It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• Does anyone seem to develop chronic pain in other areas of their body?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Does anyone seem to develop chronic pain in other areas of their body?

I am starting to get worried and wonder if chronic pain can develop, start, or spread to other areas of your body. Maybe I am being just a little paranoid but I have been having pain in my abdomen which I am pretty sure is my gallbladder. The hard thing is trying to get a doctor to realize it and take it out. I have also been having pain in my jaw underneath where a crown was put in recently.

Nothing ever seems to go as planned or "normal". I developed pain in my tooth and ended up having a total of 2 root canals. After the root canals I developed a lot of swelling and pain in my jaw and up into the jaw bone joint. I was told to take ibuprophen and was put on a steroid for a week. This cleared it up and then a month later I had the permanent crowns put on. Fast forward 2 weeks and I have started to develop pain and sensitiviy in the one crown & straight down into the jaw. The pain is also radiating from that point in the jaw straight back along the lower jaw and into the jaw joint. I know that I have a history of grinding my teeth in my sleep. However, I don't have a girlfriend anymore that can verify this and my cat and dog are remaining silent. I am thinking there may be a couple of high points on the one crown and I am grinding my teeth in my sleep which is putting alot of pressure on that crown and down into my jaw. The other possibility is that I have developed chronic pain or TMJ as a reaction to the root canals. I am just getting very frustrated and depressed. The other possibility is that the endodontist did not get all of the nerves when she did the root canal. My pain meds are controlling the pain and I added the ibuprophen. I have an appt with my dentist on monday and I will be getting a night guard to wear. I will also explain to her the pain and hopefully she believes me and doesn't think that I am crazy or making it up. The pain is real, the swelling in my jaw is real and hopefully she can figure out what is going on. I just want to scream Thanks for letting me vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
    Wren9
    (female)

Wren9 HB User
    Re: Does anyone seem to develop chronic pain in other areas of their body?

Excellent question. I have developed chronic pain in an apparently unrelated area to my initial chronic pain areas. Orig. my pain started out in my lower back (l5/s1, l4/l5 herniations) and sciatica. For a while now (about a year or so) I have been having pain in both shoulders -- inside the blades and up a little -- right in that area where someone would massage if they gave you a "casual" shoulder rub.

The pain has been persistent despite chiro visits with deep tissue massage every other week. It is highly resistant to pain meds, including powerful opioids (methadone, oxycodone). On my last visit, my pain doctor has recommended an MRI. I just need the insurance approval. And my chiro is going to take x-rays on the next visit.

Sometimes the pain is so bad, I just cry with pain and frustration at how long it has been going on.

Brian, good luck with your dentist appt. I see no reason why she would not believe you -- but if that's the case, it is on her, not you! And then I would be looking for someone else who believed me. I'm glad the ibuprofen is helping -- I've heard that is good for mouth-related pain, cuz it reduces swelling. Usually ibuprofen or Naprocyn (Aleve) help me out with muscle pain, but they have not done much for this shoulder pain I'm having.

-Wren

Last edited by Wren9; 02-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
    Rrector
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rrector HB UserRrector HB User

Brian...I have different areas of CP, which I wrote about in the thread about abdominal pain. In addition to the IBS, I also have Neuropathy from my lung surgery to remove a tumor in my left lung. I also just recently have started developing pain in my neck or upper spine (C3-6) that was diagnosed by a Orthopedic surgeon I went to as Arthritis. The spinal pain is starting to concern me, as I don't want to go through another surgery at my age.

So yes, you can have CP in several areas of your body. As far as your pain in your mouth, I'm not sure what to tell you. You've had the root canals done, so there shouldn't be any pain at all, unless we're talking infection in that area. I have several crowns and I have never had anything like this occur, except one time when I had to go back and have them do some adjusting as the crown was too high. It'll be interesting to hear what your dentist has to say.

Good luck on Monday.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Brian, I feel like your twin. When I go to a dr. with a complaint I don't just come out with medicine, I come out with a test and then surgery. Same thing with the dentist. If a tooth hurts there is a 90 percent change it will end in a root canal. I only have about 6 teeth not root canaled and I am 43. The majority of my mouth is now capped or bridged too. I have TMJ also. My bite is really off which causes it. I have Narcolepsy and Obstructive sleep apnea. I have 3 herniated discs in my neck. I have pain from lumbar fusion surgery two levels with instrumentation. Had slipped vertabra and the discs in the neck and never had an accident or anything. When I was 40 they found a tiny hole in between the upper chambers of my heart. It is called Patent Forearm Ovale or something like that. A birth defect they find at 40. I had Gastric Bypass surgery in 2002 and are suffering now with stomach pain. I think I also replied to your thread on the abdominal pain. I have the same symptons you have. My gallbladder came out in 1992 though. I've had 2 sinus and 2 ovary surgeries. You name it. A total of 10 surgeries. It is like one thing after another. I am almost embarassed when I have to give my medical history to yet another doctor. TMJ is pretty easy to diagnose. The dentist can do it. He can give you exercises to do. You can even find online. They work. You can even do physical therapy for TMJ. I never have but have seen other people do. So, you are not alone. Feel better.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The thing is that I did not have TMJ before having the root canals and crowns put on. Or maybe I did and the pain meds have covered it up. It is amazing what you notice when the pain meds are not controlling things of if you decide to go off of them. My brother has TMJ and I guess the doctor pressed in right under neath is jaw bone joint, told him to move his lower jaw forward & backward. I tried this and damn that really hurts. At least it is not as bad as after the root canals when the pain went into my ear (thought I have an ear infection do to the pain) and down my neck. I need to be grateful though and pray to God that I am still alive and I can "feel" because I am alive. I can manage with his strength & the meds.

Brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 02-14-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Brian,

So sorry that you are having such a hard time. I dont know to much about TMJ other than it is very painful. The fact that your brother has it is interesting though.
    I have had alot of dental work myself. Many rootcanal and crowns and a couple bridges. I have actually had a root canal that ended up turning out to be a huge ordeal. Got a blister bubble thing that ended up having to be lanced and then the antibiotics and pain meds caused me to have a distended abdomen and an ER trip. Anyway....

I think the fact that you may have a high spot in the new crown and you do grit you teeth at night could be causing the elevated pain. Could the TMJ be partly due to the teeth grinding? I think I remember someone telling me that they did that and also had TMJ.

Briam you can give a big fat scream my way any time you want....

I am here for you!!

Sending out o big hug for ya....

Chrissy

Old 02-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Aww Chrissy:
    Thank you very much. I don't have anything really to complain when I know how much debilitating pain you are in. At least mine is being controlled and I can afford my meds and I know how much of a predicament you are in. I guess hold on tight cause it's going to be a rough ride.

Brian

Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
    The thing is that I did not have TMJ before having the root canals and crowns put on. Or maybe I did and the pain meds have covered it up. It is amazing what you notice when the pain meds are not controlling things of if you decide to go off of them. My brother has TMJ and I guess the doctor pressed in right under neath is jaw bone joint, told him to move his lower jaw forward & backward. I tried this and damn that really hurts. At least it is not as bad as after the root canals when the pain went into my ear (thought I have an ear infection do to the pain) and down my neck. I need to be grateful though and pray to God that I am still alive and I can "feel" because I am alive. I can manage with his strength & the meds.

Brian
    TMJ is strange. Sometimes I don't feel it at all. I have to wear a dental device to bed for my sleep apnea because I could not use the CPAP. When I take out in the morning sometimes the TMJ kills me. Other days no problems. I think when you have a root canal you have your mouth open for so long that it kind of gets a cramp and aggravates the TMJ. I know a classic sign is a cracking noise. My jaw cracks all the time. When the dentist put his fingers by both of my ears and had me open my mouth he could immediately feel the TMJ. Some times I will ice it when it is bad. It is strange how pain comes and goes. While my stomach has been killing me, my back did not seem so bad. When my back and leg are bad, my neck feels pretty good. They are all connected. All you have to do is sleep funny and can throw things out of line. The jaw included.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Brian,

Apparently I do have chronic pain in more than one part of my body. Up to now it's been pretty much limited to my knees (someday I'll tell the story if anyone's interested). As I am learning right now, I may also have significant pain from Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Now for something new. I developed a burning, jolting kind of pain in my laft hand over the last few months, leading to my left thumb becoming mostly numb now. Very strange. And it can hurt like an ache especially during sleep. I just had "nerve conduction testing" done on it today. Plus x-rays the other day. I've never had this done and it's really interesting, and a bit uncomfortable. At any rate, it looks like osteoarthritis has spread to my left wrist/hand. I didn't know that, as a condition, it can spread or be present in more than one area. I see a hand surgeon soon and he will advise accordingly. Last year I broke my right hand, and it is now developing osteoarthritis as well. Same hand surgeon treated me for that injury too. One came from an auto accident, the other from a fall.

So, I guess I did develop CP in other areas. Not long before you posted this thread I began wondering about this possibility (maybe we posted back and forth about it?). I wonder if it will get worse? If you run across any literature or other sources that speak to this please let me know, OK?

Thanks for posting this question. Really got me thinking. I wonder if there's any way to treat multiple areas of CP other than what we are already doing?

steve

Old 02-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Brian,
    I haven't had any dental or jaw issues, but as far as having my chronic pain "spread to other areas" I can definitly say yes to that! I guess it's not really "spreading" so much as it is a result of dealing with the other pain. My specific problems are the chronic myofascial pain and several herniated discs, but since those conditions, I have also developed other areas of pain, i.e. my neck, shoulders and my joints in general. My PM says that when you "pain posture" (walk, sit or sleep in strange positions because it is more comfortable) you end up putting additional strain on other areas of your body. Even when you sleep at night and unknowingly grind or clench your teeth, many times it's the body's automatic response to your chronic pain. I wonder if this, on top of the dental work you've had could be whats causing the additional pain. Just a thought...I hope it helps!
    cmpgirl

Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Anyone who takes pain meds chronically will undoubtedly develop more pain. what happens is this....You are in pain (doesn't matter what kind)....Your brain sends signals to your nerve endings to feel pain to let you know the body is hurting. Pain meds attach themselves to the receptors in your brain and "turns off" your brain firing messages about pain. Over time, your body says "hey, we're still in pain, and nothing is being done to address the issue except these pain meds"....So, it starts to fire more messages...More frequently and more intensely. Inevitably, people then take more pain meds, and a vicious cycle begins. Over time, you actually become more susceptible to pain (in general) and overall, more pain sensitive....Especially to minor pain. You can do a search with your favorite search engine on the topic and will find all sorts of information.

Hope this helps in a general sense.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I know what you are saying. I always felt like I had a high tolerence for pain. Now I just can't take it anymore. Even a toothache drives me nuts.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Executor:
    I guess the question is whether to even start pain meds in the first place since it can start off this viscious cycle. Does this happen to all people that take narcotic meds or just a select few? I know I did learn about this at the Cleveland Clinic Chronic Pain Rehab where they got everyone off of narcotic medications because they said it actually causes more pain. I just get so confused. This is one of the reasons that I did not want to start back on the narcotic meds. However, I could not have any quality of life.

Brian

Closed Thread