It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

So Much Pain... So Little Hope

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
Exclamation So Much Pain... So Little Hope

I have been through surgeries and treatments for almost half my life. I am left with severe chronic pain, both muscular and skeletal. I have what is described as phantom pain in my pelvic area, though it feels very real to me. I have 0 days without pain. I recently tried to seek treatment with new doctors, and was made to feel like I was psychotic. I don't know where to turn for help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: So Much Pain... So Little Hope

Sorry you are struggling. You aren't alone. Keep trying new doctors until someone is helpful. It took me years to find a good set of doctors unfortunately. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
WhistleDixie (09-05-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
gmak
Senior Veteran
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi dixie, I have 0 days without pain since 1998, probably before & i had to go to a pain dr & get put on long term meds, long acting narcotic with breakthru, the fentanyl patch like you were on before your dr retired & for me as well it is like a miracle. Please let me encourage you to go to a physical medicine & rehab dr & put all the endo seeking treatment behind you & tell them that the patch worked once upon a time & that you are looking for relief like that again & let the dr help you finally because thats what i had to do & thank God it still works.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
WhistleDixie (09-07-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

gmak,

WHERE do I start to find a doctor that will treat my pain? I just posted for recommendations in my state.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
gmak
Senior Veteran
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

When i was looking i went to the american academy of physical medicine & rehab or american board of physiatry & they have the drs listed by state. I did not want a pain mgmt anesthesiologist because i cannot have epidural injections but for more drs in your area that are trained in pain management look up american academy of pain medicine or just put in pain management drs or physical medicine & rehab drs & your area, then all the evaluation of dr sites come up, pick one & start looking at education, services provided, i personally wouldnt look at interventional pain mgmt drs because in my experience they do injections only that i cant have. I wanted one dr in one location so that helped me remove alot of names, i wanted a dr that went to school in the U.S. & that helped me weed out more. You remember what i posted about my physiatrist dr & what they provide?

Last edited by gmak; 09-06-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typos, info

Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

Yes, everything you've said makes sense. I, too have looked up some names online, but I didn't know how to "weed out" the ones who do injections or homeopathic or actual pain meds. Another problem for me is finding an American educated/trained doctor that not only provides comprehensive care, but also one with whom I can have clear communication and dialogue. I just feel so lost and hopeless.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
gmak
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi dixie, There is a free booklet on computer that you can read called " What to do while looking for a good pain doctor" by Dr. Forest Tennant that has useful information.

Last edited by gmak; 09-06-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
west coast sun
(female)

west coast sun HB User

The easiest way to weed out doctors is to call them. Simply ask the receptionist what the doctor's specialty is and does he/she prescribe medications, including opioids.

Last edited by west coast sun; 09-07-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
karlee10
(female)

karlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB User
Wink Re: So Much Pain... So Little Hope

Hi Dixie. The way I found my Dr. is by using a certain search engine (hope I'm allowed to say it that way, when I said the search engine's name I got into trouble here) I typed in my own zip code that my house is at, along with "Dr. pain management" and the pain management Drs. closest to your house show up. It worked great for me! I like how the person above me answered you about calling them and asking specific questions, like what they specialize in. Great idea! I hope this helps you out.

The Following User Says Thank You to karlee10 For This Useful Post:
WhistleDixie (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
gmak
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistleDixie View Post
Yes, everything you've said makes sense. I, too have looked up some names online, but I didn't know how to "weed out" the ones who do injections or homeopathic or actual pain meds. Another problem for me is finding an American educated/trained doctor that not only provides comprehensive care, but also one with whom I can have clear communication and dialogue. I just feel so lost and hopeless.
Im sorry i just saw this post. When weeding out i dont write down their contact info on the list i am making of "possible drs" that seem to meet the criteria im looking for in a dr. Unfortunately, there are only clues because you cant tell a book by its cover! Im sorry this task is overwhelming you & i totally understand because i have been there & as more & more pcp's utilize pain mgmt the more people have to make the change because traditionally what we had before is gone but there are still very good drs out there! Imho, the pain & suffering are bigger than the obstacles of negotiating pain management! You can do this! Every person ahead of you understands & its hard to face the fear, i cried everytime but realized we have to go forward to find help because help is not in the past but the future.

Last edited by gmak; 09-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: gmak
WhistleDixie (09-11-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
WhistleDixie
Inactive
(female)

Gmak,

I'm working on it, believe me. My WiFi went down this afternoon. I don't know how long before I have my internet/phone service back up and running. I'll check back when I can. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #12
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
i wanted a dr that went to school in the U.S.
I agree.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #13
galalena
Inactive
(female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

That might be a bit limiting and self defeating. My PM is egyptian and did start as an anesthesiologist, but then trained through the PM program at one of the very best pain programs in this country. Yes I have to listen closely to what he says but he is compassionate. I would have missed a good thing if I had dismissed him off the bat because of where he went to school.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #14
gmak
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi dixie, FyI: if a dr did their pain training in the U.S. but did medical school elsewhere this Would be a dr who i would write down on my " possiblity list of drs" because that Is being a U.S. trained physician! I have a package deal on cable, internet & phone & it is so frustrating when all 3 go out! Im sorry & hopefully back up now!

Closed Thread

Tags
bone/joint, pain management, pelvic pain