It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2003, 05:56 AM   #1
    loubilou583

loubilou583 HB User
    Unhappy Help!

I always seem to be tired. I am to sit down at home I will fall asleep all day and then sleep all night as well. I am perminently yawning and sleepy. I get grouchy.. it has been a problem for a while but I thought it was normal.. people call me lazy and I hate it. I haven't been to the doctor.

Lately I seem to be gasping for air and when I breath it doesn't feel like I am getting the air I need. I start to yawn and that doesn't help.. it is draining me and I want to know if anyone else has been through this. Please help me it is ruining my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 08:41 PM   #2
    michelle123

michelle123 HB User
    Hi Loubilou!
    I would reccomend to you to see a doc and get the full range of blood tests. It could be low iron, or a thyroid problem or something that will show up on the tests.
    Post an update! and goodluck
    mitch

Old 08-16-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
    keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling HB User
    Hi, Loubilou!

I agree that your first step is to see an MD. Speak frankly to him/her about your symptoms. If they doesn't seem receptive, find another one. Excessive sleepiness/fatigue is not normal, and you need to find a doctor who will listen to you.

I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome about 4 months ago. My symptoms were very similar to yours. Never feeling "refreshed" in the morning, even after sleeping 10-12 hours, falling asleep at the drop of a hat during the day, no energy to do anything, etc. The "brain fog" is awful, isn't it?

I highly recommend a book entitled "From Fatigued To Fantastic" by Dr. Jacob Tietelbaum. This was what put me on the road to finally being properly diagnosed.

CFS can have a multitude of causes. I have now been diagnosed with a form of narcolepsy, which includes excessive sleepiness during the day, inability to engage in normal activities due to fatigue, sleep apnea, etc. My hypothalamus is dysfunctional, causing irregular sleep patterns, low blood sugar, fatigue, low thyroid, low blood pressure, and adrenal gland dysfunction (glands that sit on top of your kidneys that help regulate blood pressure and release numerous hormones).

I am now on Provigil, a medication that targets certain areas of the hypothalamus to secrete hormones appropriately. It's been less than a week, but I can tell a huge difference already. I had almost forgotten what it was like to feel "awake" during the day.

I'm certainly not advocating that everyone with fatigue should be on this drug. But for me, my extreme fatigue appears to be related to hypothalamic dysfunction, and it seems to be working. My doctor is treating my anemia as a separate issue. And for the time being, I remain on Armour Thryoid medication.

Here is the basic blood tests that my doctor ordered when I first went to him:

~CBC (complete blood count)
    ~B12 level/Folate level
    ~Ferritin level (very important in diagnosing anemia)
    ~complete thyroid panel, including TSH, T4, & reverse T3
    ~serum glucose level
    ~BUN and creatinine (tests kidney function)
    ~liver panel (to rule out liver disease)
    ~complete electrolyte panel

All the best,

Cheryll

[This message has been edited by keeponsmiling (edited 08-17-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #4
    Golden Girl

Golden Girl HB User
    Loubilou583-

In 1989 I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse. I felt like when I breathed I couldn't get enough air into my lungs. Apparently there are many people that have this but are never diagnosed. Stress will sometimes bring on the symptoms - for me it was because my brother was dying. The Doctor can usually tell just my listening to your heart but also a test can be performed to verify it.

Closed Thread