It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• Feeling very sad & emotional, the burning pain is really wearing on me! Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #31
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Re: Feeling very sad & emotional, the burning pain is really wearing on me! Help!!

Bgsigns,

I am sure that it is my own head coming up with the judgement stuff. I slao do have a fear because there is a woman that goes to the local aa group and she works in this counselors office. Would she have access to my medical records and the kinds of medications that I take. I gues I should just leave it to God to take care of the fears.

I know some of the fears are fabricated in my head. It really is none of my business what others think about me and I should not fucus on such things to much.

Today is my long day at school and I am dreading the day. I know that Tuesday usually will bring on a lot of pain an agony. Looking onto micoroscopes and looking at the table are hard on my neck and I just try to do the best I can.

I already woke up with some of my old pains and that in it of its self is scary.

So I will check you all later.

Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #32
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User
    Re: Feeling very sad & emotional, the burning pain is really wearing on me! Help!!

Chrissy,

One thing you know for sure, is that those false fears are not from God. He doesn't want us to have fear.

You are such a tender heart and I hate to hear you having so much pain and sadness. But I know all too well how constant pain can drag you down. For me, it seems I get pain on top of pain, on top of pain, and it just never seems to stop. Thank God for this beard and for folks like you that understand and openly comfort others Chrissy.

I really hope your day improves a lot.

steve

Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #33
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Brian,

How is it that the novacaine and epinepherine felt like it set off your addiction. I'm just curious and hope it's OK to ask?

steve

Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #34
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Steve,
    I have my old screen name back, it's still the same me. You wanted to know how it set if off. Well, the epinepherine helps the novacaine to work better but as you might not know epinephrine is a major stimulant and it pretty much gets injected right into my blood stream. It really felt like I had taken a hit off the pipe if you know what I mean. I told the dentist this the next time with my other root canal and she said if she didn't use the epinephrine that I probably wouldn't be very numb and it would be extremely painful root canal. I just told myself that it was something I needed to do and that it wasn't relapsing although I had alot of the same rush of feelings. I didn't go to work and went straight to my sponsor's place for support and make sure I didn't actually relapse since I was triggered pretty bad. I hope that made sense.

Brian

Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #35
    nialla
    (female)

nialla HB User

hi;
    i just joined the board because i know how helpful it is to be part of a community of people who are going through the same issues. my name is nialla, i'm 46 and a single mom of a 5 year old little girl. i'm in chronic pain in my neck from spinal stenosis and herniated disks. i've been so mean to my daughter i feel ashamed of myself, but i can't even control myself anymore. in december i had a cortisone injection but it didn't help. i've been taking relafin but it is also ineffective. i;d also been taking vicoprofin 7.5 mg's which helped somewhat, but narcotics are a dead end, so i tried to wean off them but my pain is unmanageable so i'm back on them again. my doctor wanted me to try cymbalta but my insurance denied me. he called on my behalf and right now we're waiting to see if i can get it. i'm very depressed and spend most of my time crying. i do stretch a lot and i go to physical therapy, but this has taken over my life ... i can barely work and i don't know what to do anymore. has anyone taken cymbalta and has it helped? i;ve heard of Lyrica and neurontin as well. any feedback would be great.

*nialla

Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #36
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hello Nialla

Welcome to the board.

I take Cymbalta and it is expensive and all I have is a discount card for prescriptions. I actually filled out paperwork from the drug manufacturer to see if I qualified to recieve it from them for free.

I do think it works on for my depression but the nerve pain is another story.

You may want to try some samples from your doctor to see if it will help you and then if it does you may be able to do the medication assistance program.

I am sorry to hear of you pain and pproblems!! Another good place to post about your problems in your neck is in the " spinal cor disorders " topic. I frequnt that area as well as this one.

Do you have a pain managemnet Dr.?

It may be time if you have not already, to have more further testing suuch as MRI and get to a Nuero surgeon, or neurologist.
    I am sorry about the pain. I understand that it is hard but please hang in there. We are here.

Brian

Wow I never had that hapen with the novicaine but I get what your saying!
    One time I had a CT scan when I was only a few months sober and I was hospitalized because of problems with my colon and when they put the contrast in I swear it was like I just did a big injection or hit of speed. It was scary. The tech said I might feel a hot flash but OMG. I just layed their and said ...your ok your ok your ok. I worked through it but it is an awful feeling to be in that spot.
    Good for you getting with your sponsor.

I will be having anothter MRI today with and with out the contrast. (which I hope the contrast does not make me feel like that again but it does sometimes) Anyway my sponsor will be picking me up and taking me there and on a few errands.

I had a painful day at school yesterday!! I wore a thema care thing on my neck and it actually did stay real warm from 1:30 om when I put it on until 7 pm when I took it off and it was stuill warm. Amazing. I did not think it would stay warm that long.

Anyway somtimes I wonder if I am being foolish and forcing my will on Gods will by continuing to go to school. The labortory sessions really hurt me. I have to stand and make slides and look at sllides in the microscope and it is really tough on my neck.

If I did not go to school then what??? I would be sitting here doing not one thing and I think that doing that may be wose because I would then feel totally like I was stagnant.

