It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• YEARS of FATIGUE, adrenal exhaustion, 26/f, constant napping and oversleeping HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
    ekranger
    (female)

ekranger HB User
    YEARS of FATIGUE, adrenal exhaustion, 26/f, constant napping and oversleeping HELP

Ok so.. I've had some symptoms over the past few years and whenever I go to the doctor there never seems to be an explanation for much, so I appreciate any input because I am at a loss.

Lets start with the basics. I am a 26 year old non-smoking female. I do not drink alcohol, wine, or caffeine, with the exception of an alcoholic drink on my birthday.

From 12-15 I had anxiety-induced IBS symptoms. Had an upper GI exam done and they found nothing abnormal. These days I'm nausea frequently and can't eat a lot in one sitting or I will barf.

I developed moderate psoriasis at 15. Since 19 it has been very mild and does not interfere with my everyday life.

From 12-23 I had painful TMJ in my jaw - I finally had corrective jaw surgery at 23 and have had no jaw issues since.

At 23 I had mononucleosis (verified positive by blood test) and had it for about 2 months before I felt bad to normal.

But since age 19 I've have been EXTREMELY fatigued, always tired, joint and muscle pain, frequent anxiety, feel physically weak a lot of the time, nauseous, brain fog, poor concentration (I'm going on my 7th year of being in college, the past 5 years I've been a part time student and part time employee because I cannot mentally or physically keep up).

I need to sleep at least 8-9 hours a night and most days I end up taking a 3-4 hour nap. If I don't allow myself to nap I will get a headache. I've tried multiple anti-depressants, probably 10 by now and they did not help. I'm a healthy eater, have variety in my diet, drink sufficient water, and I'll treat myself once in a while. I'm physically fit compared to most and have only about 20% body fat. I do some weight training at home when I feel up for it but aerobic activity causes me stress that I give up after usually 5-10 minutes. From time to time my words are slurred, charley horse cramps in my calfs at night, and am VERY sensitive to cold, especially my legs, although we live in Florida. I had an ultrasound on my legs, no clots.

I have also been very susceptible to UTI's. In 2012 I had 6 UTI's averaging one every two months but in 2013 I had only one. My husband and I pee before and after sex and are always fresh and *clean* so hygiene is not an issue. Saw a urologist who did an ultrasound of my bladder: normal. And when it comes to alcohol or even wine, I feel toxic after just two drinks. Toxic, not even tipsy. I do not feel better after drinking water or eating.

The last time I had blood work one of the abnormal things found was my CRP level. My CRP levels came in at 10x the max risk at 32.9 mg/L indicating "obvious source of infection or inflammation". A few other things were borderline but the doc said everything is "normal". This blood test had been one year since I recovered from mono.

Another doctor noticed that I had deficient testosterone levels (for a female!), and said it could contribute to the fatigue but not necessarily. I used a LOW DOSE testosterone rx cream daily for 5 months which boosted my testosterone level to a normal female level (and I did NOT grow a mustache! lol). But I did not feel better. This doctor also checked my thyroid and said levels came back normal. He said I may have adrenal fatigue (saliva kit was slightly off) but did not order any other tests or treatment.

My life has gotten to a point where it's difficult to enjoy things because I do not have the energy to get much done. Yes my house is clean, and my homework gets done eventually, but I had to quit working just to focus on finishing school and because I can hardly get through a day without napping. It's gotten that ridiculous. My husband doesn't understand and my friends say that I'm just lazy... that really hurts me.

It's getting back to that time of the year when I go for a routine physical and blood work, and I don't know what to tell my doctor other than I still feel the same as I did 5 years ago. Exhausted. Tired. I'm over feeling awful all the time. I would like to ask for maybe some specific tests but I don't know where to start anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
    val88
    (female)

val88 HB User
    Re: YEARS of FATIGUE, adrenal exhaustion, 26/f, constant napping and oversleeping HEL

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles, I have had CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome) for 30 years and many doctors are not well-versed in how to help. I suggest you start by finding a good holistic doctor. A few years ago I had a terrible flare-up of symptoms that were so bad I could barely function. I worked, slept 15 hours a day, did dishes and laundry. That's all I could handle. My general practitioner checked for lots of things including heavy metal poisoning--nothing. But the holistic doctor I found used a different test for heavy metals and found I had 3x the upper limit for lead in my body! After chelation I was so much better (although I still have CFIDS).

The usual tests are to rule out other things: Lyme disease, RA, heavy metal poisoning, MS, etc. I assume you already have had these tests. If not, you REALLY need a different doctor. Also know that many kinds of tests will show you to be in the "normal" range and you could still have a problem. Thyroid tests especially. There is something called reverse T3 syndrome that can't be found with the usual thyroid tests. It is when the body makes an inactive form of the thyroid hormone, so the tests show you have enough, BUT IT ISN'T DOING ANYTHING! Again, holistic doctors tend to know more about this kind of stuff.

If you have already been seeing holistic practitioners, you will need to just keep plugging away for answers. I have taken Low Dose Naltrexone which helps to boost the natural endorphin levels and can help regulate the immune system and provide pain relief. I found it through internet research and my holistic doc prescribed it for me. I felt great for a few years until my body got used to it. Now I'm off for a bit in hopes it will work again when I start back with it.

I also have found that taking 4000mgs/day good quality fish oil (I take Nordic Naturals---2000 in the morning/2000 night) can help a lot with systemic inflammation. I notice a difference when I run out. You'll want to try different kinds of supplements to make sure you're getting what you need. Even though your diet is good, your body may need much more than that. Some things that CFIDS folks try are ALA, Ubiquinol, Magnesium, immune boosting formulas, lots of Vitamin C, D3, E, B-complex,and B12. Well, the list can go on and on. And many of us are sensitive to gluten, dairy and sugar. I gave up gluten and my frequent headaches and sinus congestion went away plus my energy level went up. I still need to work on giving up dairy and sugar completely though.

Your symptoms are real. Your husband and friends are young and healthy and it's hard for them to empathize. But I know what you're going through. And I believe it WILL get better for you. Unfortunately, it is going to be up to you to find you solutions and I know how hard that is with brain fog and crushing fatigue. I'm just impressed that you can keep your house clean. That's HUGE. Really. No one knows how hard even the simplest tasks can be for us. You are probably the LEAST lazy person in your circle of peers. Remember that.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-26-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
    Penguinboy55
    (male)

Penguinboy55 HB User
    Re: YEARS of FATIGUE, adrenal exhaustion, 26/f, constant napping and oversleeping HEL

Hi, I also suffer from chronic fatigue and anxiety. At first my doctor told me I was simply lazy, then another one said it was a vitamin b deficency and my current doctor diagnosed me with chronic fatigue. And told me to change my eating habit and sleep more.

Closed Thread

Tags
    autoimmune, crps, exhaustion, fatigue, tired