It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• DISCOGRAM.. Anyone have one of these before?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
    3yearhurt
    (female)

3yearhurt HB User
    Re: DISCOGRAM.. Anyone have one of these before?

I know that the reason they can't sedate you for the discogram is because they need you to be able to say that it hurts. The whole point of the discogram is to recreate the pain that you feel so they can figure out the source of the pain. Honestly though, I don't understand why they would want you to have the test if they aren't even considering any further surgeries. I was in a little extra pain for the next 24 hours after my discogram, then I was fine. Now as far as the mylogram, I'm not sure, mine is scheduled for Tuesday and I'm having major anxiety about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #17
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Thanks again for the support and replies. It means a lot.

Can I ask why they are doing a mylogram? It was never suggested for me.

I believe the reason he wants me to have a discogram is to see if I am a candidate for an IDET procedure. I'm afraid that if I cancel this, he will refuse to help me with any future pain management.

I don't think he would ever just do it for the payout. It's worker's comp and they are known for paying the least amount they can get away with.

A couple more questions (for anyone who reads this and has had a discogram) about this and I swear I'll drop it.

About how long does it take? (I realize it probably varies.. just trying to get an idea)

If it gets too painful will they let up and give you a break, or do they ignore you and continue on? I am worried about that because with one of my steroid injections (not with this doc) it became very painful and I asked him to stop.. he told me it was almost over and continued to inject deeper into my back. That was the last time I went to him! I guess this can depend on the doc as well.. I hate not having any control over my pain levels, but I guess that's why I am considering this in the first place.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Now this is what I was told by someone, and may be different with each DR..BUT ..I heard that the discogram would be after the mylegram....

And I can tell ya I was SCREAMING ( while trying to catch my breath) to have them stop because it hurt so bad , I thought I was gonna pass out )...They didnt...I guess they figure, lets just get it over with

It wasnt my PM that told me the discogram would be something considered after a mylegram was done, a technician or something...I dont remember...I DO know that my PM DID say at one point that I wouldnt like having a discogram.

Im wondering since this is WC, if theyre just wanting to try everything to see ' whats wrong' and or run the bill up ?

My husband just got , and I mean JUST GOT finsihed with his WC case after nearly 3.5 years and a double level fusion(neck) but he had a billon tests and stuff done before hand...

I know what youre going thru, really !!! ...You can private message me if you have questions !

Old 11-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #19
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Very sorry but having 3 discograms I can say honestly that this is the most painful test I ever had. I am not talking about surgeries, I am talking about tests, cortisone shots - discogram is the most painful.
    Doctors tell you if your nerve roots inflamed you will get more pain (100% true), more problems you have - more pain your endure.
    I had a friend who during discogram had no pain at all; it was an indication that she doesn't have back problem even though her pain in a spine was unbearable.
    Unfortunately it took them 3 years to discover that her problem was ovarian cancer and pain she felt in her spine was actually related to her cancer.
    That is why her discogram was 0 Pain.

Best of luck to you dear,hope everything will be OK. God never gives us something we can't bare, so you will be Ok too. I am alive, hundreds other also... so will be you!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
    Very sorry but having 3 discograms I can say honestly that this is the most painful test I ever had. I am not talking about surgeries, I am talking about tests, cortisone shots - discogram is the most painful.
    Doctors tell you if your nerve roots inflamed you will get more pain (100% true), more problems you have - more pain your endure.
    I had a friend who during discogram had no pain at all; it was an indication that she doesn't have back problem even though her pain in a spine was unbearable.
    Unfortunately it took them 3 years to discover that her problem was ovarian cancer and pain she felt in her spine was actually related to her cancer.
    That is why her discogram was 0 Pain.

Best of luck to you dear,hope everything will be OK. God never gives us something we can't bare, so you will be Ok too. I am alive, hundreds other also... so will be you!
    Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Can I ask why you needed 3 of the Discograms and did they lead to anything that helped?

Also, do they let you take your own pain meds prior to the procedure? If that's the case, I don't understand why they can't give you something to bring the baseline pain down to what a normal person without pain might feel and then go up from there. It just sounds like torture to me!

I am still postponing it and holding out for something else. The thought of going through more pain than I am already in is really scary.

The doctor did mention a possible IDET, but I don't know if he has to do the discectomy first. I am starting to feel like the SCS implant is keeping me from getting the right treatment and isn't helping much aside from reducing the burning leg pain.

