It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• Chronic Knee Pain and Lack of Medical Support

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
    wschippr
    (male)

wschippr HB User
    Chronic Knee Pain and Lack of Medical Support

Hello all,
    I am a new to the boards, I am from Canada originally from the Niagara region (about 15 minutes from the US border). Anyway when I was younger, perhaps eight years old or so I started developing knee pain. I was taken to my GP who said it was growing pains. Well it didn't go away when I stopped growing, they then switched the diagnosis to patella femoral pain syndrome. I did the gauntlet of treatments for that syndrome (physical therapy being the primary method of treatment).
    ***Treatments for PFPS*
    Physical Therapy
    Chiropractor consultation and regiment
    Podiatrist
    Physiatrist
    and Finally an orthopaedic surgeon

Of course they would not do surgery till I was skeletally mature, so they prescribed me anti-inflammatories and left me in pain for years, my GP actually said that the pain wouldn't kill me.

Well I turned 20, had my first surgery (scope and lateral release) and there was no difference in my pain levels (also my pain continued to rise through the years, slowly but steadily). I became increasing distressed and loss functionality as the years progressed, now I was at an all time low, depression became apparent to me and others around me, I sought treatment for this as well as my pain.

I was given an anti-depressant, it did not work as expected, within a week my mood became erratic and I switched into a mixed episode. Since I had suicidal ideation before and now had a surplus of energy hospitalization was required (also being in chronic pain and a young male made my likelihood of attempt and succeeding higher). Long story short, I have bipolar disorder. Which required other hospital stays as I am almost never stay on my bipolar medication, due to side-effects. Also turns out pain can kill you when your primary reason for wanting to commit suicide is relentless pain, so doctor was wrong. *Note I am not depressed at the moment, nor am I suicidal*

Now that that side story is over (it becomes important later) lets get back to pain, well I now see a psychiatrist and a psychologist and have done numerous forms of psychotherapy. Both of which discuss my pain and how it relates to mood and vice versa. Well my GP tried to treat my pain with various other drugs, Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurotonin, Amitryptaline, Flexeril, a compound cream that contains over a dozen active ingredients, more anti-inflammatories, steroid injections, and various sedation medications to try and regulate my sleeping patterns and improve my quality of sleep all of which have been unsuccessful.

I had a second surgery a fulkersons oestonomy which was also unsuccessful and tried yet again more physical therapy. I was told that opiates were not indicated for chronic musco-skeletal pain and that since I had bipolar and that my father was an alcoholic I would not prescribe narcotics as they wouldn't be helpful, would not increase my functionality or increase the quality of my life and that the risk of addiction was extremely high (even though I have never abused any substances).

Also I had lost over 50kg, which I gained due to inactivity due to pain, because they said it would help, it didn't really help much but it did slow the progression rate down slightly. I keep a pain diary (well kind of its an extension of my mood log), I have been told that my pain is due to my bipolar illness, even when I am not currently having an episode (I have also explained to them that my pain is actually reduced when I am depressed, because my pain is aggravated by movement and when depressed I stay in bed for 16-20 hours a day). I have been told repeatedly that its not important that I should just start exercising (which I actually do exercise so that point is moot), and that there is nothing that can be done. Repeatedly I told my doctor that quality of life is important that at some point I will find that the balance between pain and worth of life will tip, he says that would be due to my bipolar illness and not the pain (I told him that my psychiatrist says that my pain probably precipitates a lot of my mood swings, but he actually ignores me when I say that, not just him either other doctors have as well).

He sent me to a PM doctor, I see them this coming Monday. I don't feel terrible optimistic about it as it looks like from the package that they sent me that it will be primarily physical therapy and psychotherapy, all of which have been tried repeatedly. It seems that I am in a hopeless situation, I supposedly cannot be treated with pain medication, other alternative treatments have failed, I have no more surgical options, and now I am staring at PM that doesn't use opiate use (even though I ask my GP to refer me to one that did not exclude it, because really that is ridiculous, why would you exclude a form of treatment that has been shown clinically to work?)

I do not believe my behaviour demonstrates drug seeking behaviour, I have been seen by the same doctor for 16 years (except when I am at school I use there's, which is in communication with my doctor from home) a drug seeker wouldn't try to convince the same doctor to give them pain medication for 16 years unsuccessfully and I highly doubt that an eight year old would either.

