It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• Might I ask what everyone's symptoms are?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
    Jitterygal
    (female)

Jitterygal HB User
    Might I ask what everyone's symptoms are?

I hope some of you don't mind listing your symptoms. I have been previously diagnosed with anxiety and have been taking Paxil for it, and am doing pretty well. But I was also positive for the Epstein Barr virus. I started out with a cold a year ago in Feb and just never felt like I got over it. I had chest tightness (not panic-like, more like congestion) and a sinus-like headache off and on for months...I also had weakness in the legs and arms. I finally got to feeling better, but now it's happening again, though not nearly as bad as the first time. I guess I am just curious about this disease. Also, what kind of doctor do you go to? I know my GP wouldn't diagnose it!!! Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
    Jitterygal
    (female)

Jitterygal HB User
    Help me please determine if I have CFS

Hi, I posted this because I really need to know what I'm dealing with... Can anyone please give me their symptoms and relate to what I am experiencing??? Thanks, Jitterygal

Old 06-06-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Might I ask what everyone's symptoms are?

I have had this off and on my whole life. My symptoms flare up after a bout of a virus of any kind. But here goes. My muscles ache like I have over exercised them, my nerve endings feel like some one has taken my arm and twisted the skin one way with one hand and the opposite direction with the other at the same time. When you touch certain areas of my skin it hurts and there are some times little lumps that are sore and then they go away to appear some where else. Massage helps sometimes and other times not. I am stiff every time I sit for more than 10 minutes when I get up to walk. As long as I keep moving I do not hurt so much. As for fatigue, it does not matter how much I sleep or how little I sleep, most of the time I am tired and sometimes more foggy than others. On a day of clear thinking I can go from one room to another without having to say out loud to myself what I am going there for., On a bad day I can not remember what I am doing for 5 minutes. I cope with this by talking to myself out loud. At work people used to laugh at me for talking to my self. I told them not to get concerned unless I started answering myself in the third person. But this is a grounding exercise that helps me push through the fog. I have learned that my diet contributes to the fogginess and for the most part I have learned to leave commerical bread products alone and eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables. Citrus products and green leafy vegetables without the croutons and without a creamy dressing work the best as well as lightly prepared other vegetables. A little bit of chicken and a good light fish work as well. I avoid fried foods unless impossible such as dinners I did not plan or serve, but when I do get stuck eating the menu, I have a flair up that puts me at home with symptoms of flu,. I run a fever of about 100.0-100.4 when these flair ups happen. It is a true bummer. I also think it is a combination disease with Fibromyalgia which I truly think is diet related allergies and immune system triggers.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
    Bothrops
    Senior Veteran

Bothrops HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jitterygal
    I hope some of you don't mind listing your symptoms. I have been previously diagnosed with anxiety and have been taking Paxil for it, and am doing pretty well. But I was also positive for the Epstein Barr virus. I started out with a cold a year ago in Feb and just never felt like I got over it. I had chest tightness (not panic-like, more like congestion) and a sinus-like headache off and on for months...I also had weakness in the legs and arms. I finally got to feeling better, but now it's happening again, though not nearly as bad as the first time. I guess I am just curious about this disease. Also, what kind of doctor do you go to? I know my GP wouldn't diagnose it!!! Thanks for any help you can give.
    Jitterygal,
    this is how I feel, I did just post this to another similr thread.

One day im fine and working 40 hours a week the next day I have a flu like nothing I have ever experianced. Basically this flu has lasted two years, well two on 6/24 at 9:45 am. Thats right, I know exactally when I died right down to the minute, a lot of people with CFIDS do. Fatigue is not even close to what I feel, complete exaustion is. Every part of my body is effected. As far as sleep, I dont. I call it half sleep, I never get a deep sleep. When I wake my legs ache in pain, joints and muscles. I feel cold all the time and burning as well yet except for that first week never run a fever, it rarly gets over 97! The sensations are numerous and debilitating. What started as tingling moved to buzzing and is know vibrating. My lowered blood pressure has resulted in 24/7 lightheaded and dizziness. My ears and nose are stuffed and has been since the beginning. My eyes are very screwed up, they dont track right and are light sensetive. My brain feels very foggy, I cant concentrate and forget where I am at, like being in a dream. When the weather is bad all of these symptoms increase and so does my urine output, around 13-14 times a day. I just recently found out this is quite common in CFIDS. Theres more but im tired of complaining about it.