Matt

Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #21
    bubbles2001
    (female)

bubbles2001 HB User

It is very painful,If one of the disc is torn it hurts more.But its quick,the pain that he induces only last a second.You will hurt more for a couple of days.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #22
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubbles2001 View Post
    It is very painful,If one of the disc is torn it hurts more.But its quick,the pain that he induces only last a second.You will hurt more for a couple of days.
    Thanks for the honesty. My Dr. is assuring me it's not as bad as everyone says and that if it gets bad he will back off. I just wish they could administer some degree of conscious sedation so you will feel it a bit and not remember it so much.

I am in a huge amount of constant pain in my lower back and down to my feet.. even with Percocet (7.5/325mg) & Duragesic (100mq/every 2 days). I just hate thinking of even more pain on top of this!

Also, I am still waiting for Travelers to authorize this procedure. It's now going on 8 MONTHS! The judge, at my worker's comp hearing, went on record as being in my favor and authorized it, but Travelers' lawyers put a stop to it after sitting on it for 30 days. Then my lawyer appealed, and their lawyers waited 60 days before getting back... now I'm not even sure who's turn it is. It's so depressing. They have already spent about 5x the money that it would have cost to have it done 8 months ago and I wouldn't be put through the extra stress and pain. I hate how they always put the patient last.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
    Jeanie3
    (female)

Jeanie3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonmanx View Post
    My doctor mentioned a possible IDET to go along with my SCS device, but
    the insurance company has refused to even consider it and even the WC judge said she is skeptical of me having another device implanted. So after all of this.. the discogram might be for nothing!

I am not sure if I should have just gone through with this blindly or not. I try to read up on everything and prepare, but I was hoping to hear something different. I guess I sort of expected this.

I am mostly at an 8 pain-wise and thinking about it going to a 10 is really scaring me. Is there no way for them to do this with conscious sedation?
    I don't think they were able to use that during a spinal tap, because it might mess up their spinal fluid sample, but why not for such a painful test like this?

I think I read that they will give you something to calm you, but I don't think it's anything more than what I already take.

So does it continue to hurt more even after the test is done? I had a steroid injection a few years ago that made my legs hurt so much I could barely stand it. It felt like an extreme pressure pushing from the inside out. I don't want to go through that again.

Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm stuck here. I really don't want to have a discogram, but I need to do something. I would be happy if I could just lay down without extreme pain. I look forward to sleep each night since it's the only relief I ever get and so very little of that too.

Has anyone had good results with the steroid injections after having 10 or so without any relief? Should I not give up on these yet?
    Hi,
    I'm sorry you have such terrible pain all the time. Maybe I can help alleviate some of your fears about the discogram. I had one about 2 weeks ago. It does hurt, BUT the severe (10 out of 10) pain doesn't stay with you. The hospital where I had it usually gives you versed (don't know about the spelling) before you start. Because I have breathing problems, they wouldn't give me any. First, they took the betadine out of the freezer (it was COLD) and cleaned my back. Then the doctor injected novacaine. That hurt, but not more than the pain I get after sitting up for a couple of hours. When he put the contrast into the disc spaces it really hurt - it was a 10. I was grabbing the arm board so hard that my pulse ox didn't register. The horrific pain lasted 10 minutes, and all the time the doctor was asking me questions about the pain - whether it was new or the same pain I normally got - I told him it was the pain I got if I was out of bed for 5 hours (my limit is 3 hours a day). At this point, I was gasping from the pain and it was hard for them to understand me, which is probably why it took so long. THEN HE INJECTED SOMETHING TO MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY! It was great! I knew better when he got to the next disc, so I told them right away that it felt like he had just broken my back all over again. That one only lasted 2 or 3 minutes, so even though the pain was horrible, it didn't last as long. This doctor actually apologized for causing me so much pain, and then I was off to CAT scan and recovery. They allowed me to take my own painkiller (Roxicet oral solution), and my pain was down to my normal 8 within 20 minutes.

It took 3 days to get back to my "normal." During that time, I couldn't get out of bed for more than 10 minutes. The extra pain went away overnight after the 3rd day. It's been a couple of weeks now, and I'm back up for 3 hours a day.

