It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

Unexplained Fatigue, Please Help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
runnergal123
(female)

runnergal123 HB User
Unexplained Fatigue, Please Help

Hi! I am a 23 year-old female. I get plenty of exercise and am not overweight, but for the past year I have been feeling extremely fatigued. It started when I had what seemed like a sinus infection. I took antibiotics and it went away, but my fatigue didn't go away. It has continued every single day for the past year.

I had mono a few years ago but was tested again & was told it is no longer active. (That's one of the first tests I had done, since the fatigue reminded me of how I felt when I had mono). I have had a variety of tests done - mostly GI and bloodwork, and the only abnormal blood test I had was an antinuclear antibody test (ANA), which was positive. I was referred to a rheumatologist because of this, but I was brushed aside because I was so young, and he wouldn't see me again.

Does anyone have any advice, or know of any diseases that could cause such symptoms? I have tried to explain how I feel to those close to me, but even my parents do not seem to understand. I know my body, and I know something isn't right. I'm just sick of feeling this way during what is supposed to be the prime of my life.

THANK YOU in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
k742
(female)

k742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB User
How were your iron levels from your last blood work up? Hemoglobin, hematocrit, ferritin, etc...even if they're in the low end of the normal range these can be signs of possible anemia. One of the most common symptoms is fatigue.

My levels were so low last year I had to have infusions. My legs felt like they had bricks tied to them - I figured it was because I was just climbing 4 flights of stairs at the time! I just had another iron panel a couple weeks ago and my iron is low yet again...granted mine is on the extreme side (below the normal range), but it may be worth looking into!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
runnergal123
(female)

runnergal123 HB User
Re: Unexplained Fatigue, Please Help

I'm about ninety percent sure that they were normal. I know that I have had ferritin measured, and I've been told several times that my iron was fine. But I'm not sure if I've had the whole panel that you mentioned

Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Do you know what your ANA titer (level) was? I would request a copy of all your recent test results to keep for yourself. It is a good idea to check them over, and pay particular attention to any marked hi, lo, or abnormal. If you find those, you can post them if you'd like, for comment, to help you understand what those results might mean. I would also consider seeing a different rheumatologist. No one should just brush off a 23 year old complaining of fatigue lasting a year with a positive ANA. You deserve to have additional tests to look for autoimmune disorders, including more specific antibodies found in lupus. A list of any other symptoms that may be new in the past year, constant or intermittent, would be helpful as well, here or to your Dr.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
noevr
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi did they check your thyroid? Having underactive thyroid can do it and ask for the nbrs.

Have you had a lot of steroid use in the past? Like orally for illness or injections for pain?

,cathy

Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
runnergal123
(female)

runnergal123 HB User

Thank you very much for the replies!

I just checked and the ANA titer was 1:80. Do you think this still warrants further checkup?

I have had my thyroid checked several times and was told that it is normal every time. TSH was borderline high about a year ago ( around 4.0) but the most recent test was about a month ago, and that was 3.0. So I'm not sure if that could be the issue or not.

Nope, I have never taken any steroids.

Last edited by runnergal123; 04-30-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

So 3.0 -4.0 is high for TSH according to recently revised standards. That means your thyroid is underactive, and you need anti-thyroid antibody tests to see if you have autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's) which can make the ANA +. 1:80 is not really high, but not inconsequential either, so yes, it should be followed, but may be a result of autoimmune thyroiditis, which is extremely common. This can be treated, and can make a huge difference in how you feel. The anti-thyroid tests are anti-TG and anti-TPO. Both should be done and a positive in either one is significant. Please try to get your Dr to order these tests, as that may be the whole problem.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
noevr
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi if you can make an appt with an endocrinologist that would be ideal and take copies of your test results. Cathy

Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
runnergal123
(female)

runnergal123 HB User

I have seen two different endocrinologists within the past year, and both have told me that my thyroid is normal. I just remembered also that my cortisol level was slightly high (27) for the cortisol blood test. Again, the doc thought this was not significant.

Do you have a reference for the new standards that I could mention to a doctor? Unfortunately one of the endocrinologists literally said something like "I don't know what's wrong with you, but let me know when you find out". Very unhelpful..

Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

Now the TSH is considered high if over 3.0. Before it was considered normal up to 5.0. So the T3 and T4 are helpful too, and if you fall in the lower 2/3 of range with a TSH over 3.0, I would consider that hypothyroid. TSH is considered most sensitive, but the whole picture needs to be assessed not just in terms of lab numbers, but more importantly, your symptoms and how you feel compared to your baseline.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
runnergal123
(female)

runnergal123 HB User

Thank you! Update- I have been told that the lymph nodes in my neck are swollen. Am wondering if that could be related now

Old 06-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
janis2
(female)

janis2 HB User

My step daughter had mono a few years ago and she was tired for a year plus afterwards. Maybe this is what you were experiencing?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
runnergal123
(female)

runnergal123 HB User

It has been at least 6 years since I had mono- I want to say even as long as 8. So I'm not sure why I would suddenly get so tired, especially if the doctor said I had barely any trace of mono in my most recent mono test. Hope that makes sense!

Old 04-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #14
didaya

didaya HB User

This may or may not help you, but it certainly has helped me. I exercise regularly and eat fairly well, but have had debilitating fatigue on occasion that I could not explain. Not thyroid problem or low iron. I heard that not getting enough potassium can cause extreme fatigue, as one's body uses potassium for most of its energy-generating functions. A fairly easy fix is to get some potassium chloride (No Salt or other salt substitute) and take it with water and lemon juice. I'm now taking 2 teaspoons a day of NoSalt, and I feel great. My brain fog has lifted and I'm able to exercise without feeling completely exhausted for a day or two afterwards.

People get potassium from bananas, potatoes, tomatoes (tomato paste is an excellent source) and other vegetables. It's best to get it from natural sources but No Salt is a good way to get a large dose and see if it helps. If this helps you, please write and let me know.

Best regards

Closed Thread