I will jsut have to see what the tests say and what the doc says when I see him next.
    I canme home last night in so much pain from school that I had to get into the shower and stand under the water for 20 minutes and take meds and lay down and not move for an hour before I could even think of eating.

I am so confused!! I am trying my best to just roll with it but it is very tough at this point.

Thanks people for being a part of my support. I do need you all.

Chrissy

Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #37
    gorgee
    Inactive
    (female)

gorgee HB User

Hi Nialla,

I am so sorry you are going through this all. You are very tough on yourself, and I can be too. I am having a rough day, the weather here is bad, and I am in pain. I read a comment on another post and it scared me. I am taking pain meds, and it scared me about getting off them, and now I feel guilty and don't want to take them. I have 2 small boys to take care of, 2 and 4. I am trying to build myself up, and I did take them. I have been taking vicoprofen 7.5, 3 to 4 every 4-6 hours, but it was not enough and I was taking too much ibuprofen. My doctor switched me to Oxycontin, and I was scared into not taking it. There is so much bad stuff out there about this med. At first I was on 20 mg, and still having breakthrough pain, yesterday he increased it to 40 mg, and hopefully I will not have to take the vicoprofen or not as much. Sometimes we need help, and we need people to help us, whether that be doctors, family, friends, or here. Last year, my husband tried Cymbalta and it worked wonders on his pain. He went off it because he did not want to be on an antidepressant. I hope your insurance approves it. I take lexapro and it works for me. My chronic pain is in my face, tmj, and also throughout my body. I have not been diagnosed, yet, with fibromyalgia or arthritis, but I have way too much body pain, especially in the morning and when the weather is bad. Good luck, and we can all help each other.

Last edited by gorgee; 02-06-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: wanted to put her name

Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #38
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Nialla, Take chrissys advice & put a thread on the spinal board & use both, there are some wonderful people on both & you will find them both extremely helpful.
    Chrissy, I used the thermacare patches about a month before my surgery & yes they do retain the heat. They have a new one (I think its newer) I just saw the other day in a gold box that lasts 12 hrs. I had mine sitting around since summer & duh realized I had not tried it. Some days I could feel relief, but I swear at times I would get a funny taste in my mounth after putting it on. I washed my hands very well all the time but still had that taste shortly after putting it on. I would say they are worth a try for any one who gets relief from heat.
    How did you MRI go? I am praying for you. Chin up (not so far up that it hurts though). It is snowing like crazy here & just so pretty, to bad it is so cold & the roads such a mess. I am using my chair & getting alittle more use to it, trying really hard. I expect a couple weeks of pain but it will be worth it if it works. Taking this time off work to think about learning some additional job skills. Scary to start over but sooner of later it will have to be. Besides I found out that the company I work for raised the rates in order to increase our wages, which never happened, that had me so angry to lie to clients making them think that we were getting rewarded for hard dedicated work. I work my butt off & make that company look good & am honest to a fault. I have prayed for guidance on what to do about work so when I heard that I figured perhaps that is my answer. I have some time while I am off to think about it, so that is what I will do. Wish me luck. Sammy

Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #39
    nialla
    (female)

nialla HB User

thank you--i will check the spine board. i've always had spinal issues, but last year i did treatment for hep-c, a year's worth of interferon and ribavirin which, thank god, worked and i cleared my hep-c but it made all of my pain issues so much worse. i've had a recent mri and it showed osteo-arthritis and herniations. vicoprofin does help cope, but it doesn't address the initial problem. last night i took my first cymbalta, my doctor gave me some samples, it made me feel very weird, in my stomach, but i also felt speedy and anxious which then led me to take 4 atavans to take the edge off, i feel like i'm chasing prescriptions. i've read it takes about a week, so i'm gonna give it a few more doses, i'm praying it helps both my pain and depression--they go hand in hand. thanks again.

*nialla

Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #40
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi everyone,

Nialia I am sorry to hear how tough it has been for you. I had a friend that went through the interfeon treatments as well and she to is doing much better in that area but the meds did make some oter thigns worse. She has a hip problem that is really painful.

I started to take the Cymbalta and I to experienced som nausea and headaches. They seemed to all go away after about two weeks.
    It is an expensive drug when you do not have good prescription coverge. I only have a discount prescription coverage plan and found that I qualified for the company who makes it ( the Lillly Company) and I went on line to their web site and was able to apply to the program for the medication for free. I ended up qualifying and now recieve it in 4 month increments and it will continue this way for one year for free. SO if it works you may qualify.

As for my MRI this is th report:

I will post it in a new post, in the spinal borad.

Thanks for asking Sammy.

Last edited by skych; 02-07-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #41
    nialla
    (female)

nialla HB User

i took my third dose of cymbalta last night and around noon today i started feeling really speedy like i drank a ton of coffee, i had a lot of anxiety. i called the doctor and he said i should stay on it, give it a full week and if still makes me feel bad, to stop. i really don't like this feeling at all. my neck and shoulders hurt a lot too. i feel very tense and agitated. i ended up taking to atavans just to relax. if i knew this was a passing phase and i would feel better soon i'd feel a lot better about staying on this medication, but i know we're all different and it effects us all in different ways.

Closed Thread