It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• Ho-Ho-Hope?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: Ho-Ho-Hope?

Hi dixie, My husbands family is large, we have 30, from age 9 months to 91, all sit down for Thanksgiving at my SIL's house after my MIL became unable to do it. We had the great divide between the people who wanted traditional food & the healthy eaters even on holidays so she makes a menu & doles out the traditional dishes to be brought by the ones that can make them correctly & gives the others dishes like green salad, baked sweet potatoes, corn on cob, to the healthy cooks or novices & it makes for a variety of great food to be thankful for & the people can just eat the food they brought plus or minus turkey & dressing if they want! It works for us, its alot of work but i think God must add a touch of grace because the football fans, nap takers, tipsy dont help much with clean up but everyone is happy! My drs mantra to me is to modify my expectations meaning on myself & others & that means doing only what i can do or i will be at home alone in pain! Learning to cut yourself a break & give one to others & still participate is definitely a process that i havent perfected either but it helps me to keep thinking that everyone is doing the best they can & then add in that grace again! Sometimes i think the most important thing especially when I'm in pain is to just keep trying! Oh & that my "new broken" best has to be good enough for me.
    P.s. One other thing i forgot is my dr told me to imagine my "ability to do things" like a bank account. If it doesnt have very much in it to go on a budget & cut out the "extras"!

Last edited by gmak; 01-14-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: p.s.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
    WhistleDixie (01-14-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #17
    SK59
    (female)

SK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB User

Boy, do I know about catering to everyone's specific diet!! One of my brothers family is vegan, my other brother is vegetarian and the rest of us are on a "regular" diet. My father has had to cut out dairy and gluten because of his ulcerative colitis so the holidays are an adventure!
    I tell my vegan brother's family to bring a vegan main dish and I make another main dish and then try to make side dishes that everyone can eat. My sister-in-law brings desserts that everyone can eat and between all of us, we make it happen.
    Gmak, I like the bank analogy-if you don't have it to give, you have to cut it. I need to get better at following that advice!

We do what we can-we have to give grace to ourselves and to others as well. Next year I'm simplifying the whole holiday season!

SK

Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #18
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Hey Cspine...I'm wondering about your follow-up visit to the doctor. Has it occurred yet? I'm hopeful your soreness and bruising has improved. Please keep us posted and feel free to join this conversation thread ANYTIME. Feel better=)

Gmak...It sounds as if you have a "system" worked out for holidays, the most significant detail being that your SIL hosts the family Thanksgiving (at her house...not yours) It's nice that she's willing to host and encourage others to cook, bring food and participate. I'm glad it all works out for your family.

I still don't think y'all get the gist of what I'm saying. I have NO volunteers, NO ONE to delegate to (avoidance), NO ONE who even wants to come together IF it means they have to contribute IN ANY WAY. I don't think I've made myself clear. IF I do ALL the work, they'll show up to eat...critique the meal, and leave. I have asked for things as simple as ice and drinks...no way...desserts? are you kidding...generic broken cookies, leftover cake from church, pie or cake that's already been eaten out of, or both that are freezer burned. Side dishes? not...I've given specific recipes for traditional dishes we all love. They cut the ingredients by half when they should be doubling the recipes for our crowd. It's shameful and pathetic. My bunch will eat you out of house and home while making fun of your house and home=)

As for "special diets"...vegan or otherwise, I see that provision as the responsibility of the party who chooses that diet. I don't cater to specific diets. I don't feel I should have to. I provide good quality Turkeys, Turkey Breasts, Smoked Ham, casseroles, stuffing, dressing, potatoes, brown gravy and giblet gravy, congealed salads, green salads, garden vegetables, cranberry apricot walnut chutney, rolls, rustic breads, iced tea, coffee and sodas. I also make a world of homemade candies, cookies, and massive layer cakes and pies for everyone to enjoy. There is little if any gratitude and certainly no grace.

So, I must be doing something wrong=( I have been in the "red" of my health account since before personalized checks=) Thank God for providing overdraft protection, cause He KNOWS my body can't cash the checks my heart keeps writing. I am well on my way to being used up, period. There's no one to pass the torch to...No one wants it.

SK...It's good to hear from you. Hope you're feeling stronger everyday.

