It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board

• 26 and a hot mess!!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
    sgrams
    (female)

sgrams HB User
    26 and a hot mess!!

My name is Sarah and I struggle everyday with chronic pain. For the last five or so years I have been in pain and dealing with horrible headaches, and they only have gotten worse. In addition, have noticed extreme changes with my body. I finally was diagnosed with migraines, cervical osteoarthritis, thyroid disease, depression, anxiety, and most recently, Fibromyalgia. I know that it could be worse in many cases, but I am having trouble dealing with these diseases and the baggage that comes with them. And the doctors are still doing some testing to see if I may have anything else. Anyhow, this hard time in my life has not gotten any better because I really do not have a support system. The only person that I have, besides my doctors, is my mom. My mom is the only person that believes me that im in pain because, she herself, is going through the same thing. My dad thinks it is just in my head because the pain/ ect. is invisible. Even my best friend really doesn't believe me. All I hear is push through it, its your meds that are making you sick and so forth. It is just so sad that my close family and friends don't believe me and have cut me out of their life. But I am truly grateful for my moms support because some people don't even have one supporter, so I am lucky even though I don't have everyone's support. It is very discouraging because I don't go to all these doctors appts or get shots/ burnings in my neck for the fun of it. There is a reasoning for the appointments. I just wanted to reach out to others who may be experiencing and can relate to what I am going through. It would be nice to communicate with someone else besides just my mom, and see their viewpoint on things and how they handle everyday life with an invisible disease. Hope to hear from someone!

Have a great day!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: sgrams
    dedwards (07-23-2014),DrMonkey (09-07-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: 26 and a hot mess!!

Welcome! I can relate to having to deal with so many medical issues / chronic pain at such a young age. Best wishes.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
    cspineguy
    (male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User

sgrams,
    So sorry to hear about your pain. You are not alone, all of us who frequent this board have been dealing with chronic pain, some for a short time and some for many years. You will find many friendly and sympathetic people hear who have a lot of great advice.
    I'm also sorry to hear about a lot of your family and friends not understanding. I know how that feels. I've had friends who have never even talked to me since my condition started and basically left me, as I was too much trouble for them.
    I am lucky to have some family that understands and have helped me so much, but some do not, or try to, but don't totally get it.
    Chronic pain is such an invisible condition and it is so hard feeling so bad, but not visible looking sick. How you feel better

The Following User Says Thank You to cspineguy For This Useful Post:
    sgrams (06-23-2014)
    Old 07-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
    navy1987
    (female)

navy1987 HB Usernavy1987 HB User

sgrams, hi, welcome to the board. I understand completely about someone not believing your pain. It really is difficult. I just try to ignore all of it. It sounds crazy. It use to bother me, but I found the healthboard. I put more time into writing on boards and trying to give others support and ignore all the other stuff. I gave no energy to anyone who did not care about me. It has taken me years and you are young. I too have one supporter, my husband of 25 years. You are so young to have so much to handle. I feel for you. Finding message boards and expressing yourself helps. I know there are a lot for fibro. patients. I wish I had better advise. The world is never going to change unless we keep on and keep our heads high. You and your mother are great important people. I wish you both good health.
    navy1987 Lupus, spinal surgery x3, spinal cord stim., migraines

Old 07-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
    Moonstar22
    (female)

Moonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB UserMoonstar22 HB User

Hi Sarah, I too am sorry that you suffer from chronic pain. I also suffer from it. Your explanation of it being invisible is a great way to explain it & is so true. I don't have much support from anyone & that itself it painful. I have cried over it at times because it makes me feel so lonely and alone.
    You are very young to have all of these health problems. I'm 54 and have been told even by doctors that I'm too young to have the medical problems that I do.
    I find these forums to be very helpful and I hope you do too. You can get some great advise here and vent if you need to as well.
    I hope you can feel better, though I know that's much easier said than done.
    Keep posting, as you can see people are very warm here!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
    beamybea
    (female)

beamybea HB Userbeamybea HB Userbeamybea HB Userbeamybea HB Userbeamybea HB User

Hi! I hope you are doing okay and that the responses you have received have lifted your spirits. As you can see, you are not alone and people understand. It is very sad that you dont have more support. People dont undertsand what they cant see or feel themselves and the unknown causes fear. Also, when people in our lives see us hurting and they cant help, they often pull back because that powerlessness makes them uncomfortable as well. Try to be understanding of that and it will ease your pain from feeling abandoned. Chronic pain is so draining. Physically and emotionally and mentally. Easy does it. Dont overburden yourself with too much.
    Being overwhelmed emotionally will only exacerbate your pain.
    Have faith that you will get what you need. Your mom is such a blessing and you are so right about being fortunate to have her!
    Stay positive. Ask for what you need. As far as the other people, let go with love. I wish you well, bea

Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi sgrams, Welcome & i am so sorry that you are hurting! I can relate because my initial back injury, back surgeries took place when i was 26 also and i have heard all of the " too young" comments but we all understand here because pain is pain especially when it doesnt leave & of course, no one can feel anothers physical pain & some people cant handle that & I lost one of my best friends too after two back surgeries she just couldnt acknowledge that a life changing injury had happened to me. But, good things can happen even after pain, there is life after chronic pain because my whole married life & being a parent etc started after i was hurt & once the pain was managed then i could be excited about my whole life being in front of me again & i hope this for you & we will be here for you!

Last edited by gmak; 07-03-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
    fedup2014
    (female)

fedup2014 HB User

I am so sorry to hear that you feel so alone in this. I too have lost friends. I even had one friend tell me a couple weeks ah " she says you know sometimes people can think themselves sick, especially if they think about it enough" I didn't quite know how to respond to her since I was at her house and I felt to damn rotten and drained for drama.
    I feel for you . Hang in there. I am new to this msg board myself. I posted on it for the first time a couple days ago.
    Good Luck!!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
    dedwards
    (female)

dedwards HB User

I can so relate since I've been dealing with chronic pain from RSD and Cervical Dystonia and most of my family think it all in my head. It's a shame that they can't see what your going through but always remember that there's people here that understand what you're going through.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
    MsPolythenePam
    (female)

MsPolythenePam HB User

My family doesn't believe it either. I get no support and both my best friends have died. One from a leaky fentanyl patch. There's plenty of people here who understand. Sorry you're in pain so young .Mine started at 25 but didn't knock me out until I was 38. Good luck

Reply Reply

Tags
    chronic pain, fibromyalgia, support needed, thyroid disease