It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

Need a pain doctor

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 1
susansez HB User
Post Need a pain doctor

I can't eat. I can't sleep. Every few seconds, my legs twitch and jerk. My body feels as if it has been invaded by an army of red ants. I know what is happening. I am going through withdrawal. Except I am not a drug addict.
I am a 65-year old woman, wife and mother, who has been a chronic pain patient for more than 15 years. For most of that time, I have been very, very lucky. Although I was never pain free, I still was able to care for myself, keep the house clean, and even work part-time. Until recently, when break-through pain became a problem. My primary care physician wrote me a prescription for more morphine sulfate IR ("instant release") and sent me on my way. I wasn't worried. From what I had learned after years of reading about chronic pain, I wasn't worried. This was what leading pain specialists usually recommended doing.
But the break-through pain continued. My PCP wrote a prescription for even more morphine sulfate IR. Now, I was worried. This was not what I remembered being told at the pain clinic I attended. When break-through pain became a problem, another tablet of MS Contin ("morphine sulfate continuous action") was prescribed.
I wasn't sure what to do. I always had been leery about taking any pain medications. I had refused them when I had complicated dental procedures done, and I also had refused them when I gave birth to my son. What I didn't realize was that the pain I experienced in the dental chair and the pain I experienced giving birth was "acute" pain. It had a beginning and, more importantly, it had an end. "Chronic" pain may vary somewhat in intensity, but it is with you 24/7/365. It never ends. Never.
When I was told about UPMC's Senior Care Center, I made an appointment immediately. UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) has a reputation for being among the better medical centers in the country. I thought that I would be in good hands. I was wrong.
The doctor I saw initially raised my dosage of both MS Contin and morphine sulfate IR . I don't remember much about the month which followed. I slept through most of it. Every time I took one of the MS Contin tablets, I fell asleep. Sleeping for 6 to 8 hours, I would wake up in pain. Pain bad enough to be forced to take one of the morphine sulfate IR tablets.
At my next appointment, the doctor reduced my dosage and sent me to UPMC's pain clinic. Thus began a nightmare from which I have yet to awake. The doctor I saw there reduced my dosage of MS Contin and discontinued the morphine sulfate IR. A 75% reduction in pain meds without titration. And without medical supervision.
Since then, I have been in severe and unremitting pain. I have called both doctors many times, but they have yet to return my calls. I have been to several emergency rooms, only to be told that my doctor refuses to prescribe any medication.
I don't know what to do now.
Can you help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 115
Sammiejoe HB User
Re: Need a pain doctor

Hi & Welcome

I'm sorry to hear about the pain & WD that your going through...It is shocking, but unfortunately, not uncommon for CP patients to go through this nightmare... I'm so sick of these opiate phobic docs who don't want to rx narcotic meds and abruptly terminate all or most of your pain meds. There is no reason for any doc, let alone a PM doc to do this to a person.

There isn't much that you can do about the WD your feeling now, but the addiction board does have a sticky with some helpful home remedies.(Please don't think I'm suggesting your an addict, I just want to try & help lesson your pain now) On Tues. morning start looking for another PM doc...Can you call your PCP who initially gave you the morphine instant release before going to UPMC? I would try & get an appt with that doc & have your husband go with you and explain what you're going through. Get a copy of your medical records & a pharmacy print out of all the meds you've been prescribed in the past year. Do you know why the doc lowered your meds? It sounds like something may have happened because the 1st doc at UPMC initially raised your MSContin than lowered it and sent you to their pain clinic...Get those records, your entitled to them and that will tell you if anything is written in your chart about what transpired & why.

If you can't get back with your PCP than look for patient referrals to a new PCP who does PM or who can refer you to one who will effectively treat your pain.

I hope you find someone soon, but if you start to have bad WD going to another ER may be necessary.

Please keep us posted

Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,006
Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Need a pain doctor

I agree with SammieJo in that I would go see my PCP immediately and see if he can help. After all, he was the one who started you on pain meds. He also knows your history and reputation and knows you're not a drug seeker. He is your best resource @ this point. Then, maybe either he can continue to treat you, or refer you to a good PM Doc.

It sounds like something may have happened @ one of your appointments....Do you remember anything of importance that was said? Sometimes, the smallest of clues can help us identify a reason for this direction. Anything out of the ordinary? When he wrote your declining dose, did he give you any reason? What did he say?

I would keep calling them both until one called me back. Each time I called, I would tell the person taking the message that you haven't received a call back yet. Will they let you make an appointment to see either one? You may try to call the medical director of the clinic.

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. Unfortunately, it's a story we hear too often.

Take care my friend.



Last edited by Executor; 08-30-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Pain after Gallbladder Surgery and ERCP angelarenees Gallbladder 57 12-22-2011 11:10 AM
Lump in neck below jaw, pain in tongue Jbub General Health 2 03-03-2011 02:03 PM
Pain Dr switch? Not sure what to do . . . . Goudag24 Pain Management 7 04-28-2010 02:45 PM
Severe Pain In Left Ear Cartilage vikilynn Rare Disorders 7 04-28-2010 08:36 AM
Help/Advice neededASAP -Fentanyl detox, pain pat. abused meds will need meds in futre Confused089 Abuse Support 34 07-06-2008 05:33 PM
I need help and advice for my back problem eddieJ85 Back Problems 5 03-19-2007 05:54 AM
Pain meds not working any more need help cptpooface Pain Management 6 01-13-2007 06:13 PM
In Despair! Need Help makinit Pain Management 14 01-08-2007 09:30 PM
Need help getting new doctor Baloo Open to All Other Health Topics 2 11-07-2005 10:22 PM
Need advice w/ dosage issue and doctor blueswimmer Pain Management 12 04-26-2005 08:19 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!