It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• No one gives me a clear diagnosis, i really need help and feedback

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
    KALO2
    (male)

KALO2 HB User
    No one gives me a clear diagnosis, i really need help and feedback

Hi there i have been diagnosed by one doctor with depression, i have had loads of blood tests everything has come back negative. Its taking over my life

I cant get on with my life, the symptoms i have are as follow, i would appreicate feedback;

Dizzyness
    Things seem dark
    Constipation, i have to take laxitives evernight.
    Not great sleep, but has improved, I sleep about 6-8hours a night, sometimes is refreshing, sometimes isnt.
    Slight Numbness in hands and feet
    Slow in the morning
    Tight Jaw
    Tight back and joints..but no pain.
    No energy or zest
    Low sex drive
    Not great concentration.
    My mood is good when i feel physically ok
    I am 25 years old BTW

Please can people tell me what they think it is?

I dont know where to turn.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
    Kali M
    Veteran
    (female)

Kali M HB User
    Re: No one gives me a clear diagnosis, i really need help and feedback

Kalo,

How long have these symptoms been going on?

Have you had depression before? Do YOU feel like the cause may be depression? Not necessarily all the time, but many times, when people are depressed they KNOW they're depressed. Did the doc put you on antidepressants? Have you been on them for at least 4-6 weeks? If so, how are things going?

So many times depression is just an easy diagnosis for something they can't quite figure out, so they just figure it MUST be depression. I guess providers figure they know everything so why not go ahead and diagnosis you, since they don't immediately have any other answer.

Do you have fatigue in addition to the dizziness? Is it exhausting fatigue?

Hypothyroidism could definitely be causing these symptoms! "Normal" thyroid tests do not necessarily mean you don't have mild hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's disease. Do you have your thyroid labs handy? Post them here or on the thyroid board for responses.

Some hormonal imbalances (i.e. DHEA, testosterone, growth deficiency, etc. can also cause these symptoms you've listed).

What other labs were done? Any viral tests? (EBV, CMV, Hepatitis panels, HH6, etc?).

Do you feel like posting any of the labs you had done? Might help in figuring out where you can go from here.

Hang in there! I think we all know how you feel about getting on with your life! We're with you on that one.

Kali

Old 08-23-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
    KALO2
    (male)

KALO2 HB User

Hi Kali

I have had every test done. Including the 'Mono spot' They all came back negative. I have asked for another set of tests to be done yesterday.

I havent taken Anti-depressents before, i really dont want to.

Also the fatigue i have is like oppressing fatigue. The thing is last week i had four day where i felt i was getting better, and started to feel elated, thinking it was finally over. Then the next day i woke i felt like quite groggy, and then i became constiapated. This of course made me tired, and i felt i couldnt do much.

I really confused as to what to do.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
    Kali M
    Veteran
    (female)

Kali M HB User

Kalo,

That sounds more like chronic fatigue and immune deficiency syndrome. And BTW, a mono spot is not the same thing as a blood test for Epstein Barr Virus. A mono spot is a quick result test, done in about 2-5 minutes, but without a high level of accuracy. It can give false-negatives (IOW - you have mono, but the mono spot comes back negative). Regardless, a mono spot would test for an acute infection (one you recently caught). Most folks catch mono when they're in their teens. A reactivation of Epstein Barr, or significantly elevated levels of IgG antibodies (the antibodies you acquire a long time after you've been exposed to something) would indicate a reduced immune system.

What choices do you have on doctors? Could you find someone who has knowledge of CFIDS? (Typically these folks tend to be a little more open-minded and often believe in using complementary medicine). Do you have a massage therapist or a physical therapist or a nurse who might give you some insight as to local choices?

You might try to pick up a book on CFIDS at the bookstore or library. There are several very good ones. I like David Bell's "The doctor's guide to Chronic fatigue syndrome" and Mary Shomon's "Living well with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia." If you read one of these you may find even more symptoms that correspond (which you've been trying to play off as "just getting older," etc.).

Any hypothyroidism run in your family. Unless you tell me your TSH was between 1 & 1.5, and your Free T4 and Free T3 were in the upper 1/3 range of "normal", I'm not convinced that thyroid isn't involved!

Hang in there!

K

Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 AM   #5
    kiya
    (female)

kiya HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KALO2
    Hi there i have been diagnosed by one doctor with depression, i have had loads of blood tests everything has come back negative. Its taking over my life

I cant get on with my life, the symptoms i have are as follow, i would appreicate feedback;

Dizzyness
    Things seem dark
    Constipation, i have to take laxitives evernight.
    Not great sleep, but has improved, I sleep about 6-8hours a night, sometimes is refreshing, sometimes isnt.
    Slight Numbness in hands and feet
    Slow in the morning
    Tight Jaw
    Tight back and joints..but no pain.
    No energy or zest
    Low sex drive
    Not great concentration.
    My mood is good when i feel physically ok
    I am 25 years old BTW

Please can people tell me what they think it is?

I dont know where to turn.
    I can only give my personal, non-medical opinion... I would think that it is worth trying antidepressants because of your poor sleep, low sex drive, lack of energy and concentration. The only thing that makes me think it's not purely depression is that you say your mood is better when you feel ok, which suggests a physical cause for any depression you may have, rather than the other way around.

It is worth staying positive about any refreshing sleep you may be able to get - that's good.

Regarding the constipation - is that something you've always had or a recent change? Because any change in bowel habit should be discussed with your doctor.

I agree with Kali regarding "negative" blood results. Even with a blood test for mono, it doesn't always pick it up. Thyroid blood tests are also contentious.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:43 AM   #6
    KALO2
    (male)

KALO2 HB User

Hi and thanks for your replys.

To Kiya, The constipation has only come recently, since i have been ill, about 4 Months.

Apparently every blood test done has been done. I really dont know how to obtain the test results and i dont understant. But according to my doctor my throidy function is spot on. What ever that means.

What do you mean Immune defiency?

I dont know where to find a CFIDS doctor in england? Does anyone know?

Btw this started after i had a bout of flu. The symptoms of the flu never went away until i started taking St Johns wort, if that means anything.

Last edited by KALO2; 08-24-2005 at 04:50 AM.

Closed Thread