It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

Quarter-life crisis because of CFS

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Lewcy
(female)

Lewcy HB User
Quarter-life crisis because of CFS

Hiya everyone,

I've just joined this site because I'm feeling completely lost at the moment and it'd be nice to hear from anyone who's been through something similar. I have no idea what to do with my life since getting unwell, but I'm the type of person who likes to keep busy.

I got glandular fever and (gradually) endometriosis in mid-2012. I was studying pharmacy full-time and working a little then, but I cut back on subjects and eventually pulled out of that course over the next 18 months because it would have been too hard to finish (due to placements/exams etc) with the symptoms I get. I quit my job about 6 months ago because I felt unwell and worried a lot after every shift - I felt I was doing an awful job because of the dizziness/brain fog/generally feeling weak and crappy (and often pain with endo).

I got so tired of living with my parents (although I love them) in the middle of nowhere, but I managed to move out to Melbourne about a month ago as I got accepted into biomedicine (part-time). But I've quit that this week, because it was overwhelming and I'm already having a particularly nasty flare-up - I have flu-like symptoms and have to spend most of my time resting. I wasn't well enough to attend lectures/pracs or focus enough to catch up on the lectures I missed. Plus, I think the amitriptyline I'm taking is making it a little hard to concentrate, but I'd rather that than the achy pain/insomnia I get otherwise.

So basically I'm not doing anything much with my life. I've finally moved out (and can afford to stay where I am for now) but I hate not feeling able to do something meaningful with myself. One thing that bothers me particularly is that on my good days I feel well enough to leave the house and do a few things - which then makes me feel so guilty that I'm not doing more with my time generally. But then whenever I try to, I get really unwell. I'm not sure committing to work/study is really an option. I hate explaining this stuff to other people - so many people don't get it, and I look quite healthy (although underweight). I hate dealing with other people's opinions of chronic illness, and the need I feel to explain myself and why I'm barely doing anything.

I'm thinking about doing a course in visual arts, because I enjoy creative pursuits (and I'm pretty sick of science). Or maybe jewellery making since I can do that at home, and already sell things I've made on occasion. I don't know though, perhaps any kind of study would be too much for me.

Anyways, I just feel like my weird health problems have robbed me of my ability to achieve something useful with my life - I was doing pharmacy ultimately because I thought I could help people with it (and although I'm over it, I do appreciate science a lot). What do other people with similar conditions do with their lives to attain some kind of purpose? And how do I not let the opinions of uninformed people bother me so much? I'd appreciate some insight!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
fjf13
(male)

fjf13 HB User
Re: Quarter-life crisis because of CFS

hello. My name is Frank I am 27 from Canada. For the last week or So have been so tired I can't get out of bed.I have intense back and neck aches and really bad headaches. I have no fever or Cough and have episodes have really bad dizziness. it has been really debilitating and I have lost 7 pds. Went to Emergency and was diagnosed with tension headache but I don't know about that. Sorry this isn't much I am on my phone and have to go. Will check back later. Hope you get better soon.

Closed Thread

Tags
cfs, chronic fatigue syndrome, endometriosis, study, work