It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• Avinaz instead of MS Contin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
    Katirina
    (female)

Katirina HB User
    Avinaz instead of MS Contin

I have chronic pain and the injections are not helping me any longer; doctor suggest I try Avinaz and see if it will work better than MS Contin. Has anyone tried Avinaz and how do you feel about it? The one thing that does help some is sitting on a heating pad and I can't do that continually. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Avinaz instead of MS Contin

I have tried Avinza (and Kadian). Both are LA oral morphine, as is MS Contin.

MsContin is recommended every 12 hours. Kadian was originally marketed as 1 x day, but has since been re-rated as 1-2 x day. Avinza is 1 x day. However, I took Avinza 2 x and now take Kadian 3 x. Personally, I don't think any of the LA meds work as long as the manufacturers claim.

I've never tried MS Contin, but have read good things about it. I would rate Avinza and Kadian about the same. The only reason I switched (from Avinza to Kadian) is because Kadian comes in a strength that my Doc wants to use and Avinza does not. Both come in many different dosage strengths.

Long story short, Avinza is the same chemical compound as MsContin, but much more long lasting. You might need more than 1 x, but some do not. When I took it 1 x, I had trouble starting about hour 18-20.

Do you take any thing for BT pain? It may be that you need something to address the "flair ups" that happen from time to time.

Hope this helps.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 09-06-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
    Katirina
    (female)

Katirina HB User

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I take Vicodin for in between.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

I've taken all three Avinza, kadian, and MS contin (Many brands of the MS)

Anyways in "my opinion", Avinza is by far the superior of the three.

I think it is possible that they use a better quality of drug than the other three. I know they all have morphine but I really do notice a difference in pain relief with the Avinza.

Second on my list would MS contin, but only the watson brand.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I've taken Avinza and MS Contin. The Avinza made me so sleepy that I couldn't stay awake with it. Then I had to take meds to keep me awake to take the pain meds....they just didn't work well for me.

So I stick with the MS Contin. I get good coverage with it and am pleased with the way it works. As with any drug there comes a time that it doesn't cover those last few hours.......

Old 10-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
    birdtruck
    (male)

birdtruck HB User

I have had very good results with the Avinza. Just make sure your insurance covers it. Very expensive but it works well for me. I take other meds for BT pain though. Before Avinza, the breakthrough pain was random. Now it is very predictable and manageable.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

I take Avinza, and but by the grace of God, only have to take it once per day (at bedtime). I do use MSIR for breakthru pain. IMHO, it is the best pain control I have had in a long time. Right now, the doc has given me a card that I use at my pharmacy and I am paying $0 for the Avinza. The card can be used up to 6 times, and when it runs out, the doc just gives me a new card! Free is always good when paying for an expensive med like Avinza.

For me, there are not any negative side effects such as sleepyness. I was contemplating the SCS (Spinal Cord Stimulator), but right now am at a good place pain wise, and until it gets out of control again, I am not gonna go there for a while.

Good luck to you, and hope you have some luck as I did with Avinza.

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

Can you tell me more about this card.

Do you have insurance? How many avinza to you get a time if I may ask only because I wonder how much the card will cover.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
    Can you tell me more about this card.

Do you have insurance? How many avinza to you get a time if I may ask only because I wonder how much the card will cover.
    These cards are called "patient co-pay reimbursement" cards. They can be found by simply going to the manufacturers website. I have one for Kadian and my husband has one for Androgel. The Kadian is up to $50 per month and the Androgel is up to $25 or 30....So essentially, the meds are free.

Hope this helps.

Ex

Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
    LeMans
    (female)

LeMans HB User

Hi Katirina,

I also have taken Avinza as my first morphine drug, Executor gave a good explanation of what it is and birdtruck was right, it IS more expensive cause it is a name brand. I asked my pain doc if I could try the generic long acting morphine sulfate, which if you have insurance is MUCH cheaper. But unfortunately if you don't have insurance and have to pay out of pocket it is ridiculously expensive, go figure. But just reading all the posts here, one med can have many different effects on different people. Neither the Avinza nor the morphine sulfate bother me in the least bit, it's like I'm not even taking anything at all, but it knocks down the pain to a tolerable level for me.

