It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• DISCOGRAM.. Anyone have one of these before?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User
    DISCOGRAM.. Anyone have one of these before?

Hello everyone. After a 6 month battle with my Worker's Comp insurance, another IME, and a hearing last week, my doctor was finally granted the right to preform this test.

He is a pain management doctor, who has also implanted my SCS device a few years ago. He only briefly explained this procedure and it sounds extremely painful. I didn't have the chance to talk to my PM doctor again yet and I was wondering if there is someone here who might have had one who will give me an idea of what to prepare for. The last really bad experience I had was a spinal tap in 2004 which they didn't give me anything to ease my pain and during the injection, I believe, he hit my hardware which made me feel like my spine was plugged into an outlet! My back contorted and I felt like I bounced on the table. So, you can see my concern for this.

My quick history:

1998/05 Injured at work.
    2000/08 Discectomy/Lamenectomy L5/S1. (didn't help)
    2000/11 The pain was much worse + possible infection in the disc space.
    2001/06 2nd surgery -- Microdiscectomy. After this surgery I started noticing a burning/cold pain from my chest down to my toes which has never gone away (and continues to get worse)
    2002/04 Spinal Fusion + cage (pain worsened)
    2002-2005 Continued w/ injections, PT, Meds (Percocet, 100mq Duragesic, Soma, 10mg Ambien, etc)
    2006/06 I had a Dorsal Column Stimulator test implant. The test unit did help with some of my back and leg pain. The final DCS was implanted, but once it was implanted I didn't have the same results. I would say it went from helping 50% to about 10%. They told me this was due to scar tissue in my back.

Currently The pain continues to get worse, the meds are less effective. I'm desperate for relief from the constant pain.
    The doctors are telling me everything has been done and I need to deal with it.

I'm stuck in bed 95% of the time and mainly only get out to make it to Doctor's appointments and aqua therapy twice a week which I miss quite a bit because it's too painful to get there. I'm hoping the discogram will give them some idea of where to focus on. Am I expecting too much from this?

Sorry this turned out to be so long. I'm not sure if I should include the entire history with each message or not.

Thanks to everyone who has helped in the past. I'm glad I found this place!

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
    3yearhurt
    (female)

3yearhurt HB User
    Re: DISCOGRAM.. Anyone have one of these before?

I had a discogram in between my laminectomy In 06 and 360 fusion in 07. Honestly it was very painful, the benefit you have is not knowing how painful it will be. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, just remembe rthat they do see a need for the test or they wouldn't order it. This test is why they were able to see that I needed to immeaditly have my fusion. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
    marbelmo
    (male)

marbelmo HB User

What levels are you having the disco done on?
    I had a 3 level cervical discogram 2 years ago and it was the MOST painful thing I've ever gone through. As soon as they're done however, they jack you full of Fentanyl and the pain subsides. This is a very effective test. It allows the doctors to pinpoint exactly what levels and which discs are causing your usual pain.
    Unfortunately every cervical level they tested on me caused severe pain, so no surgery was scheduled and I was sent on my way to PM.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
    lemonflavor
    (male)

lemonflavor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marbelmo View Post
    Unfortunately every cervical level they tested on me caused severe pain, so no surgery was scheduled and I was sent on my way to PM.
    I thought that if it causes severe pain that means you need surgery. Or do you mean there were too many levels to deal with?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
    marbelmo
    (male)

marbelmo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lemonflavor View Post
    I thought that if it causes severe pain that means you need surgery. Or do you mean there were too many levels to deal with?
    Too Many levels to deal with.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I am really having second thoughts on this. I think I spent so much of my time fighting for this, that I didn't take enough time to research it. I am in terrible pain most of the time. I don't know that I can go through with this. It sounds like torture and I had such a bad time with the spinal tap that I had nightmares about it for months following it.

He said he isn't considering me for any future surgeries. Only in office, pain management type procedures. I wish there was an alternative to this and being in extreme pain.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Hey...check this thread too , that was posted on here on the Back problems board.. http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=18524

Ive done the mylogram and MY O MY...I wouldnt wish that on ANYONE ! EVER !!! Worse than labor ! ..SERIOUSLY !!!..
    Then I have read that the discogram is WAY worse ! MAN !!!

If you have pain meds..be sure ( if your DR says its OK , to take a dose that will coincide with the test because youre a gonna need it !!!!!!!!

If you do go ahead and have it done, please let us know how it went for you ! .. People have different tolerances to things so you never know !!!

Good luck !!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #8
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonmanx View Post
    My quick history:
    my back.
    Currently The pain continues to get worse, the meds are less effective. I'm desperate for relief from the constant pain.
    The doctors are telling me everything has been done and I need to deal with it.

I'm stuck in bed 95% of the time and mainly only get out to make it to Doctor's appointments and aqua therapy twice a week which I miss quite a bit because it's too painful to get there. I'm hoping the discogram will give them some idea of where to focus on. Am I expecting too much from this?
    Matt
    hello. I never tried discogram. From what I understand it really hurts but you suffer so much for already 12 years so I don't think it can hurt much more. They will at least know why you suffer so much, they will know if it's coming from the disks or not.

I'm really sick and tired with all this pain so I'm really sympathised with your situation. Mine is pain in the neck and it's really bad.

Why they don't give you meds like morphium or oxycontin? I wonder, there is medication called avinza and some people in this forum say it really helps them. Those are the strongest for chronic pain from what I understand.

There are also nerve pain meds like neurontin and lyrica. so far I find neurontin better than lyrica.