You could very well have CFIDS and it frequently causes anxity. I did take paxil for several months and it really only helped my headaches, I guess.

I guess for a diagnosis of CFIDS you should see a ID Dr. a GP should be able to diagnose it. Many dont like to diagnose it because it is so broad, it is caused by so many things. They are still not certain if CFIDS does not cause a reactivation of herpes viruses or if the herpes viruses cause the CFIDS. They are slow in figuring it out because it is not killing us.

The worst thing about it is that no one has an answer. Just like Merimac said before me, alergies could be the cause. Why is it that some people have allergies and others dont? What is it that trigger a person to get allergies? There is obviosly some sort of weakness or problem that causes an allergy. It is diggin deep just not deep enough.

It is hard to get an answer on this board and there are not many regulars here. I think that is because no one has an answer. I can see you want answers, we all do.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
    Jitterygal
    (female)

Jitterygal HB User

Thank you both so much for sharing with me...I hope someone can find an answer to this disease...I am not sure what to think, because like I said, I really feel like I have a cold or flu that just won't go away...I wouldn't say that I feel horrible, I just don't feel like I used to, just sort of run down. Thanks again for responding...

Old 08-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
    joanne uk
    (female)

joanne uk HB User

hello jitterygirl I HAVE HAD M.E FOR 16YRS SYMPTONS VARY FROM PERSON TO ANOTHER ALSO THE ILLNES CAN CHANGE FORM OVER TIME, WITH ME IT STARED WHEN I HAD A VIRUS SEVERAL AT THE TIME I ALSO SUFFERED WITH BAD BOUTS OF TONSILITIS HAD THEM OUT EVENTUALLY QUITE LATE IN LIFE I WAS 28 THEN I NEVER GOT OVER THE FLU LIKE SYMPTONS AT FIRST I JUST NEVER FELT QUITE RIGHT AND GRADUALLY OVER MONTHS STARTED TO GET A LOT OF PROBLEMS AND VISITING THE DOC A LOT MORE THAN USUAL ABOUT 3 MONTHS AFTER COMING DOWN WITH ME I STARTED TO ITCH SEVERLY THEN IT WOULD GO FOR A WHILE THEN BACK AGAIN OVER YEARS IT DROVE ME INSANE I AM ALLERGIC TO EVERYTHING I AM NOW ON LONGLIFE MEDS FOR THE ITCHING I WILL LIST SOME SYMPTONS I HAVE UNUSUAL HEADACHES I WOULD OF SWORE IT WAS A BRAIN TUMOUR IF I DIDNT HAVE A MRI SCAN TO RULE OUT,TWO TONE RINGING IN THE EAR CLAPPING NOISES,MUSCLE ACHEA/PAINS,PINS/NEEDLES/BALANCE PROBLEMS/POOR CONCENTRATION/NERVE PAIN SEVERE COLD EXTREMETIES TO THE POINT IT HAS PUT ME IN SHOCK AND RUSHED TO A.E.LOW BLOOD PRESSURE/DIZZINESS/LOWOXYGEN LEVELS WHICH NEEDE EMERGENCY TREATMENT/ENLARGED LEFT PUPIL IN WHICH IS NORMALLY ONLY EVER SEEN ON AN ONCONCIOUS PERSON WHICH CAUSES A LOT OF VISUAL PROBLEMS/ITEMPERATUE INTOLERANCE HOT/COLD I ALWAYS BURNS MYSELF (NOT ALLOWED IN KITCHEN)BAK PROBLEMS AT PRESENT BEING INVESTIGATED/CANT WALK FAR AS FEET SWELL SEVERELY/SEVERE FATIGUE NO MATTER HOW SMALL A TASK/IBS SYNDROME/CONSTANT PAIN THERES MORE BUT I THINK IVE LISTED ENOUGH ITS A EVIL ILLNES THE HARDEST THING ABOUT IT ALL IS NOBODY CAN SEE HOW UNWELL WE ARE ALSO THERES NO TEST TO BACK US UP MOST RESULTS WILL COME BACK NORMAL OR A LEAST IT DID WITH ME THINGS ARE STARTING TO SHOW MORE NOW AS I THINK THE M.E IS TAKING ITS TOLL AFTER 16YRS.I REALLY HOPE THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH YOU AND HOPE NYOU GET BETTER MY GP DIAGNOSED ME AT FIRST THEN A SHRINK DID AS WELL SO ONE THING IM GLAD IS I AM NOTS CRACKERS YET JUST GET VERY DEPRESSED WHICH IS UNDERSTANABLE FOR ANY ONE OF US WITH THIS THING KEEP IN TOUCH AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE GRTTING ON HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON JOANNE U.K

