It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 212
Postie HB User

Has anyone been to an Immunologist? I have CFS and was wondering what do they do? I don't know anything about them. Also can anyone just go or do you have to go through your doctor?


Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: montreal, canada
Posts: 12
prussianblue HB User
Re: Immunologist??

Hi Postie,
An immunologist specializes in allergies, asthma, etc. I saw one a year or so ago - refered by my gp - and he confirmed that I have a series of food and chemical intolerances, skin rashes, adverse drug reactions, etc. All he could advise me was to stay away from these things.
But it was the rheumatologist who diagnosed the CFS. Even though CFS is an immune sysem disorder, it is so close in symptoms to fibro, lupus, etc, that it is the rheumie who concludes CFS after he rules out the others.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 212
Postie HB User
Re: Immunologist??

You had better luck than me. My rheumy said he doesn't deal with CFS and he doesn't know much about it so I know an Immunologist--when I read about them deal with skin rashes, and he could probably tell me what my rash is and it also says they deal with lupus. So that's why I was wondering. I have been to two rheumy's and neither one know anything about CFS so that's not going to work for me.


Old 06-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 146
CDS75 HB User
Re: Immunologist??

It can't hurt. If u can afford it, go to as many doctors as u can. Maybe one of them will find an answer for u.

Rheumatologists - most are a joke. Mine is supposedly "nationally renowned" but he is a jerk! He told me I had fibromyalgia and CFS, but he doesn't treat such severe cases! What good is he?

I have been seeing a CFS specialist for a few years. I don't know how much better he is doing with my case. Of course he doesn't even blink when writing the prescriptions I need. I know some of you have a horrible time getting pain meds!

I have considered an Infectious disease specialist. I think I am going to talk to my gp about it. I, also, have been considering allergy testing. I am getting to the point where ANYTHING might help.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Immunologist?? Postie Lupus 0 06-17-2008 01:17 PM
any experience with neurontin or immunologist? shabbyanne Fibromyalgia 9 03-25-2007 09:22 PM
Should I see an immunologist, and how do I find one? PatNJ Immune Disorders 52 08-05-2005 09:42 AM
Immunologist or Rheumatologist? readingteacher Immune Disorders 9 08-27-2004 01:11 PM
immunologist or rheumatologist??? desertwinds Immune Disorders 1 07-30-2002 07:05 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!