Thank all of you for your thoughts and experiences. Keep them coming, please!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #19
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi dixie, i have had large gatherings at my house & my SIL has a right hand man,me! Just wanted to possibly help by offering a new idea, making a menu & asking for help by asking people to bring certain recipes or what they like to eat. Im so sorry but i had no idea that if you didnt cook they wouldnt show up. I get it now, i think. You are saying none of your family are acting the way that you were taught families should act toward each other & they were taught the same values by the same parents? So, its not just very tiring but very confusing but despite their actions you want to do the right thing for your family even if they dont act right to you but imho to meet their expectations sounds like way beyond any cp patients capability that i know of but if you dont do it then there would be no family gathering for holidays, I sympathize & i wish i had a great answer or word of wisdom to help you. Maybe this is why manners & etiquette were invented, to me manners are grace, imho & your family members arent acting very mannerly gathering from what you have said. Of course no family is perfect!. I did Christmas dinner for 25 years at my house but when i could no longer do it my brothers family readily took it on! I wish that you had some volunteers too. We travel there & take my mom or she wouldnt get to have Christmas with all her kids & grandkids! I have to say to myself its just one day sometimes when i feel to bad to make it!!.One thing life with pain has taught me is that no one can physically make me do anything, im the one that makes me "overdo". It seems like a predicament that results in heartache or physical ache & i wonder if a counselor maybe able to offer a way to acceptance, resolution or solution. Is there any "middle" ground for communication with your family members to possibly make another plan or ask questions or inform them of your feelings or condition? Ivea realized that we all have to take the time & make the effort to go & be with family in order to make family memories. Is it a hassle to get ready & go to weddings, graduations, birthdays, etc? I say yes, having that memory is worth all of the effort to me. But, people do what they want to do. My parents used that saying that" you cant please all of the people all of the time" & im sorry those people are your family & hope that good will come from all that you have prepared & done for them for them.

Last edited by gmak; 01-15-2014 at 12:26 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
    WhistleDixie (01-15-2014)
    Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #20
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

Thanks again gmak...Yes, in my family 10% do 90% of the work. I just can't do it any more. I know this but I've tried almost every alternative to ask for help on so many fronts. I'm not trying to belabor the point, truly. I just need to have a "new" plan for my husband and myself this year, moving forward. My mom @ 87, won't be alive to celebrate many more holidays. It makes me so sad that no one acknowledges this fact.

I have to learn to LIVE the serenity prayer, but it's a lonely pathway.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
    galalena
    Inactive
    (female)

galalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB Usergalalena HB User

just got to chime in and say i wish I could complain. Between deaths and my son going MIA with his new bride, my family is miniscule. I had a very tough holiday season, the only sunshine was my daughter who came home for a couple weeks and of course my long patient husband. I'd give anything to prepare a big meal for family, even if most of them are challenges! Bah humbug. Just goes to show we all have our challenges, on top of the 24/7 physical suffering. :-(

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to galalena For This Useful Post:
    gmak (01-16-2014),SK59 (01-16-2014)
    Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
    SK59
    (female)

SK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by galalena View Post
    just got to chime in and say i wish I could complain. Between deaths and my son going MIA with his new bride, my family is miniscule. I had a very tough holiday season, the only sunshine was my daughter who came home for a couple weeks and of course my long patient husband. I'd give anything to prepare a big meal for family, even if most of them are challenges! Bah humbug. Just goes to show we all have our challenges, on top of the 24/7 physical suffering. :-(
    Galalena,
    I understand about holidays and death/sadness-my husband's family went through a very tragic period & he has very little family left. It makes the holidays tough but as you said, we do get through them and we love those around us the best we can.

SK

Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #23
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

I'm sorry if my feelings are misconstrued as "complaining". Galalena, I share your heartbreak and wishes for a FAMILY meal together. I understand and relate to your feelings of loneliness and sadness with loss, whether through death or strained relationships. I, too, long for what I've described in previous posts whether on this thread or my thread entitled "Not thankful for Thanksgiving". I do now and always have tried to bend (and often break...then shatter) to bring my family together. I know that life is precious (though increasingly painful). I know that my mom @ 87 will not be here much longer. I don't want to live with regret IF I reach my "twilight years".