It's not good to be stuck in bed 95% of the time. you need to find another doctor dont' let them tell you you are a lost cause

Last edited by nochange; 10-21-2009 at 06:17 AM.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
    3yearhurt
    (female)

3yearhurt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuvMyPittie View Post

Ive done the mylogram and MY O MY...I wouldnt wish that on ANYONE ! EVER !!! Worse than labor ! ..SERIOUSLY !!!..
    Then I have read that the discogram is WAY worse ! MAN !!!
    Ok so the mylogram is really painful also? I've had the discogram and could never do that again! I have a mylogram scheduled for this tuesday... I didn't know that one was painful?!?! But I know it's necessary so I guess I font have much of a choice. Besides, how bad can it be, right? :-/

Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
    3yearhurt
    (female)

3yearhurt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonmanx

He said he isn't considering me for any future surgeries. Only in office, pain management type procedures. I wish there was an alternative to this and being in extreme pain.
    Did your doctor say why he wanted to have the discogram done if he isn't considering you for any future surgeries? I am by no means an expert but I've always understood that the point of the discogram is to basically double check the source of the pain. Let me give you a little assurance if it really is necessary for you to have it done, although it is very painful when they actually perform the procedure, they were able to make me somewhat comfortable afterwards, the pain meds they gave me brought the pain to about a 6, which as I'm sure you know isn't great but it's definetly tolerable. So don't fret too much and if he assures you that he really thinks it's necessary, I'll say a prayer for you :-) keep us posted.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3yearhurt View Post
    Ok so the mylogram is really painful also? I've had the discogram and could never do that again! I have a mylogram scheduled for this tuesday... I didn't know that one was painful?!?! But I know it's necessary so I guess I font have much of a choice. Besides, how bad can it be, right? :-/

They tirned me upside down , so to speak, tilted the bed to make the dye go to my neck and OMG...My blood pressure shot up so high because of the pain, I thought my head was going to explode...I was hurting SOOOOO BAD I couldnt cry... I had asked a nurse if this hurt and she said no...SHE LIED, HOWEVER, she did a some kind of shot waiting for me when the ordeal was over

WORSE than labor and Ive given birth more than never ......I have no idea what makes the mylegram hurt so bad but MY O MY !!! ....My heart was pounding for at least 45 mins to and hour after !!

Read up on it and see if maybe theres anything you can do to help aleviate the pain associated with the procedure..

Please let me(us) know how it goes for you...Hopefully you can handle better it or dont have an experience like I did !!!

Last edited by LuvMyPittie; 10-22-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: ....

Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Avinza a couple months ago and it made me extremely nauseated and didn't really help more than what I have been on. I don't tolerate many pain meds very well unfortunately.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
    spoonmanx
    (male)

spoonmanx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3yearhurt View Post
    Did your doctor say why he wanted to have the discogram done if he isn't considering you for any future surgeries? I am by no means an expert but I've always understood that the point of the discogram is to basically double check the source of the pain. Let me give you a little assurance if it really is necessary for you to have it done, although it is very painful when they actually perform the procedure, they were able to make me somewhat comfortable afterwards, the pain meds they gave me brought the pain to about a 6, which as I'm sure you know isn't great but it's definetly tolerable. So don't fret too much and if he assures you that he really thinks it's necessary, I'll say a prayer for you :-) keep us posted.
    My doctor mentioned a possible IDET to go along with my SCS device, but
    the insurance company has refused to even consider it and even the WC judge said she is skeptical of me having another device implanted. So after all of this.. the discogram might be for nothing!

I am not sure if I should have just gone through with this blindly or not. I try to read up on everything and prepare, but I was hoping to hear something different. I guess I sort of expected this.

I am mostly at an 8 pain-wise and thinking about it going to a 10 is really scaring me. Is there no way for them to do this with conscious sedation?
    I don't think they were able to use that during a spinal tap, because it might mess up their spinal fluid sample, but why not for such a painful test like this?

I think I read that they will give you something to calm you, but I don't think it's anything more than what I already take.

So does it continue to hurt more even after the test is done? I had a steroid injection a few years ago that made my legs hurt so much I could barely stand it. It felt like an extreme pressure pushing from the inside out. I don't want to go through that again.

Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm stuck here. I really don't want to have a discogram, but I need to do something. I would be happy if I could just lay down without extreme pain. I look forward to sleep each night since it's the only relief I ever get and so very little of that too.

Has anyone had good results with the steroid injections after having 10 or so without any relief? Should I not give up on these yet?

Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
    marbelmo
    (male)

marbelmo HB User

If they are not considering surgery or another option that is going to be feasible for you there is NO need to put yourself through a painful and expensive discogram. Call it off!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Ive had SOOOOOOO amny steroid injection, that i have told my PM, ' I KNOW its your job to ask/ suggest, but FORGET it..they dont do anything AT ALL for me "....except I gained 5 lbs on ea and it made me SOO moody ( according to my husband..MOODIER..HA)

Anyways, if they could do the mylegram or discogram sedated , I have no idea of why they havnt anyone.....

The shot I got AFTER the fact made my blood pressure go back down ( not to normal) and it calmed and the made the mylegram induced pain subside somewhat...It was a total and complete different pain than my ruptured discs

I hate to dwell on the negative but boy howdy, it hurts....

and perhaps if like marbelmo said, if they arent considering surgery or another feasible option , why go thru it ? ....Im wondering if theyre looking at the insurance payout and W/C ? I hate to think like that but maybe ???

Keep us updated !!

Last edited by LuvMyPittie; 10-22-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Closed Thread