Your doctor should have a good reason for ordering a discogram. I always make my doctors explain why they want a test, and what good will come of it. If there's a chance it will lead to a cure, or a better life, I usually go for it. If it's just to satisfy their curiosity, they're out of luck. In my case, it's to see whether surgery will help. I also was lucky enough to find an excellent radiologist with a wonderful support staff that took a good history and really went over the procedure with me several times both over the phone before the discogram, and in the morning before the proceedure. They even had a handout

There is another type of discography out there where they take away the pain instead of giving you more. I think they inject either novacaine or lidocaine with the dye, instead of saline. I had the saline first, then the novacaine, which made the test much more tolerable. You'll have to do a web search to find out more about it - if I find the proper name for the procedure, I'll repost it.

Good luck. I know what it's like to be stuck in bed - I've been here 2 years now, and I was really active before my accident. You CAN get through a discogram, and it will probably be easier for you as long as they give you versed or another form of conscious sedation. Just make sure it's necessary. I'll pray for you. I hope this helped a little.
    Jeanie

Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #24
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Jeanie,
    Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your honesty about the pain levels. I'm really dreading it, but I need to do something about my pain.

I finally won the battle for authorization with my insurance company which started back in June of 2009! The judge originally authorized and they fought back and fourth since then.

Now they said I have the authorization and it cannot be appealed again. They are also giving me pre-authorization for an IDET if the PM doctor thinks it will help me.

If you do happen to find more information on the less painful discogram please pass it on.

Thanks again,
    Matt

Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
    3yearhurt
    (female)

3yearhurt HB User

Did you ever end up having the discogram after all? I ended up having to have anoter one after my myelogram cause they needed further tests and I can honestly say I don't remember any pain from this one at all. When they brought me to to ask if it hurt I apparently cried and said yes but when I came to after the procedure was over I had no memory of the pain and I wasn't in any real extra pain afterwards either (a little but just barely more than I was used to.) anyway after that test and a nerve test and stuff, they decided I need to go on with a third surgery hut the news was great because although I did need to have yet another surgery all they needed to do was remove the screws from the 360 fusion. Anyway that was three weeks ago today and I feel amazing! I was so anxious to have this surgery and unsure that it would really make a difference but thank God it did! I finally feel healed! Now my husband and I can start trying to have a family :-)

Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #26
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3yearhurt View Post
    Did you ever end up having the discogram after all? I ended up having to have anoter one after my myelogram cause they needed further tests and I can honestly say I don't remember any pain from this one at all. When they brought me to to ask if it hurt I apparently cried and said yes but when I came to after the procedure was over I had no memory of the pain and I wasn't in any real extra pain afterwards either (a little but just barely more than I was used to.) anyway after that test and a nerve test and stuff, they decided I need to go on with a third surgery hut the news was great because although I did need to have yet another surgery all they needed to do was remove the screws from the 360 fusion. Anyway that was three weeks ago today and I feel amazing! I was so anxious to have this surgery and unsure that it would really make a difference but thank God it did! I finally feel healed! Now my husband and I can start trying to have a family :-)
    Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'm glad to hear it helped you so much!

I just have a quick question for you. I also had a spinal fusion back in 2002 and have been in at least the same amount of pain, if not more since then.

I have had a couple of x-rays and they told me the screws look good, but I have my doubts. Did they take any xrays of your back after your fusion and couldn't they tell there were problems with the screws before the Discogram?

How long did they keep you in the hospital for the screw removeal surgery? (sorry, that was 2 questions!)

Thanks,
    Matt

Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #27
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

This is ridiculous!! I thought since the last appeal from my worker's comp lawyer was rejected by the judge that my discogram and possible IDET would be finally authorized. Today I just received yet another letter from their lawyer requesting another appeal and they are refusing to authorize it!

This is so frustrating. It's been going back and fourth between the lawyers, the comp board since June of 2009.. Nearly a year!

I keep getting my hopes up for some type of possible relief from this constant suffering and then I get a letter that destroys my hope.

They are spending nearly $50,000 a year in pain meds and they are barely helping my pain. Do they not realize that if this discogram and IDET can help reduce my pain I might be able to ween off these meds that are surely destroying my liver and complicating my life in others ways as well?

If they are going to put a dollar sign on everything.. maybe they should look at these numbers.

They are stating that a recent IME (Independent Medical Exam) they set, and by the way I don't see how they can call it independent when they hire the retired Dr. to say what they want them to say, didn't think I was a candidate for anything surgical and should continue with my aqua therapy.

From what I have read, the discogram is NOT a surgery, but a diagnostic tool to discover the source of the pain. Also, the IDET seems to be categorized more as a "minimally invasive procedure" according to *****.

