It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• Chronic fatigue and insulin resistance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
    franklin2
    (male)

franklin2 HB User
    Chronic fatigue and insulin resistance

Hi there! I have had chronic fatigue for over 2.5 years and as I'm sure is the same with the rest of you, have had no luck in finding adequate treatment. My symptoms are daily fatigue, unrefreshing sleep, pain (especially in sinuses), and general malaise. My worst symptom is post-exertional malaise - I feel awful after any type of exertion. All the lab tests come back normal and the only treatments provided are anti-depressants, limited exercise, etc.

Here is the question: does anyone else who has CFS also have insulin resistance? Does anyone know of any link? Can insulin resistance cause chronic fatigue? Can insulin resistance cause post-exertional malaise and fatigue?

I was diagnosed in 2002 with insulin resistance and am curious if it is linked to CFS. Both are linked to mitochondrial dysfunction. Please share your thoughts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
    captjane
    Inactive
    (female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
    Re: Chronic fatigue and insulin resistance

Quote:
    Originally Posted by franklin2 View Post
    Does anyone know of any link? Can insulin resistance cause chronic fatigue?
    yes

Quote:
    Can insulin resistance cause post-exertional malaise and fatigue?
    yes

If you were diagnosed in 2002 and your fatigue has become worse then you may have progressed to diabetes. Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of insulin resistance and diabetes because it affects how well glucose gets into the cells to provide energy

Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
    franklin2
    (male)

franklin2 HB User

Thanks for replying. My fasting blood glucose is within the normal range around 90, so doctors do not think it's diabetes. But, a person can have normal fasting blood glucose and still be insulin resistant. For example, when I was diagnosed, I had normal fasting glucose and A1C, but a glucose tolerance test indicated very high insulin levels. I took metformin for five years then went off of it because I was exercising enough. But since I've had chronic fatigue I've put on 40 pounds.

So in sum, I don't think I have progressed to full diabetes, but I think my insulin resistance is still in full swing. Do you think just the insulin resistance can be linked with fatigue? Has anyone else had this experience?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
    franklin2
    (male)

franklin2 HB User

Thanks for replying. My fasting blood glucose is within the normal range around 90, so doctors do not think it's diabetes. But, a person can have normal fasting blood glucose and still be insulin resistant. For example, when I was diagnosed, I had normal fasting glucose and A1C, but a glucose tolerance test indicated very high insulin levels. I took metformin for five years then went off of it because I was exercising enough. But since I've had chronic fatigue I've put on 40 pounds.

So in sum, I don't think I have progressed to full diabetes, but I think my insulin resistance is still in full swing. Do you think just the insulin resistance can be linked with fatigue? Has anyone else had this experience?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
    captjane
    Inactive
    (female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Quote:
    Do you think just the insulin resistance can be linked with fatigue? Has anyone else had this experience?
    yes, I've had extreme fatigue with it. With insulin resistance your body is not able to efficiently get glucose into the cells for energy so the glucose is there but your body can not use it as effectively

Closed Thread