trouble lying on my back or left side, couldn't breathe real well. When I saw Dr. Lerner he did another EKG, an echocardiogram and a Holter monitor. T-wave abnormalities showed up. Usually the person reading this will state that they are unspecified T-wave changes. And usually this doesn't mean much to a doctor who is not educated in this disease. But couple that with high titers of EBV, CMV etc and these are the 'markers' for viral induced cardiomyopathy.

I know that me telling you or anyone this doesn't mean much. But I wanted to pass along some info that is just becoming recognized as an important piece of the puzzle.

Very shortly there will be more information published and hopefully the new treatments will trickle down to our physicians and it will help a lot of people.

I hope everyone can keep an open mind until it becomes common knowledge in the medical field.

Greyzak

Old 05-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #15
peregrine
Inactive

peregrine HB User

That CFIDS is caused by a virus I do not doubt at all, but the nature of a virus is to be elusive and difficult to name. If someone has actually done this I say Bravo and will await the findings. What exactly is the treatment?

Closed Thread