It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• Dr changed doseage and insurance won't pay

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
    Waylonh84
    (male)

Waylonh84 HB User
    Dr changed doseage and insurance won't pay

Ol I had a knee surgery an my surgeon was out of town until today may 2nd and the covering dr who does treat me gave me 60 which according to my dr is a five day supply and today is the fifth day. I turned in my written rx from my dr but the insurance says the covering dr wrote it for 10 days which is 6 a day my primary dr put it in as 12 a day. The surgery I had he says it's one of most painful ones he wanted me on percoset but I do have problems with them and I don't want to be on something as strong as that so I had him put me on Norco... The pharmacy called insurance an asked them to over right it cause the pharmacy talked to my dr and he told them that he has me taking 2 every 4 hours... It's a workcomp case so they said they have to call the adjuster to approve it... I will have one dose for the morning what is the likelihood the adjuster denies the refill given the history of my rx all say 2 every four hours. My dr even told me today with me taking Norco over the percoset that more than likely I will end up taking 2-3 more than 12 a day an if I really need it that he is ok with it but can legally only perscribe me 12 a day. He tried getting me to stay on percoset 10/325 but I m affraid I ll develope a addiction to them I asked him today how long til I can start tapering off he said I should be atleast 3 month post op before I taper down!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
    HaZeX
    (male)

HaZeX HB User
    Re: Dr changed doseage and insurance won't pay

Heres just a suggestion, When I was on percocets, my out of pocket cost was a little over $100 for 60tabs. If cost is an issue I would suggest switching to straight oxycodone, its MUCH cheaper. Plus your taking 650mg of acetaminophen at a time, Im assuming that the Norocs have 325mg of APAP also, so if you stay with the percocet (I assume 12 a day, 2*325=650*12=7800). Thats 7,800mg of acetaminophen daily, thats HORRIBLE for you. Max you should take at time is 1,000mg with a 4,000mg a day limit, but you should not come close to that even. Like I said straight oxycodone would be best

Just for reference, if insurance does accept it, I Pay $52 for Oxycodone 30mg 120 tabs, thats at rite aid without insurance.

Last edited by HaZeX; 05-03-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

OK your thinking on this is a little skewed....you can become addicted to Norco just as easily as Percocet. Norco is Hydrocodone and Tylenol, just like Vicodin. Percocet is Oxycodone and Tylenol.

If you were on the Percocet you'd probably only have to take 4 or 5 pills a day, as to the 12 - 15 Norco's your having to take a day. That's 4,875mgs of Tylenol, the max safe daily allowance for Tylenol is 2000mg, over that and your heading for Kidney and Liver trouble....your doctor knows this, yet he's got you on 4,875mgs. of Tylenol a day, that's rather worrisome.

As for the addiction problem you mentioned, you will not be on these meds long enough to become addicted unless you keep taking them after your Dr. tells you to stop. They will only give them to you for a couple of months max. You may develop some kind of a small dependence on them, but not enough to cause you serious harm or trouble. At the rate of 15 Norco a day, you will become dependent on it way faster than 4 or 5 Percocet a day.

Kat

Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HaZeX View Post
    Heres just a suggestion, When I was on percocets, my out of pocket cost was a little over $100 for 60tabs. If cost is an issue I would suggest switching to straight oxycodone, its MUCH cheaper. Plus your taking 650mg of acetaminophen at a time, Im assuming that the Norocs have 325mg of APAP also, so if you stay with the percocet (I assume 12 a day, 2*325=650*12=7800). Thats 7,800mg of acetaminophen daily, thats HORRIBLE for you. Max you should take at time is 1,000mg with a 4,000mg a day limit, but you should not come close to that even. Like I said straight oxycodone would be best

Just for reference, if insurance does accept it, I Pay $52 for Oxycodone 30mg 120 tabs, thats at rite aid without insurance.
    Ortho surgeons don't give oxycodone for knee surgeries, Percocet is as strong as he'll be able to get. And just an FYI, in 2010 the FDA changed the safe daily max allowance of Tylenol to 2000 mg.

Closed Thread