"Intradiscal electrothermic therapy (IDET) is a relatively new, minimally invasive treatment for spinal disc-related chronic low back pain."

I guess the W/C lawyer will continue to twist words to their liking and continue to delay this as long as they want.

They said because I've had 3 back surgeries and "continue to have significant complaints" that there is no reason to continue with anything other than physical therapy and pain meds.

Does everyone who deals with worker's comp have to deal with stuff like this? I honestly don't know how these people live with themselves knowing they are destroying someone Else's life. They could care less that I am stuck in bed 90% of the day. Of course they had no problem taking money out of my paychecks when I was working though.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #28
    3yearhurt
    (female)

3yearhurt HB User

Hey Matt, they did do xrays after my fusion and said everything was looking great. I think because all they were really looking for was to see if the veterbrea fused properly, which in my case they did. There was no way for them to tell from just the xray or really even an MRI either that the screws were going through a nerve. I never even considered the idea until my now surgeon suggested it. At first, he thought that the l4-l5 may be the root of the problem, which after the discogram he ruled out. Then we did the nerve tests and a mylogram and that's how he concluded that the screws were piercing the nerve. He was pretty confident that just removing the screws would help so I went for it. They expected me to be in the hospital for a couple nightsat least, but after one night I was up and walking around and feeling great. They were shocked (I don't think that was normal, but as I'm sure you can atest, after 4 years of constant, chronic pain, the morning after I felt so much relief that I couldn't just lay there!!) so I asked if I could go home and they agreed!! I took it easy for a day or two and then was feeling great and got around the house just fine, back to cooking dinner and doing light things around the house since I wasn't able to ride in a car for 4 weeks. Anyway, I hope this helps, and I hope you find something to help! Good luck, you're in my prayers! :-)

Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3yearhurt View Post
    Hey Matt, they did do xrays after my fusion and said everything was looking great. I think because all they were really looking for was to see if the veterbrea fused properly, which in my case they did. There was no way for them to tell from just the xray or really even an MRI either that the screws were going through a nerve. I never even considered the idea until my now surgeon suggested it. At first, he thought that the l4-l5 may be the root of the problem, which after the discogram he ruled out. Then we did the nerve tests and a mylogram and that's how he concluded that the screws were piercing the nerve. He was pretty confident that just removing the screws would help so I went for it. They expected me to be in the hospital for a couple nightsat least, but after one night I was up and walking around and feeling great. They were shocked (I don't think that was normal, but as I'm sure you can atest, after 4 years of constant, chronic pain, the morning after I felt so much relief that I couldn't just lay there!!) so I asked if I could go home and they agreed!! I took it easy for a day or two and then was feeling great and got around the house just fine, back to cooking dinner and doing light things around the house since I wasn't able to ride in a car for 4 weeks. Anyway, I hope this helps, and I hope you find something to help! Good luck, you're in my prayers! :-)
    Thanks for the reply. It good to hear from someone with a good outcome.

Can I ask what type of sensations you had from the screw going through your nerve?

I used to have localized pain in my lower back, but after the 3 surgeries (2 discectomies and a spinal fusion) I now seem to have pain all over the place. My upper back, and from my waist down to my feet are burning and aching constantly. Every muscle in my body aches. Could that be from a single nerve being pierced by a screw?

I had a chance to ask my pain management doctor and she thought it was more likely a disk above my surgery that has now weakened. If that's the case I don't know what they will offer. I can't go through another surgery.

Each surgery just makes me feel worse. I can't imagine my pain levels getting higher than it already is, but I'm sure there is always another level of pain that I've yet to hit.

Sorry to sound hopeless, but I just had my 15th nerve block in 11 years and all they do is give me more leg pain. Even the PM doc was discouraged this time. I think they are out of ideas and my worker's comp insurance are doing nothing but rejecting every request for anything that might help my pain levels. They are happy to keep me on high levels of narcotics that don't touch my pain...It's really discouraging.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #30
    taylah1
    (female)

taylah1 HB User

Hi, I have had a discogram and yes it is painful but compared to the pain I felt when my back went it was tolarable and as soon as they give the fentynol it eases and they give some sort of twighlight drug so you have no concept of time and you dont really remember it all too well so try not to worry Im sure you will be fine and if it gets you a diagnosis you will be glad you had it done.
    good luck and best wishes
    sharon
    L5/S1 disc pertrusion with nerve compresion
    awaiting adt

Closed Thread