It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• Anyone have a DNA test for prescribing pain meds?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
    babyboomer6
    (female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User
    Anyone have a DNA test for prescribing pain meds?

Hi,
    I have been a chronic pain patient for 20yeats. I have had tons of surgeries. 7 for my back,1cervical, 4 abdominal, vascular bone transplant on my wrist, gall bladder, hysterectomy and my knee scoped. My back surgeries were all over 10 hrs. long and the cervicle was 8 hrs. long. I still suffer with tons of pain. The surgeon just says itís permanent nerve damage. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and osteoporosis.
    OK, I have been on 90 milg.methadone for pain, and 5milg. oxycodoneIR every six hours for break through pain. And at times it gets the pain down to a 5. But most the time a 6/7. Well, my Dr. decided to do a DNA test to see if there was better medication for me. So, she got the results and it said that my oxycodone should be changed to hydromorphone and my methadone was OK, but should be reduced. So she did what it said. She reduced the methadone 10mlg. a day, and gave me 4mlg. hydromorphone every six hrs. I just donít know how this test can tell how the person really feels. I was happy with things the way they were. Have any of you had this done? I will let you know how it goes. But it was barely covering the pain the way it was, so I donít know how dropping my dose of methadone is good. Let me know your thoughts. And thanks for listening to me! Boomer

The following user gives a hug of support to babyboomer6:
    tortoisegirl (06-10-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Anyone have a DNA test for prescribing pain meds?

Sorry you are having to deal with this. Definitely ask for a copy of those test results, and ask your doctor to explain anything you don't understand. I'm surprised they didn't do that already.

I have had one of these tests done. How I understood it, they interpret how your body (based on DNA) will metabolize certain types of medications. It can say if you metabolize a medication fast (will need a higher dose) or slow (should be given a lower dose). It can say whether a certain medication is not a good choice for you as your body won't absorb it as well as others (so you'd need a higher dose to be effective, if at all), or if you are likely to have an adverse reaction.

Therefore I am guessing this test said you metabolize Methadone slower than average, and said that Oxycodone is not a good med choice, but Hydromorphone is. It is also very possible however that your doctor/clinic is getting pressure to prescribe less, and only used this test as an excuse to drop your Methadone dose. Or, your doctor also could think that you are experiencing opioid-induced hyperalgesia, which is an increased sensitivity to pain, and where an increased opioid dose will actually make pain worse.

It is really tough to tell whether a patient is experiencing this or regular tolerance or worsening pain however. In all of those cases, more dose decreases could be in your future, unfortunately. I would be polite and non-argumentative, but ask your doctor specifically why your Methadone dose was reduced.

A few years back my doctor dropped my Methadone dose by 2/3 (from 120mg/day to 40mg/day), after making me try Suboxone, and having to switch to a medication in between Methadone and Suboxone, so it was a couple months total of withdrawal, pain, and misery. In the end I got nearly as much relief with the lower dose, but who knows whether due to hyperalgesia or just reducing my tolerance. My doctor says they cannot prescribe higher doses anymore as it puts their clinic and license in danger. I'd rather be getting something than have my pain clinic get shut down and get nothing (which has been happening in my area).

Hang in there! Best wishes.

Reply Reply