Our family history is one of verbal and physical abuse from both parents. My mom (even @ 87) is still filled with a need to lash out. However, she is the only mom we will ever have. We are battered little babies in grown up bodies. While I understand my siblings' apathy and avoidance, I don't agree with it. I just feel that I should be able to make it ALL better.

I've tried to appeal to them from the standpoint of "We only see each other at funerals"...We had 11 close family member (including my dad) deaths in 9 months (2 were suicides). There were some of us who were estranged for 6+ years. The "divide" has widened with my mom's manipulations since 2005. I weep for my brothers and sisters. I want us to come together to celebrate the "living" while we still can. We cannot change the past. I BEG my family and BRIBE my family to love me. I put my own health in jeopardy for my mom and my siblings.

Yes, perhaps a more "sane" person would say "forget it" with all the moods and attitudes I tolerate. I can't. I maintain a DR that seats 10, with accommodations for upwards of 20 at a secondary farmhouse table. I WELCOME ALL and love to have my home filled with the "sounds" of family...even my SIL who hates all things "southern"...including my brother=(

I never meant to complain as such. I just wanted a thread for people to express their less than perfect "family" issues as they try to find balance. The holidays are a time that I SO WANT to enjoy with family. I know that a time will come when I will be visited by the ghosts of Christmas past (already am) and present (already am). I fear that the future will be a holiday for 2...my husband and myself. For him I am grateful, all through the year. I am painfully aware that although 2 is lonely...1 is more so. I must not meditate so much on the family that I don't have with me that I fail to CELEBRATE the one that is always here with me. He is perfectly content for just the two of us to spend the holidays alone with our fir kids. I should be too.

gmak...I know that you cope with chronic pain issues, yet are always there to support others. I admire your grace. I apologize for my perceived bitterness.

galalena...I admire your strength and perseverance, too. I've read your posts, too. Although I cannot begin to feel the suffering you have endured, I do understand long suffering, pain and the chaos of seeking treatment. I'm sorry for the issues with your son, but I'm thankful your daughter was with you and your husband.

Perhaps in the year 2014, God will bless us every one and bring our families back together=)

Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Hello SK...I just saw your post on this thread. I'm sorry also for your sadness and loss. I feel a kinship with your "overdoing" to the point of hospitalization. I pray that you are feeling even a little better. I know that your health issues are many, yet you endure with kindness.

I know the sense of loss and pain felt by your husband, though mine has been somewhat "healed" with the passage of time. The holidays bring a sadness for him, but he never expresses it. He keeps his feelings and memories bottled up inside. I understand, too, with my husband being an only child whose father died when he was 16. His mother has been in a mental health facility since 1997. He has no "side" of his family. There's no one there to fill in the blank spaces left by my "side" of the family.

INDEED...We must love those around us as best we can.

Last edited by WhistleDixie; 01-15-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #25
    cspineguy
    (male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User

Hi WhistleDixie,
    You shouldn't feel that you are complaining. Family can be so cruel and selfish. I still haven't seen my family for the holidays and haven't been able to give my little nieces their presents. The other day i got a txt from my brother about this weekend. Again expecting me to drive to his house. I was beyond mad. I have had a horrible week of pain and on Friday had to make a trip to see our lawyer which is an hour train ride in very cold weather. This as put me in even more pain this weekend and haven't been able to do much.
    So to get back to the txt, I replied back that I couldn't drive there, but if they wanted to come by they where more then welcome. Guess what, no one has showed yet! I really feel bad not seeing my nieces who I love immensely and my relationship to suffer with them because my brother can't understand that a guy with chronic pain from spinal and nerve issues can't just drive over anytime. I know I have to get past this anger I am feeling, but it's hard. You tend to want to just stay away, but like you have said you can't get back that time with family and we all won't be hear forever. And I want to be a part of my nieces lives, as they bring me such joy.
    The one saving grace is my wife's family has been so much better. Her sister came over yesterday for a visit and she always offers to go out and get us things if we need them. My father in law calls me just to see how I am feeling. Just wish my own family could be more understanding

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhistleDixie View Post
    I'm sorry if my feelings are misconstrued as "complaining". Galalena, I share your heartbreak and wishes for a FAMILY meal together. I understand and relate to your feelings of loneliness and sadness with loss, whether through death or strained relationships. I, too, long for what I've described in previous posts whether on this thread or my thread entitled "Not thankful for Thanksgiving". I do now and always have tried to bend (and often break...then shatter) to bring my family together. I know that life is precious (though increasingly painful). I know that my mom @ 87 will not be here much longer. I don't want to live with regret IF I reach my "twilight years".

Our family history is one of verbal and physical abuse from both parents. My mom (even @ 87) is still filled with a need to lash out. However, she is the only mom we will ever have. We are battered little babies in grown up bodies. While I understand my siblings' apathy and avoidance, I don't agree with it. I just feel that I should be able to make it ALL better.

I've tried to appeal to them from the standpoint of "We only see each other at funerals"...We had 11 close family member (including my dad) deaths in 9 months (2 were suicides). There were some of us who were estranged for 6+ years. The "divide" has widened with my mom's manipulations since 2005. I weep for my brothers and sisters. I want us to come together to celebrate the "living" while we still can. We cannot change the past. I BEG my family and BRIBE my family to love me. I put my own health in jeopardy for my mom and my siblings.

Yes, perhaps a more "sane" person would say "forget it" with all the moods and attitudes I tolerate. I can't. I maintain a DR that seats 10, with accommodations for upwards of 20 at a secondary farmhouse table. I WELCOME ALL and love to have my home filled with the "sounds" of family...even my SIL who hates all things "southern"...including my brother=(

I never meant to complain as such. I just wanted a thread for people to express their less than perfect "family" issues as they try to find balance. The holidays are a time that I SO WANT to enjoy with family. I know that a time will come when I will be visited by the ghosts of Christmas past (already am) and present (already am). I fear that the future will be a holiday for 2...my husband and myself. For him I am grateful, all through the year. I am painfully aware that although 2 is lonely...1 is more so. I must not meditate so much on the family that I don't have with me that I fail to CELEBRATE the one that is always here with me. He is perfectly content for just the two of us to spend the holidays alone with our fir kids. I should be too.

gmak...I know that you cope with chronic pain issues, yet are always there to support others. I admire your grace. I apologize for my perceived bitterness.

galalena...I admire your strength and perseverance, too. I've read your posts, too. Although I cannot begin to feel the suffering you have endured, I do understand long suffering, pain and the chaos of seeking treatment. I'm sorry for the issues with your son, but I'm thankful your daughter was with you and your husband.

Perhaps in the year 2014, God will bless us every one and bring our families back together=)

The following user gives a hug of support to cspineguy:
    WhistleDixie (01-26-2014)
    Old 01-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #26
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Hello C...I think there are more of "us" than most are willing to admit. I appreciate your feelings and understand more than you know. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I ask because I wonder if it makes a difference where you are in the "pecking order" of your siblings? At 52, I am the baby...but somehow I've always been the one to make things happen in my family. I've done it for so long, it's expected of me. THEY ALL know I'm not well, but they don't care. I take it so very personally and try to analyze, asking "why?"

I'm sure you try to rationalize your brother's behavior as well. My husband says it's plain and simple. My family is filled with greedy self-absorbed folks who care about no one but themselves. When I'm down about it all (which is often) again asking why? He says it's plain and simple...THEY DON'T CARE!!! I guess my heart won't let me accept that. It's just too painful because FAMILY means SO MUCH to me.

My brother from TX, for whom we bought the plane ticket for has yet to say Thank You...Good God, is a simple email to say I appreciate everything and enjoyed my visit so much, that daunting?

It's good that you have a circle of support, whether it's your in-laws or church family. They are to be treasured=) My husband and I have lost many of our friends in the past year, as they are much older (up to 94). We spend much of our free time trying to assist those in need, and we enjoy being with folks who see life as precious and love the human interaction (that doesn't involve tech gadgets).

I don't have the answers, CS...I wish I did. I woke up this morning truly disappointed that I am alive and have to face another day. Morbid, I know, but it's my truth. I am so tired of the loneliness and suffering...constant pain of this world. I often ask God, why? My pastor says you have to be tested in order to have a testimony. I'm ready for him to find a new student=) Tomorrow is my appointment for consult with a PM doctor. I've not tried this route since 2005. I didn't take well to that protocol and abandoned it after a year or so. I was driving 2.5 hrs. one way. The drive alone (as you mention) did more harm than the doctor did good. Plus, at that time he was pushing more medication onto me than I wanted to take. I DID NOT and DO NOT want to be sedated and medicated to the point that I cannot function. He seemed (at the time) to get angry when I questioned the need for increased dosages or added prescriptions. He bashed me for doing research on the internet and demanded that I blindly follow him without question. He put me through several series of injections (cervical and lumbar) even though injections did nothing to ease my pain. He ramped up my dosage of Neurontin to 2400 mg per day. Not only did I blow up like a balloon from the steroids (I think Neurontin, too) I was a space cadet...could not meet the demands of my career. I had to wave the white flag and just surrender to "living" with my pain, rather than continue PM.

I'm worried about tomorrow. I'm trying to be positive, but I know better=( I just pray that he is kind and understanding first and foremost. If so, the rest will fall into place. I will know within minutes of meeting him. I am by nature Type A personality, almost obsessive perfectionism. I over prepare for everything, whether it's specifications, estimates, bids with work, or a simple list for Wal Mart. I think I should print out a list of modalities, treatments and meds that I have tried so far. I also think that even though he has my records, perhaps it would be helpful to provide a brief timeline/synopsis of surgeries and follow-ups. What do you think? My medical history is overwhelming even for me (and I live it). If I could simplify it on paper for him...would that not be helpful? Side note...He is Egyptian so I worry about clear communication with my thick southern accent (or my ability to understand him--I "hear" slowly, too).

I didn't mean to monopolize your Sunday afternoon with my endless babble. I guess everybody's right...I just need to "shut up and deal with it". Sometimes, though, you just need SOMEBODY to say I understand. THANK YOU for that CS.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #27
    cspineguy
    (male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User
    So sorry what you have been going thru. It is hard unless you have chronic pain to truly understand it. This weekend has been a bad one and at times I just want to scream and say enough!
    As to your question I am turning 47 this year and am technically the middle son. I say this as my older brother is a half brother and we don't have anymore contact with him. This is his choice, as he broke off contact with us after our mother passed away. So it's my younger brother I keep in touch with. So I think I am seen as the older sibling in our family.
    Good luck with your doctor and I think it is a great idea to make a list of your medical history. If anything it may help you when you talk to him to have it as reference and not to forget anything. I have done this, as I find when you are in the appointment there is always something you forget to mention or ask.
    I am going this week for my pain med appointment and hope it goes well. My doctors tend to be on the conservative side and prescribe the least amount to help you function, but not make you a zombie. Hope we both make out well with our appointments and get relief.
    Hope you feel better.

Quote:
    Hello C...I think there are more of "us" than most are willing to admit. I appreciate your feelings and understand more than you know. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I ask because I wonder if it makes a difference where you are in the "pecking order" of your siblings? At 52, I am the baby...but somehow I've always been the one to make things happen in my family. I've done it for so long, it's expected of me. THEY ALL know I'm not well, but they don't care. I take it so very personally and try to analyze, asking "why?" I'm sure you try to rationalize your brother's behavior as well. My husband says it's plain and simple. My family is filled with greedy self-absorbed folks who care about no one but themselves. When I'm down about it all (which is often) again asking why? He says it's plain and simple...THEY DON'T CARE!!! I guess my heart won't let me accept that. It's just too painful because FAMILY means SO MUCH to me. My brother from TX, for whom we bought the plane ticket for has yet to say Thank You...Good God, is a simple email to say I appreciate everything and enjoyed my visit so much, that daunting? It's good that you have a circle of support, whether it's your in-laws or church family. They are to be treasured=) My husband and I have lost many of our friends in the past year, as they are much older (up to 94). We spend much of our free time trying to assist those in need, and we enjoy being with folks who see life as precious and love the human interaction (that doesn't involve tech gadgets). I don't have the answers, CS...I wish I did. I woke up this morning truly disappointed that I am alive and have to face another day. Morbid, I know, but it's my truth. I am so tired of the loneliness and suffering...constant pain of this world. I often ask God, why? My pastor says you have to be tested in order to have a testimony. I'm ready for him to find a new student=) Tomorrow is my appointment for consult with a PM doctor. I've not tried this route since 2005. I didn't take well to that protocol and abandoned it after a year or so. I was driving 2.5 hrs. one way. The drive alone (as you mention) did more harm than the doctor did good. Plus, at that time he was pushing more medication onto me than I wanted to take. I DID NOT and DO NOT want to be sedated and medicated to the point that I cannot function. He seemed (at the time) to get angry when I questioned the need for increased dosages or added prescriptions. He bashed me for doing research on the internet and demanded that I blindly follow him without question. He put me through several series of injections (cervical and lumbar) even though injections did nothing to ease my pain. He ramped up my dosage of Neurontin to 2400 mg per day. Not only did I blow up like a balloon from the steroids (I think Neurontin, too) I was a space cadet...could not meet the demands of my career. I had to wave the white flag and just surrender to "living" with my pain, rather than continue PM. I'm worried about tomorrow. I'm trying to be positive, but I know better=( I just pray that he is kind and understanding first and foremost. If so, the rest will fall into place. I will know within minutes of meeting him. I am by nature Type A personality, almost obsessive perfectionism. I over prepare for everything, whether it's specifications, estimates, bids with work, or a simple list for Wal Mart. I think I should print out a list of modalities, treatments and meds that I have tried so far. I also think that even though he has my records, perhaps it would be helpful to provide a brief timeline/synopsis of surgeries and follow-ups. What do you think? My medical history is overwhelming even for me (and I live it). If I could simplify it on paper for him...would that not be helpful? Side note...He is Egyptian so I worry about clear communication with my thick southern accent (or my ability to understand him--I "hear" slowly, too). I didn't mean to monopolize your Sunday afternoon with my endless babble. I guess everybody's right...I just need to "shut up and deal with it". Sometimes, though, you just need SOMEBODY to say I understand. THANK YOU for that CS.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #28
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Hello again CS...I wish for you success as well, with your appointment this week. I'm sorry you've had a rough weekend. Does the cold weather exacerbate your issues?

Thank you for sharing your family issues. I'm sorry that you and your older brother are out of sync. I don't know which is worse...sitting next to a person (sibling) who seems so distant emotionally...or being apart altogether. I think they are equally heartbreaking, don't you? Perhaps with adequately treated pain, we all could face these issues and learn to accept what we cannot change. I'm just not there yet, are you? I do hope you have a restful evening and the start of a good week=)

Old 01-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #29
    cspineguy
    (male)

Thanks!
    My older brother and I never got along and to be honest I'm glad not to be in touch with him. Let's just say he did a lot of bad things to us, like stealing and such, so although I would never ignore him if I saw him, I wouldn't go looking for him either.
    The cold really does increase my pain. And it's been cold where i am. Also because i can only drive short distances (just around my home) as that also increasses my pain, we had to take public transportation to the lawyer on Friday, in the cold weather. So I think both those things, plus my meds not giving me the best releif has made a bad weekend.
    Hope you also have a restful evening and a good week.

Take Care

Quote:
    Hello again CS...I wish for you success as well, with your appointment this week. I'm sorry you've had a rough weekend. Does the cold weather exacerbate your issues?

Thank you for sharing your family issues. I'm sorry that you and your older brother are out of sync. I don't know which is worse...sitting next to a person (sibling) who seems so distant emotionally...or being apart altogether. I think they are equally heartbreaking, don't you? Perhaps with adequately treated pain, we all could face these issues and learn to accept what we cannot change. I'm just not there yet, are you? I do hope you have a restful evening and the start of a good week=)

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #30
    PhilliesFan20
    (female)

PhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB UserPhilliesFan20 HB User

whistledixie - I can't offer more than moral support, but I offer that in abundance for your upcoming doctor's visit. I know your history of being let down by the so-called professionals we look to for a hand up and I pray this time is different.

CS - I wish you success as well and hope all that is required is a simple adjustment to get your pain meds back to helping you.

I have my fingers crossed for you both.

And I am thankful to everyone here for serving as a substitute family, as mine in miniscule in size, and located miles away in various directions. They try, but can never really understand what it's like to always be in pain and so I rarely discuss my situation with them.

The Following User Says Thank You to PhilliesFan20 For This Useful Post:
    cspineguy (01-27-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    back pain, chronic pain, general health, pain management, womens health