It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• Other Med Alternatives?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
    JadedKarma
    (female)

JadedKarma HB User
    Other Med Alternatives?

Hi,

My Mom has been in PM for about 10yrs now and has some health issues that are making her pain a lot worse. She was on 4 Norco 10/325's a day and that wasn't cutting it so last visit they put her on 4 Percocet 10/325's a day and she doesn't feel like it's doing as much as the Norco did. The pharmacy tech told her that Percocet is in the Morphine family which she is allergic to but the Percocet hasn't made her have any reactions.

She's waiting to get surgery for masses on her kidneys and a cyst on her uterus. She also has bulged discs, digestive disorders from how she was born and has bad adhesion in her stomach area from surgeries which she had been trying to get removed until a few years ago. Each surgeon would tell her no and that they would just come back worse. She's also dealing with a broken shoulder. I feel so bad for her.

Does anyone here know of any other pain meds that might help her that would be stronger then Norco but not in the morphine family? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
    JadedKarma
    (female)

JadedKarma HB User
    Re: Other Med Alternatives?

I thought mentioning the other PM meds she's on may help.

Meloxicam 7.5mg 2 x a day
    Flexeril 10mg 3 x a day
    Neurontin 300mg 4 x a day
    Remeron 15mg 2 at night.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear karma, Most narcotics are opium based or opioids & there are some synthetics as well, i thought i was allergic to demerol, an opioid, but i had a side effect not a true allergy & am able to take morphine just fine. If i were you I would find out if she had a true allergy because being truly allergic will narrow the choices for pain relief significantly. I had nausea & vomiting which is a side effect. This is an excellent question to discuss with her pm dr. I hope that she can find some relief soon.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
    JadedKarma
    (female)

JadedKarma HB User

Well I'm back to report results. Meant to reply again before but kept forgetting.

After reading on and off for awhile I notice a lot of people seem to post and never return though. Granted it's mostly the people who come telling those stories to gauge reaction.

My Mom knows she is allergic to Morphine due to almost dying after having a really bad reaction to it in a hospital in the 70's after obstruction surgery. So there's not much doubt when it comes to that.

The NP at the PM's office prescribed my Mom Methadone 5mg twice a day. She wanted her to taper off the Oxycodone. She told her take 1 Methadone a day for 5 days then go up to 2 a day and re-prescribed her Nocro for breakthrough pain. All the had for breakthrough pain before was the Meloxicam which wasn't really cutting it. They didn't take it away though.

The Methadone is making her really tired though. Does that go away over time? I'm kind of worried about her being on so many meds from that office. I have NO problem with her being on meds. It's just the amount of them in addition to other meds she is on that aren't related to PM.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
    JadedKarma
    (female)

JadedKarma HB User

Methadone is made by Roxane.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-10-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Jaded Karma, Oxycodone is a synthetic just like hydrocodone and methadone. How oxy and morphine are alike is that they are both considered class 2 medications that require written scripts and aren't allowed refills. If your mom was allergic to morphine it would be more likely she would be allergic to something in the same family as morphine like codeine, both are non synthetic.

Methadone does take 5 days to build up and develop a stable serum level. How she feels on the 5th day will be similar to how she would feel if she had taken twice as much in a single dose. It's not in the same family as morphine but does tend to be more sedating. It works better on nerve pain but again.,, you have to go slow and give it time to allow your mom to accomadate to the side effects like drowsiness.Some side effects generally get better with time but some don't, it just depends on the person and the drug.

Oxy is considered a stronger med than hydrocodone so going from 10 of one to 10 of another most people feel the increase, again, most doesn't mean all. Oxy and hydro can actually be a bit stimulating where methadone is very sedating and takes time for most people to a adjust too, but she is on a very low dose, so her doc is playing it very safe with her pain meds.
    Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-15-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: grammer

Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I believe Roxanne still has the patent on name brand methadone "Dolophine" but it is made by several other manufacturers as a generic.Its dirt cheap compared to the other long acting meds.
    Dave

Closed Thread