It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• DISCOGRAM.. Anyone have one of these before?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User
    Re: DISCOGRAM.. Anyone have one of these before?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taylah1 View Post
    Hi, I have had a discogram and yes it is painful but compared to the pain I felt when my back went it was tolarable and as soon as they give the fentynol it eases and they give some sort of twighlight drug so you have no concept of time and you dont really remember it all too well so try not to worry Im sure you will be fine and if it gets you a diagnosis you will be glad you had it done.
    good luck and best wishes
    sharon
    L5/S1 disc pertrusion with nerve compresion
    awaiting adt
    Sharon,
    Thank you for sharing. I have heard so many horror stories about this and it's nice to hear something more positive.

The PM doc said he also uses some type of pressure sensors to help lesson the pain as well.

The main problem now is that the worker's comp insurance company is still fighting me on this. They are saying this and the IDET is on par with a major back surgery and since I've had 3 failed surgeries, this will also be a failure. They are taking the word of a retired IME over a practicing pain management doctor who has performed tons of these and can verify a 75% positive outcome ratio.

I have been fighting them for 14 months now and I don't know how much more of this I can take. The judge awarded me the authorization back in June of 2009, they appealed... delayed. The Worker's Comp board overturned their appeal and awarded me authorization again, they appealed again. This went on 3 more times and now they are taking it to the NY State Supreme Court.. which could take months or even years? to get a new hearing.

Meanwhile I am stuck in bed with pain that is so bad I don't know what to do. It's definitely not under control and it gets so bad sometimes that I think about going to the ER, but I know I would just end up sitting there and they would probably think I was a drug abuser so I don't bother with it.

I have been in constant pain from my work related accident for 12 years now so the pain meds no longer work and the pain in my legs feels like they are on fire and being crushed It just feels like a prison sentence and the insurance company is telling me to take meds and do physical therapy.
    They really have no clue what I am dealing with and it's terrible that these companies can get away with this type of stuff.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I do appreciate the information on the discogram.

Good luck with your L5/S1 disc protrusion with nerve compression. I hope it helps relieve your pain.

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #32
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I simply hate what your Drs tell you :"Live with it". I know, your case is tough because it Working camp and you cant just go to the Dr you want, but if you persistent enough, try to fight your right to go and have second-fifth and more opinions. I am afraid to play a Dr here, but I feel like you need a good PM Dr. I mean a good one. Do not anticipate that all of them good.
    I went thru years being misdiagnosed for a very obvious and severe conditions and it took one great, knowledgeable Dr who cared to diagnose me in one day!

Unfortunately due to high tolerance (this is my problem also, very high tolerance to medications) opioids stop working on your pain, this only means that you need a great PM DR who will work on your own "coctail" of medication to help you to have some life quality. I am ill for 5 years now and the last 3 years I am with excellent group of Drs even though I have to travel to NYC to see them, but I cant be happier. Nobody ever tell me "live with this", they care and they know how to help you. I don't believe a GOOD DOCTOR ever gives up on his patients. Sorry...
    I shared with you my own and my dear friends (also chronic pain patients) observation and life experience.

Try your best and go from there. Do a lot of research, find someone good, pick very good teaching hospital where they see million of patients with CP.

Hugs and blessings to you!
    Moldova

Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #33
    LeeLee61
    (female)

LeeLee61 HB User

I am also scheduled to have this test on September 3rd and am barely receiving any mdeication relief..who do I talk to besides the pain management dr's, because they seem to only believe in their "procedures" curing the pain-and they don't!!!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #34
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Hi dear heart!

I presume if you ask our opinion, you mean to know it all, right?
    I had discogramm done twice; both times it was very painful test. More damages your spine has, more pain you endure. Why? Because your PM will try to check which levels of your spine are "good" and which ones are "bad" by triggering these zones and this is what causing pain.
    I have a friend who had 0 pain during discogramm, so her PM told her she doesn't need any surgery and her spine is fine.
    I should be so lucky! And all of us...

But since they seduce you a little, times goes very fast and before you say your Ouch, it will be over. Just think positive and everything will be OK. After all, I am still here and thousands other people are doing OK after this test.

Best of luck to you!
    Moldova

Closed Thread