Old 08-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
    Tzu
    (female)

Tzu HB User

I have had CFS/Fibro for years. For me I would say getting older has helped to improve things (I'm 51 now). My 30's were just the pits ... I literally slept them away. I have often wondered if our hormones make things worse because this past year I am going thorugh the change and although not better ... there is a certain improvement ... ie that brain fog is vastly improved thank goodness .. I hated that ... I have battled though with concentration for years ... some days my concentration is very good .. other days not very good .. but memory recall still bad .. but at least not that brain fog anymore. Still get sore muscles from slight exertion. I'm desperate to exercise because I know if I don't ... I'm just gonna get weaker and weaker as the years roll by. So I try to do some gentle exercise each day and go for a walk a couple of times a week. I have some sore joints which never seem to improve ... and an unusual sore throat on and off which in fact has come again today and usually stays for about three weeks... It is like an ache in the left side of my throat and down my neck (always on that side). It never turns into anything like full blown flu and I had thought up till now it was my thyroid .. which I am waiting to have an ultra sound done on for this reason .. but tonight I am wodnering if it is just a sore throat due to the CFS?? I have food allergies and bad migraines if I eat things like chocolate or cheese (dark chocolate being the worst as well as cheese) .. sometimes sausages will trigger it too .. then I am bed riddenn for about three days in agony. I have hives also ... wake up most days with these rashes in various places ... they itch like hell for a few hours then fade off by the end of the day. And lately I have developed pain in my feet when I get up on them after being sat or lying down ... hurts for a few steps then eases (dunno if that is a CFS symptom ... but it started about two months ago and is not getting better) ... I also feel stiff when I'm not moving around with general pain all over ... particularly in my back ... the muscles keep seizing up and have to get hubby to massage for me ...if I keep moving ... it helps ... but with CFS ... who can keep moving all the time ... but sitting is agony ... I am most comfortable lying down .. but can't do too much of that because you just get weak. Also if I get flu ... I get really sick with bronchitis also and usually take about 4 weeks to get better. This illness has really created havoc with my life ... I use to be very active ... but a severe bad bout of stress in my 20's seems to have triggered this and I have battled ever since (I did test positive Epstein Bar and a couple of others a number of years back) ... also have IBS and lots of digestive problems ... yet endoscopies and colonoscopies show nothing ... On a positive note ... it was on the news the other day here in Britain ... that scientists have discovered something that may give a clue to what causes CFS ... and could have a cure in the future ... one thing that has come out lately is that CFS is not all in the mind as many docs felt it was. Lastly ... I do have anxiety and am quite a tense stressful personality ... so I went onto antidepressants to see if calming me down would help my health and I feel they have ... so I remain on them for now ... One other thing ... I mentioned to my doc recently that I had positive tests to EPV etc ... he was not too concerned and just said "they would have burned themselves out by now" ... he is not a CFS doc ... and I do wonder if this is the case with those viruses??

Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
    fuzzymuzzy
    (female)

fuzzymuzzy HB User

Hi, I have recently been dx with CFS and I have found it really hard to come to terms with as there are so many symptons...you think your going mad!!

Mine started about 5 years ago but I didnt or havent had any viral problems so not sure why it happened. Mine started with pain in my eye and blurring which I still get on and off. I then went through a spat of having numbness/tingling in my arms and legs which my GP said was a trapped nerve or RSI but as soon as they came they kinda went pretty quick. Then came the falling over stunts and the dizzyness like being drunk anyway silly little thing started happening but like I said I kind of got over them and carried on (no problems) untill November of last year things went from good to worse after loads of tests for possible MS which came back negative my Neuro Doctor decided it was CFS not sure if it is a correct diagnosis or not? as I dont sleep or have fatique as much as some of the others, although I do feel as if i have ran into a wall and my body just cant cope (if that makes any sense?).

I have been prescribed Selegiline which have stopped the electric shocks down my legs every night, but apart from that I dont think I have noticed much difference in my self neither have my family. I suffer terribly with the heat as well when it is hot I may as well just give-up as the legs give way,eyes blurr over and funny tingling sensations happen. Have to be careful when I have a bath as well!!! oh joy....Still I try and remain postive that this little relaspe that came in November will soon disappear as quick as it came....fingers crossed

I hope you feel better soon and get some answers

bye for now

Old 08-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
    Highlandgirl11
    (female)

Highlandgirl11 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bothrops
    Jitterygal,
    this is how I feel, I did just post this to another similr thread.

One day im fine and working 40 hours a week the next day I have a flu like nothing I have ever experianced. Basically this flu has lasted two years, well two on 6/24 at 9:45 am. Thats right, I know exactally when I died right down to the minute, a lot of people with CFIDS do. Fatigue is not even close to what I feel, complete exaustion is. Every part of my body is effected. As far as sleep, I dont. I call it half sleep, I never get a deep sleep. When I wake my legs ache in pain, joints and muscles. I feel cold all the time and burning as well yet except for that first week never run a fever, it rarly gets over 97! The sensations are numerous and debilitating. What started as tingling moved to buzzing and is know vibrating. My lowered blood pressure has resulted in 24/7 lightheaded and dizziness. My ears and nose are stuffed and has been since the beginning. My eyes are very screwed up, they dont track right and are light sen****ve. My brain feels very foggy, I cant concentrate and forget where I am at, like being in a dream. When the weather is bad all of these symptoms increase and so does my urine output, around 13-14 times a day. I just recently found out this is quite common in CFIDS. Theres more but im tired of complaining about it.

You could very well have CFIDS and it frequently causes anxity. I did take paxil for several months and it really only helped my headaches, I guess.

I guess for a diagnosis of CFIDS you should see a ID Dr. a GP should be able to diagnose it. Many dont like to diagnose it because it is so broad, it is caused by so many things. They are still not certain if CFIDS does not cause a reactivation of herpes viruses or if the herpes viruses cause the CFIDS. They are slow in figuring it out because it is not killing us.

The worst thing about it is that no one has an answer. Just like Merimac said before me, alergies could be the cause. Why is it that some people have allergies and others dont? What is it that trigger a person to get allergies? There is obviosly some sort of weakness or problem that causes an allergy. It is diggin deep just not deep enough.

It is hard to get an answer on this board and there are not many regulars here. I think that is because no one has an answer. I can see you want answers, we all do.

Last edited by Highlandgirl11; 08-13-2005 at 10:32 PM. Reason: I didn't write this

Old 08-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
    Kali M
    Veteran
    (female)

Kali M HB User

Highlandgirl11,

Hello and welcome! I'm a little confused (and it may just be because you're new - but that's OKAY!).

Did you copy Bothrops comment because your symptoms are similar? Keep posting. Always interested in hearing from more folks.

Kali

Closed Thread