It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• opportunistic fungal infection from mono

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #1
    Susannah
    (female)

Susannah HB User
    Lightbulb opportunistic fungal infection from mono

Well, I went to my doctor still complaining of symptoms from mono, which I was diagnosed w/ on May 30, but probably had had since the beginning of May. I was mostly better, but I still had swollen glands, really bad night sweats (these had been getting worse not better, I'd started waking up every 2-3 hours and sweated through the sheets), bumps in the muscle that weren't glands, and bumps right underneath the skin that she said were granulomas and didn't think could be from the mono. So, she said the grunulomas were probably hormonal, and said let's run some tests to see where you are in the course of mono.

So, she ran all the tests, and guess what? No signs of mono or EBV, not even of recent infection. Only one test showed antibodies, and this was well within the non-symptomatic range. So, I seemd to have fought off the mono effectively.

That was about two weeks ago. A couple of days ago I decided the tests should be back by now and called, and said fax the results. I was totally flabbergasted that I didn't still have mono, I mean I was still having symptoms. So, I got an appointment and asked first why she didn't call with the results, and she said they had all been normal, so when they're normal they don't call. I said, well, since they were normal that means I have something that isn't mono.

I'd done research and the most likely things I think I have are either blastomycosis or coccioidomycosis, which are fungal infections, which are opportunistic, people w/ AIDS get them a lot. I'd been in both Kentucky (blastomycosis is prevalent there) and Mexico (coccoidomycosis is prevalent there) while I'd had mono, so I had quite a chance to pick them up while my immune system was done. You get them just by breathing in the fungal spores, which are just out there in the air in these places. The doctor pretty much agreed with me based on the info I'd printed out, but didn't have any experience looking at treating this kind of stuff, so referred me to an infectious disease doctor. I got some Lamisil (an antifungal) in the meantime to see if it made any difference. I took some last night, and I feel so much better (not 100%, but greatly improved), and no night sweats! Just a slight heating up, but I can handle that.

Anyway, I thought some of you out there that have been sick for a while and it all started with mono might want to look into this. The Merck Manual online has some pretty good pages about systemic fungal infections (search for "merck manual systemic infections" in a search engine) if you are curious about the symptoms.

Also, if you've been sick for a while you might want to visit an infectious disease doctor to rule out an opportunistic infection or even a fungal infection. They have lots of experience w/ those since they treat people w/ AIDS, and a lot of the opportunistic infections are fungal. You know, having mono is almost like having AIDS for a short span. It really brings down your immune system since it attacks cells that are a part of your immune system (mono attacks the B Lymphocytes, which are the cells that "point out" diseased cells to the rest of the immune system for attack and clean-up). AIDS does kind of the same thing, it's just a different cell of the immune system it attacks (killer T lymphocytes). I guess you don't get over AIDS because the T lympocytes are the ones that actually do the killing, so it would be kind of like trying to send soldiers after ghosts that can take over their body. Your soldiers aren't just wiped out, their turned against you. Mono would be more like your look-out sentry was taken over, you wouldn't be as prepared to fight, but you still have your soldiers, so you can still fight.

Okay, enough with the analogies. Hope this helps some people!

Susannah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread