It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• I am going insane..everyone acts like my chronic mono is no big deal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User
    Unhappy I am going insane..everyone acts like my chronic mono is no big deal

I have had mononucleosis/EBV for over a year now. I have also had it in the past, but it had always "cleared up". But for the last year I have had such bad fatigue I have had to temporarily drop out of college (who knows when I will be able to return?) and my doctors just don't seem to understand. Everytime my blood tests come back positive again, they call and say to "Rest the incrase fluids". I just want to scream what the **** do you think I have been doing for a year!!! I hardly even leave the house anymore and am so depressed and I feel like I will never get better.
    Is chronic mono the same as CFS? Or does it develope into CFS? I don't even go to the doctor anymore because whats the point? It will just come back positive and my doctor will just agian tell me to rest..and doesn't seem to understand that I am so tired sometimes I don't even shower in the morning. (I have seem 3 different doctors and they all have the same attitue..nice but unable to grasp what I am going through). The last time I went he seemed surprised that I would "Drop out of college" due to mono because quote "it won't kill you, just keep living your life."
    I also suffer from bulimia which I know doesn't help but I am so depressed about my life that bulimia is the only thing that makes me happy anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: I am going insane..everyone acts like my chronic mono is no big deal

I know that you are using Bulimia as a survival technique so I will not try to lecture you about it. However, If you have mono, and you are bulimic, your doctors may not be getting all the right information they need in your lab work. As you well know, bulimia has its own negative side effects. One of these is that it will eventually wreck your immune system which will make you vulnerable to all viruses. Also have your doctor check you for the candida fungus. It will also cause enough symptoms by itself to qualify you for the looney bin. Good luck

Old 06-27-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
    Musclesnjoints
    Inactive

Musclesnjoints HB User

You sound like an excellent candidate for Dr. Jack Teitelbaum in Annapolis, MD. He is expensive but he knows what he is doing. If you can't afford him perhaps you should check out * ( - removed - ) *

Good Luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 06-27-2005 at 08:59 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 06-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
    Musclesnjoints
    Inactive

Musclesnjoints HB User

Oops I put in a web address and should have put in the name of the clinic. It is Fibro and Fatigue clinic.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

I told my one doctor about the bulimia. All my labs are normal except for the mono....ALL of them. As strange as it sounds, I was as "healthy as a horse" as a bulimic before I got mono.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #6
    Rosalind
    (female)

Rosalind HB User

i am 17 and have had chronic fatigue for 2 years, after getting glandular fever. i can totally understand what you are going through its the pits i know. Being told to get on with things, is the most heartbraking thing to hear when you know you are ill. I have also had to drop out of college because i just couldnt cope with it all. Even on a a part time timetable it all got too much.
    I really really do feel you need find a doctor who knows what you are going through, they do exist, believe me they do. I had to push to get seen by a doctor who knew what he was talking about, and one who understood what i was feeling. My GP was absolute **** , they turned me away again and again saying there was nothing wrong that its nothing serious. Serious no, but they also seemed to miss the point that it is totally and utterly soul destroying. Evetually i got refered to a doctor at a childrens hospital who knew what he was talking about. He confirmed i had chronic fatigue. He had many other patients with chronic fatigue, and so knew all the symptoms and the best course of action. Since visisting this doctor things have improved, and more importantly my mental approach to things has imroved. As for treatment, there is very little you can do medically. There is no cure, BUT there is alot of things you can do to try and help. I visit a local homeopath, which i can honestly say has helped a great deal. I have trained myself to pace everything i do.
    As for college, i have had to foget about returning FOR NOW. I emphasise on for now. I have just had to put things on hold. It does not mean its all over, rather its just it hasnt begun yet. I have been looking in to home study courses, which is always an option. Then you are under no pressure to study for long periods of time, but are still achieving something. All my friends are out getting good grades in college, passing driving tests, talking about university, getting jobs etc etc, and i feel a complete failiure alot of the time, im absolutely desperate to get on with my life, but i just have to take it one step at a time.
    Im sorry this is so long, it is my first post. I hope it is some help/comfort. Id like to stay in touch so ill keep an eye on this thread. PLease feel free to email me if you wish. I hope things get better for you, i really do. Rosalind -x-

Last edited by Rosalind; 08-07-2005 at 11:12 AM.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
    cindy louise
    (female)

cindy louise HB User
    Lightbulb Re: I am going insane..everyone acts like my chronic mono is no big deal

you have CFS and bulimia and thats why you feel so rotten. why Not quit the laxatives and start a Vitamin regimen. Vit. Ester C, B-100's, Vit. E, zinc, potassium, some Ginseng and Dong Quai herbs and any other vitamins and minerals, in recommended dosages. get some EXERCISE!!! get MOTIVATED.

Good Luck

Old 08-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

Cindy louise-
    I DO Take a ton of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antixoidants, and potassium. What do you mean about the laxatives?? I have to take citracel for my IBS...people with IBS must take a bulk forming laxative. I don't take it for weight control.
    I do exercise 3-4 times a week.
    And I am motivated. But I am also sick.

Old 08-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
    Kali M
    Veteran
    (female)

Kali M HB User

Hey Natasha. I've been wondering if you were doing okay.

It's difficult sometimes for people (and this definitely includes healthcare providers) to get beyond the problems that are obvious. For you, this means the bulimia (though, I thought you said in a string that you were not purging anymore). Certainly bulimia (whether through throwing up or through laxatives) can cause fatigue and can leave you compromised and at risk for other problems. I've thought about you often and how it must be difficult to have docs look beyond the eating disorder and believe you that you truly do have something else going on. As we all unfortunately know, it's difficult enough just getting docs to believe that we're sick even when we don't have any specific problem or illness that's so easily identifiable.

I don't think CL meant to sound condescending or meant to say anything hurtful. I think she's just trying to point out the effect that bulimia can have on your health (which I suspect you're already an expert on at this point - as most bulimics tend to read about bulimia and anorexia quite a bit). CL is certainly right in that if you are actively bulimic, it may be of great benefit to you to quit the behavior - but we all know it's not that easy. And if you do have CFS (which it certainly sounds like you do), then you still may not be completely well.

What new news do you have? Any more doc visits? Any progress? Any good weeks? Bad weeks? Hope you're hanging in there and doing okay.

Kali

Old 08-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #10
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

Hey Kali-

I have been doing better. I have good days and bad. I had a physical about 3 weeks-a month ago, and I tested postive for mono/EBV again. But that doctor says that it looks like the "mono is moving into the past rather than the futre." You are right, I am an expert on bulimia...as most bulimics are. It is frustrating when people (not you!) tell you just to stop it and you will feel better. I truly feel bulimia is an addiction no different than drugs or alcohol. Even with professional help, I have been unable to beat it. I have stopped for long periods of time and then started again, and I know it is wrecking havoc (sp?) on my body and not helping my mono, but I, and most bulimic's, cling to their disorder as if it was their oldest and best friend (which in many cases it is) and their worst enemy as well. I feel lost and bereft without bulimia, which is impossible for non-bulimics to fully understand.
    BUT, I did start developing the chronic fatigue around age 16 when I was not bulimic (in fact had been recovered for a full year) so while I know the bulimia ADDS to the mono/fatigue problems, I do not believe it is my bulimia that has caused the mono.
    In case Cindy Louise reads this- I didn't mean to sound harsh, but you post DID sound condescending to me. I know I feel rotten because I have CFS and bulimia, and your stating the obvious sounded redundant and annoyed me a little (I know you didn't mean it that way). And the fact is I AM motivated to get better! I am eating well, taking lots of vitamins, and exercising, I read a ton and try to keep my mind well and focused, but I still have the desire to and often do binge & purge (bulimia) at night, and nothing has even helped me to stop. I am just very frustrated because since age 13, I have been sick with something or another, and I am growing into an adult (well, at 22 I am technically an adult,but sometimes I still feel like a kid) who needs and wants to be independant and my health problems are precluding this.

THANKS TO ALL, esp. Kali for their concern! I do appreciate it!!

Old 08-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #11
    Kali M
    Veteran
    (female)

Kali M HB User

Hey Natasha,

Nice to hear from you again!

I've often heard it explained that eating disorders are addictions, but are different from alcohol or drugs because you don't HAVE to use alcohol or drugs (normally) to exist. We ALL have to eat; and eating so often sets a bulimic/anorexic off on that wild ride. It sounds like you've come a long way though! ESPECIALLY if you've been able to do without the bulimia for even a full year. That's a big accomplishment. I know it must be much more difficult, though, with having CFS on top of everything. I know the exhaustion and frustrations of CFS and you just feel like one-quarter of a person sometimes (if that much). I can understand how you would revert to something "familiar" when everything else (your health) seems totally out of your hands. But, knowing that you've been able to kick it once, I hope you've either continued counseling for it, or found another counselor. Don't give up on yourself! I think we (CFSers) all need a counselor (but one that BELIEVES us when we way there is proof that this is a PHYSICAL (organic) disorder (as opposed to pyschosomatic) . It just seems so tough sometimes.

That's good news that the EBV load is decreasing. I don't know a lot about this, so I'm not sure how low it has to go until we don't feel it affecting us anylonger. (My IgG's - long term antibodies - for EBV were very elevated as well and I've had many symptoms of it).

Natasha, are you in an area that's large enough to have a support group for CFIDS & FM? I went to a support group recently. Don't know if it was something I want to continue or not. There were some folks pretty bad-off there and that was depressing. But they were good people; and some of them have been living with this for years (like you have). They certainly have good resources.

Keep in touch. Starting next Monday I'll be online less (as school will have started again). But, I'll try to keep an eye out for you here. Stay strong; you're tough gal!

Kali

Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
    NatashaW
    Inactive
    (female)

NatashaW HB User

Kali-
    You're an angel Your genuine concern for me and for others is so touching. I hope you will check in now and then and we can keep in touch. I feel bad that I don't know much about you. DO you have CFS?? What's your situation?? BEST OF LUCK AT SCHOOL. My classes don't start until the end of September and I probably won't be checking in as often after that. It will be my first quarter back in almost 6 months. I am going to take it slow and only take 1 class on campus and then 1 internet class I can take at home.

Take care

Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #13
    Kali M
    Veteran
    (female)

Kali M HB User

Thanks for the sweet words. I definitely do care. Just wish I had more time these days to be here.

That's WONDERFUL that you're starting school again, and I think you're doing it the right way by taking just one class on campus and 1 at home. Hang in there. Be sure to treat yourself really good so the classes aren't too much of a stress and strain. Glad to see you're doing this but in a smart way (and not taking a full load all at once).

Kali

Closed Thread