So now I feel lost, I dropped out of university because I kept missing classes, I have not been able to maintain a job for the same reason and the only response I get is that I should just get over it and learn to deal with it. I know that expecting to be pain free is unlikely but bring my pain down so that I can function and get enjoyment out of life doesn't seem like it is an unreasonable request. If it wasn't for parental support I would be destitute by now.
    I am scared for my future, I don't see my situation improving, based on my history it is likely that I will deteriorate further. Oh and now my diagnosis has shifted from PFPS to Chronic Muscoskeletal Pain NOS...

Last edited by wschippr; 07-12-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
    waters04
    (female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User
    Re: Chronic Knee Pain and Lack of Medical Support

Hi, just wanted to reply to your message.

I don't think pain meds are contraindicated in bipolar people. I have bipolar I disorder and also fibromyalgia. My rheumy didn't want to put me on any Cymbalta or Savella or a lot of the drugs because I end up manic. I told him he could talk to my psychiatrist if he wanted, but he ended up putting me on Celebrex, a non-narcotic anti-inflamatory. Then when I ended up getting sick from it, he prescribed hydrocodone, which has worked well and has NOT interferred with my moods. So there's always that possibility.

I'm new to the whole PM thing and these boards but I just wanted to let you know there is still much more things they can try. Is it possible to find another doc not in your area who wouldn't have talked to any of the ones you saw?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
    wschippr
    (male)

wschippr HB User

Hello, thanks for answering.
    The long answer is yes, the short answer is no.
    I live in Canada and we have a doctor shortage, so getting a new GP would be difficult (I know a few people who cannot find one, although its rare). But it is also likely that I would be turned away from a new practice once they discovered I have chronic pain, the medical facility that I had at my school had to see me, and even then I had two doctors straight up tell me that they weren't going to treat it and go back to my family doctor back home.

I can take anti-depressants if I am on a mood stabilizer first, but I have to be on one for a few months beforehand and the medication is usually fairly terrible and at least seroquel and lithium did not stop a depressive episode from occurring. My doctor didn't say that narcotics are a contradiction to bipolar (although they are depressants), he said that my statistical risk of addiction was extremely high due to several factors (such as bipolar, family history of substance abuse, age and gender) and that narcotics simply do not work for chronic pain, that there is no evidence to suggest that it increases quality of life or functionality (I did call him out on it and asked to see clinical studies that supported that, as I have read the opposite in pain journals, but he just said those are funded by pharmaceutical companies and are biased).

Its just frustrating, it seems like my pain is dismissed or that its because I have a mental illness and thus not worthy of their attention. I am hoping that the PM centre is able to help, but since its been going on for so long I am not expecting a whole lot. I also think the ambiguity of my condition is causing some hesitation, as from a medical stand point I really shouldn't be in pain. Like the surgeon says that my kneecap is not aligned correctly but it shouldn't be causing me any real issues. They know that my cartilage is worn-out, but once again that shouldn't be causing me this much distress. But I tell them that doesn't mean my pain isn't valid or significant... I am at a loss

Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
    waters04
    (female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wschippr View Post

Its just frustrating, it seems like my pain is dismissed or that its because I have a mental illness and thus not worthy of their attention. I am hoping that the PM centre is able to help, but since its been going on for so long I am not expecting a whole lot. I also think the ambiguity of my condition is causing some hesitation, as from a medical stand point I really shouldn't be in pain. Like the surgeon says that my kneecap is not aligned correctly but it shouldn't be causing me any real issues. They know that my cartilage is worn-out, but once again that shouldn't be causing me this much distress. But I tell them that doesn't mean my pain isn't valid or significant... I am at a loss

I do know the feeling of having your pain dismissed because of mental illness. I've been told so many times when I lived in Louisiana that my pain was just from the depression, and they'd refuse to even help. When I moved to TX, i ended up in the psych hospital and that psychiatrist ended up referring me to a PCP who believed me and sent me to a rheumy, where I'm finally getting the care I need. But for many years I was just passed off as another nutcase.

I hope you'll have good luck with the PM centre. Just don't give up. You know your pain is real. Some docs just see bipolar or depression and brush you off. But there are always the ones out their that don't.

Closed Thread