Good luck, LeMans

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Hi LeMAns,

We sound alot alike, as you mentioned on the PM board, we take the exact same doses of the exact same generics...

I too started my morphine treatment with Avinza, when it first came out...My doc said the same thing , that it SAYS 1 every 24 hours , but that he didnt believe it and blah blah blah....

Anyways fast forward and youre talking about the morphine sulfate working great for you ( and myself ....90 mgs 3 x a day w/ the hydrocodone 10/325 3x a day for BT) ....What I want to ask you is this..is your pharmacy pretty consistant on which brand you get ? ..I get 3 different brands periodically, and I know which pill works least and which I swear by...I have no idea the maker just the description..

I get the flat white deflated football ones with the 60, the round orange teeny dots, and the little bar thats orange and the one I much prefer...

Do you have a preference or have ou ever had a reason to know theres different ones ??

Thanks !!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
    LeMans
    (female)

LeMans HB User

LuvMyPitti

I don't know where you live, but I get mine at a Gro/Phyrm called Schnuck's. We have to signed contract at the docs office saying that you have to get your meds at one pharmacy. Every once in a blue moon they have a backorder or run short of a brand name, and it looks differerent. But 99% of the time the it is consistent. And they often bend over backwards to help you out. Give ya what they may have on hand, not charge you for it till the whole amount comes....it is really nice of them, but I've been with them for 4 years. My 60's are small, round, and a kind of rust red color.

Good luck, LeMans

Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuvMyPittie View Post

What I want to ask you is this..is your pharmacy pretty consistant on which brand you get ? ..I get 3 different brands periodically, and I know which pill works least and which I swear by...I have no idea the maker just the description..

I get the flat white deflated football ones with the 60, the round orange teeny dots, and the little bar thats orange and the one I much prefer...

Do you have a preference or have ou ever had a reason to know theres different ones ??
    You are not alone LuvMyPittie....Many have had similar types of experiences....Where they swear by one med or another. As we discussed in another thread, the FDA permits generics a +/- 20% leeway per the Watch-Haxman Act. Thus, it's very plausible that one med or another could work better for you.

I highly recommend that you talk to your pharmacist and see if they will order and stock the one med just for you. I use an independent pharmacy and they actually put my name on the master bottle that they keep on the shelf. I have developed a good relationship with the pharmacist and explained my situation to him. Others have posted that some chains will do this type of thing as well. The right med makes all the difference in the world....I would do all I could to secure it.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Thanks Ex, appreciate it !

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
    LeMans
    (female)

LeMans HB User

LuvMyPitti,
    Hope you're having a good day. I was thinking about you this afternoon, had to go to the pain doc today cause I had a REAL bad day yesterday that I spent at the E.R., so they told me to follow up with an appointment with my pain doc today. Anyway, he upped my meds from the long-acting morphine 60 mg. (the red ones) to 100 mg. (these are light blue). Plus he changed my short-acting 10/500 mg. hydros that I have been taking since all this started about 6 years ago, but I had to be getting a bit immune to it in all this time, to Endocet (oxycodone/acetaminophen) 10/325 mg. cause these are twice as strong as the hydros for my break-thru meds. This was WONDERFUL! Haven't had a med change for a long while and boy did it make a difference! Anyway, I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but right after I told you I was on red ones then I went to light blue. And I'm sure that wherever the pharmacy gets the 60's these come from the same place. Again, chances are they will remain this brand unless something unfortunate happens and they have to use a different manufacturer, cause they have always been very consistent with what they dispense. And if anything does change they're good about telling me when I'm checking out so I don't think I got the wrong thing when I get home.

Best wishes, LeMans

Closed Thread